A crazy black magic software problem.

BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 04:06 pm
I love Microsoft not………….

Just got done pulling what little hair I had remaining when my desktop would no longer hook up with the internet.

By using my little net book and the software package, wire shark was able to find to my amazement that the only time that the desktop would even send out a DNS request to the router was when I ask it to go to Microsoft.com!!!!! It would then go to the old mother ship but nowhere else.

The XP restore points were all no good to add to my joy and I ended up needing to do a complete system restore using my last complete system backup that date back three months.

Thank god all my users/docs files had backups that date back only a few days so I could overwrite everything with little pain except for the time it took to transfer 50 G of files over a USB connection.

This is all Microsoft black magic and here I am dealing with an OS that had been around for ten years and a browser IE7 that been around for a few years.

Oh before I did a complete restore off my external drive I did the normal things like looking at my host file and running my anti-virus scan and putting a few pins into my Bill Gates doll.

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 04:21 pm
@BillRM,
Why don't you switch to Mac or Linux already? Not because of the computer problems, that'd be silly, but because you clearly have such a problem with Microsoft and have already decided you don't want to upgrade past their decade-old OS. Instead of personifying all your problems in Bill Gates (you do know he has been retired from Microsoft for a while now right?) you could switch to Steve Jobs or something.

It'd be way cooler, because for starters as a Mac user you really would be getting Steve's personal touch a lot more, and plus Steve is an asshole (a genius, but still) while Gates is the greatest philanthropist of all time.

So what is keeping you there instead of using a Mac or Linux? You can virtualize any program you are stuck with. I for one am looking forward to your rants about Steve Jobs or Linus Torvalds.

Please switch. If for nothing else consider us on a2k who might want some variety in our insane obsessive rants.
BillRM

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 05:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I am already starting to run Red Hat Linus on my desktop my friend on a second drive with a nice hardware switch to throw between the two drives.

As I been a Microsoft person from the days of dos 3.1 my software library is mainly tie to that OS and it take time to transfer from one family of OS to another still XP is the end of the old line for me as far as Microsoft is concern.

What is annoying is I still will not be able to get completely away from Microsoft as I am often call upon to aid families and friends dealing with Vista and Window 7 problems even now. Getting printers to be willing to be share over a network when you have 32 XP systems and 64 Vista systems is not even a simple task unless you know that the idiots rename the default home network and that you can not get the correct printer driver installs over the network when you have both 32 and 64 systems.

Then tell me Gentel how the hell do you think that the ordinary home user is going to deal with such strange problems as windows deciding for some strange reason not to send out DNS requests to the router except microsoft.com? By being, willing to send out a DNS request to the Microsoft website the build in troubleshooting feature cheerfully reported that there was nothing wrong with the internet connection!

How many people are going to have wire shark or know how to use it to troubleshoot further for example?

How many people are going to keep complete backups of their hard drives so when the damn restore points does not work they still have something to fall back on?

Do you get pay for being a supporter of Mr. Gates?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 04:24 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
I am already starting to run Red Hat Linus...

That's Linux, not Linus. But it's more than a bit humorous that you've already begun to personify Linux as its creator.

Quote:
As I been a Microsoft person from the days of dos 3.1 my software library is mainly tie to that OS and it take time to transfer from one family of OS to another still XP is the end of the old line for me as far as Microsoft is concern.

Yeah, you've said that already. I'm just trying to hurry you along so we can hear you rant about another company that is behind all your computing woes.

Quote:
What is annoying is I still will not be able to get completely away from Microsoft as I am often call upon to aid families and friends dealing with Vista and Window 7 problems even now.

It's not as bad as realizing you won't give up the irrational obsessions. I think we get the raw end of this deal.

Quote:
Getting printers to be willing to be share over a network when you have 32 XP systems and 64 Vista systems is not even a simple task unless you know that the idiots rename the default home network and that you can not get the correct printer driver installs over the network when you have both 32 and 64 systems.

Yeah, cause I was totally talking about printers. Makes perfect sense to rant about to me.

Quote:
Then tell me Gentel how the hell do you think that the ordinary home user is going to deal with such strange problems as windows deciding for some strange reason not to send out DNS requests to the router except microsoft.com?

Probably less obsessively than you, without the talk about pins in Bill Gates dolls. Basically a great deal less insanity.

