MontereyJack

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:42 pm
Set, I like it.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:48 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I see you like the propaganda, comrade.

And just what 'propaganda' would that be...uh...comrade?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:50 pm
@MontereyJack,
You betcha . . . simple and effective . . . the best solutions always are . . .
Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:02 pm
@joefromchicago,
awesome!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:02 pm
@Setanta,
Makes sense to me.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 12:28 pm
When the story was first reported in the Boston Globe, it was slanted by the reporter as young yuppie neighbors trying to stop an honorable tradition. The actual letters from the neighbors were reasonable. They were not trying to get the tradition stopped. They made a modest request that the daily ceremony be held at a later time on Sunday mornings. They had no problem with the regular weekday ceremony. I had the impression that the reporter was trying to cast the conflict as more dramatic than it actually was.
Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:14 pm
@wandeljw,
I don't know - this was reported by more than just the Globe. It has been on local news stations as well. What the captain did do to compromise was to face the cannons so to be in the opposite facing direction of the neighbors who have complained.

Here is a quote from one of the neighbors: The unidentified neighbor wrote to Commander Timothy Cooper:

"Over the summer, we have entertained several times, and we have had guests sit up in shock when the cannon goes off. It has also awakened them at 8 a.m. while they are vacationing and then blasted them at sunset, a time that catches even us (8-year condo owners) off-guard since it occurs at a different time even evening."
http://wbztv.com/local/uss.constitution.cannons.2.1298785.html
Doesn't sound like they were only suggesting Sunday morning.

For arguments sake, even if it was just for Sunday, this has been going on for quite some time. And they should not have purchased a home nearby if they felt this would be bothersome. It isn't something new or surprising.
0 Replies