Dogfish Head - Indian Brown Ale - Beer Review

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:44 pm
My second beer review.

The Dogfish Head - Indian Brown Ale is brewed and bottled by Dogfish Head Craft Brewery out of Milton, Deleware.

Appearance: This brown ale is dark brown beer. Sitting in front of me at the table it looks almost black. When I hold it up to the light I can barely see through it. It's a bit hazy, which I 'think' means there's still yeast in the beer and it hasn't been filtered out like some beers. I could be wrong here. The head was strong for a few drinks, but quickly began to fade. Some of head stuck to the side of the glass.

Smell: This beer smells pretty smoky and you can definitely smell the caramelized sugar in the beer. I want to say it smells chocolaty, but it may just be the sugar.

Taste: This Indian Brown tastes much the same way it smells. Smoky, sweet, and a little like burnt popcorn covered in caramel. Nothing I can taste in the beer seems too overpowering. It's a good, even taste. It feels good in the mouth too; very smooth. It's not a very thick beer but definitely not watery.

I could probably drink 2 or 3 of these over a couple hours. It would be a bit much for a session beer; not something I would drink while at the ball game.

I would rate it a 4 out of 5. I'm definitely going to try a few more beers from Dogfish Head, I'd suggest you do too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,169 • Replies: 4
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:47 pm
Speaking of beer; I'll be buying a home-brewing kit next weekend and hope to drink my first home-brew by mid May.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:48 pm
@maporsche,
I've read good stuff about that company for a few, maybe several, years now.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, here:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/11/24/081124fa_fact_bilger
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:13 pm
Dogfish came up in the British thread a week or two back--didn't get thru the whole article, so I don't know if they mention it in that, but Dogfish are the people that try to recreate, as authentically as they can, based on known recipes and chemical analysis of residues in ancient drinking vessels and vats, very old beers and beerish sorts of drinks. They've done ones that the original for King Midas might have served at a banquet in Anatolia, pharaohonic beers from Egypt, Sumerian ones, an allegedly druidic one made with heather, and most recently a recreation of a 9000 year old Neolithic one from China, the oldest known one in the world. Taste test results on them seem to be mixed.
0 Replies