Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 03:40 pm
I get a lot of announcements for art shows in my old area - southern california. Once in a while I see something that really catches my eye, which this one did:

Fred Rose; “The Genome of Joseph Merrick and the Secret of
White Burl" 32007, Mixed media

Rose's works interest me most, from the description and this example, but I'd like to see the whole show.

http://www.visualartsource.com/E-Announcements/2010/0310/ElCamino0310/caminoa.jpg
Fred Rose; “The Genome of Joseph Merrick and the Secret of
White Burl," 32007, Mixed media, 60" x 26" x 14".

Please add any gallery shows that are interesting you lately...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,270 • Replies: 13
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Any more of his stuff" I like the work of Sam Maloof and George Nakashima.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:57 pm
@farmerman,
I remember liking Sam Maloof, and recognize Nakashima's name. This seems different, melding concept and burl in a new way. I'm only ahead of you by one step, getting the announcement. I'm curious.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:11 pm
@ossobuco,
El Camino is a junior college in the LA area, unless of course I'm mistaken - that is how I remember it. And good for them for this interesting show.

I haven't googled the artists in the show yet. Which means nothing much re artists except for savvy re having photos online. I think the show concept is a good one (not having looked at the show and how it measures up), and that kind of connectivity would be what I would do if I opened a new gallery on my own.

farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 07:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Ill be in STOCKTON in the next month and I wonder whether there arent any galleries that feature works by the CAlif plein aire and landscape artists of the 20's through the 70's.

Maybe I can get my ass out of STockton after meetings and head back to SF and spend some time, or run up to Sacto and hunt the state museum.

When I lived in Sacto, I think I devoured all the available museums and found them fairly sparse at the time. (late 80's)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:03 pm
@farmerman,
Ok, ok, I'll noodle about. Nag me if I fail to post.

What state museum? (mine was the first show at the California Arts Council, albeit in the downstairs cafe). I'm ignorant of Sacramento though I've been there a few times in the last decade and still have pals there, not arts folks.
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Dont you remember the Crocker?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Off hand, very off hand, when we were carting my stuff up to Sacto, we stopped to see the Hauk gallery in Monterey. The then principals invited us to their house for a glass of wine, and explained that Steinbeck lived there for a bit. I was just a watcher in all that conversation, but I take them as a good gallery at the time and maybe even now. They seemed to be keepers of the flame and also interested in other work.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:16 pm
@farmerman,
Yes, I saw Thiebauds there. I also saw Thiebaud at our gallery, when he came to see one of his student's work, although he appeared anonymously.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:24 pm
@ossobuco,
So, is the Crocker the State Museum? I have roots in Sacramento, went by the old house (photos from the early 1900's). I suppose I should try to contact the present owners.

On the other hand, I am primarily a visitor for a week or two at at time not very often. I have friends who have bought up old houses and fixed them up over years and years in the heart of sacramento.
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:27 pm
@ossobuco,
No, the crocker is a private art museum. I just mispeak and call all museums in capitals as "state". Scuze p[leese
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:31 pm
@farmerman,
Well, I can't set you straight as I have no idea re what is going on in sacramento -

so, that's two of us.

Back later if I figure out anything useful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:02 pm
On the Hauk Gallery -

I know nothing, but this is a link -

http://www.artnet.com/gallery/514/hauk-fine-arts.html
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Huh, Millard Sheets..

0 Replies