Should we stop Old Ironside’s cannons?

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 11:06 am
In November, some Charlestown neighbors had asked the Captain of the USS Constitution to reduce the size of the gunpowder charge, turn down the national anthem and eliminate weekend ceremonies altogether.

The captain did try to use a smaller amount of gunpowder to lessen the cannon noise, only to conclude the ceremony just wasn’t the same.

In the wake of the kerfuffle, local residents and politicians as well as out-of-towners have rallied round the nation’s oldest commissioned naval vessel with calls, letters and e-mails of support.

The 204-foot USS Constitution will continue its twice-daily blasts along with playing the national anthem - although officials turned the ship around in Boston Harbor on Feb. 18 so the echoing booms are directed away from Charlestown residences. And the booming and National Anthem will continue.

WTF? This has been a tradition since 1798. Didn’t these boneheads buying property nearby realize this? What next " people in the surrounding areas near the airport are going to ask them not to fly planes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 4,362 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 11:16 am
@Linkat,
This always happens when a neighborhood becomes yuppified. Back when Charlestown was a blue-collar neighborhood with people struggling just to pay their rents nobody would have dreamed of complaining about some noise being made by a US Navy ship. Now that the up-and-coming junior executive types have discovered Charlestown, it's a different ballgame. Sad situation. These people move into existing neighborhoods and try to change them into their own image. You know you're in trouble when you see a Starbuck's opening on every second street corner.
Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 11:20 am
@Merry Andrew,
Those condos have been there for a while as well - maybe there are some newer not 100% sure. Even Nomar had a condo there at one time. I had some friends that rented condos right next to Old ironside - beautiful spot - and would you find hearing the National Anthem disturbing?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 11:24 am
If the anthem played at 6am every Saturday morning I'd be disturbed! What times do they do this?
JTT

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 11:27 am
Deja revu all over again.

Just take it out and sink it. It would make a good reef for some fish.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 11:35 am
@littlek,
8 am and at dusk. But this has been going for quite some time. If you don't like noise then why the h*ll would you buy a condo next to the USS Constitution?
JTT

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 11:39 am
Don't wanna stop the good ole propaganda, comrades.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 11:43 am
@JTT,
JTT, get a life, huh?
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 11:48 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

In November, some Charlestown neighbors had asked the Captain of the USS Constitution to reduce the size of the gunpowder charge, turn down the national anthem and eliminate weekend ceremonies altogether.

Surely some of the residents must have argued that they were doing it because their kids were scared of the loud noises, and that "somebody must think of the children!" That's the argument that always works when all other arguments fail. It's the nuclear option of arguments.
JTT

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 11:49 am
@Merry Andrew,
I see you like the propaganda, comrade.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 12:12 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

8 am and at dusk. But this has been going for quite some time.

Well, actually it's not 'dusk' but sunset when the colors ceremony is done in the evening (by all naval units of any country by the way, at anchor and in ports).
For the USNavy: see Article 1206 of the Naval Regulations >here<[/b].

Since the USS Constitution is a fully commissioned US Navy ship and in active service ...
Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 12:25 pm
@joefromchicago,
Surprisingly no - but they did mention how it alarmed their guests on weekends when they were entertaining.
roger

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 01:27 pm
I've always had a problem when the yuppies moved into a rural area and proceded to try to ban the existing livestock. I mean, rural means cows, pigs, and stuff like that, right? But cannon? Have you ever heard a cannon? Bet anything that when real estate salespeople show properties, they make darn sure it's not when they set off the cannon.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 01:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Corrected link from above (Flags, pennants, honors, ceremonies and customs)

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 01:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That's not so bad. I hear worse gunfire in my neighborhood during the summer.
Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:00 pm
@roger,
Anyone from the area would know about the cannon going off. It is a huge deal around here - I could see maybe a foreigner or some one unfamilar with area quite possibly. But one of the attractions of being in Charlestown is the historical crap especially old Ironside. I bet many purchased to get a view of the ship.

And there is always the opportunity to sell - it is in a highly desireable location.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:02 pm
@joefromchicago,
And to add off that - if you live in the city, there is noise plain and simple.

Now that spring is starting, I'm hearing those damn birds chirping first thing in the morning. Maybe I could complain about getting rid of them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:03 pm
@roger,
I've heard that as well. Damn that pig farm stinks can't we get rid of the pigs!

Bonehead - why the hell did you buy near a pig farm then.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:07 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Surprisingly no - but they did mention how it alarmed their guests on weekends when they were entertaining.

When I was a kid, we had an old guy in our neighborhood -- I'll call him Mr. D. He was a tinkerer, making all sorts of odd gadgets and such. His pride and joy, however, were two miniature cannons -- I figure about one-eighth size, came up to about an adult's knees. He'd wheel these out to his front lawn on July Fourth and fire them off for the benefit of the whole neighborhood. Although small in size, those things were loud.

Anyway, one year we were planning on leaving for vacation early on the morning of July Fourth. Mr. D found out, and he didn't want us to miss the cannon-firing ceremony, so he wheeled out one of his cannons and shot it off just for us -- it was probably about 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning. Well, a new family had moved in next door to Mr. D. earlier that year and they were unaware of this tradition, so a few seconds after Mr. D. fired the cannon the new neighbor came running out of his house in his bathrobe, probably thinking that the commies had invaded.

Definitely one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:37 pm
By god, a whiff of grapeshot would do the trick . . . have Old Ironsides lay alongside and put a few bar shot or chain into those yuppie condos and i'll bet they'd shut up right quick . . .
0 Replies