Quote:
By being, willing to send out a DNS request to the Microsoft website the build in troubleshooting feature cheerfully reported that there was nothing wrong with the internet connection!

Appaling. But let me again just recommend you ditch Windows and be done with it. Singularly focused rants aren't as entertaining.

Quote:
How many people are going to have wire shark or know how to use it to troubleshoot further for example?

3. One to hold it and two to spin the ladder.

By the way, give up on Windows already. You might blow a gasket if you don't.

Quote:
How many people are going to keep complete backups of their hard drives so when the damn restore points does not work they still have something to fall back on?

Oh I don't know, see I don't always hear that conversation in your head and I didn't even know we were talking about backups and restore points. Anyway, you forgot the part where you do this:

Quote:
Do you get pay for being a supporter of Mr. Gates?

You can't possibly be that thick. I'm here trying to convince you to leave Windows but you think I'm a Gates supporter?

Nonsense, I'm just not nearly as inflicted by the crazy. What I support is more variety in my doses of internet crazy folk. Seriously now, switch to Mac before you switch to "Linus". There's just not as much material available to work with for Torvalds as there is for Jobs.
djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:16 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
I am already starting to run Red Hat Linus

Mr. Linus would never wear a red hat, it would clash with his bruises

http://unsong.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/benjamin-linus.jpg
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 11:38 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Nonsense, I'm just not nearly as inflicted by the crazy. What I support is more variety in my doses of internet crazy folk. Seriously now, switch to Mac before you switch to "Linus

My so call computer expert you do know what the Mac used as the foundation of it OS now correct?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 01:11 pm
@BillRM,
Once again in English (or any other actual language) please.
BillRM

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 01:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Poor baby hint dos was the foundation of windows 3.1, 95 and 98 and those windows versions were just in fact shells for the dos OS.

Now question what is below the current Mac OS in a similar manner to dos and some versions of windows?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 05:55 pm
@BillRM,
What's with the stupid pop quiz?

P.S. nobody needs hints about your silly did-you-know-OSX-is-based-on-Unix question. But it's Unix, not Linux so the point you were trying to make about me telling you to try Linux first is nonsensical.

Now if you are done with your insane ramblings and completely unrelated questions and quizzes (replete with ridiculous hints) why don't you answer my simple question:

If you have already decided to quit using Windows, why don't you switch already instead of fixating on Bill Gates and ranting so much about it? What on earth is keeping you from doing it already? Do you need some help with Linux or Mac? I will volunteer to help you switch to either just for some variety in your insane rants.
BillRM

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 09:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
But it's Unix, not Linux so the point you were trying to make about me telling you to try Linux first is nonsensical.

My my you do know a little bit about computers not a hell of a lot but a little bit at least.

I do not remember by the way stating the under the hood OS was Linux now did I?

However my computer expert you might or sadly might not be aware that Linux were design from it very beginning to be functional identical to UNIX even if the assembly coding of the functions are not the same, in order to get around the UNIX copyrights and give to the world a free UNIX type OS.

Quote:
If you have already decided to quit using Windows, why don't you switch already instead of fixating on Bill Gates

Did I not already state that it takes time to leave one OS for another and I am in the process of doing so? Wine is a nice program but it does not allow me to run all my somewhat vast software library of Microsoft base programs and it take time to build up a similar library for the Linux OS.

Second, as long as I unlike you live in the real universe I will be dealing with Microsoft OS versions for the rest of my life no matter what OS I am running on my own machines.

I am fairly sure I can get my wife to also move to Linux and she is now playing with this OS on one of her computers that I had set up to be a dual boot system for her. The poor woman had been in fact dealing herself with post XP Microsoft OSs in helping out family member and she is about as happy as I am with Vista and Windows 7 OSs.

However that does not mean that the next time a family member or friend call me with panic in his or her voice about a computer problem the OS will not be a damn Microsoft one now does it?

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 09:10 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
I do not remember by the way stating the under the hood OS was Linux now did I?

You launched into the pop quiz when I suggested you try Linux before Mac. What else would possibly make sense to do that for if not to suggest that it was the same difference?

Quote:
However my computer expert you might or sadly might not be aware that Linux were design from it very beginning to be functional identical to UNIX even if the assembly coding of the functions are not the same, in order to get around the UNIX copyrights and give to the world a free UNIX type OS.

Bill, using a Mac and using Linux is going to be very different. Trust me.

Quote:
Did I not already state that it takes time to leave one OS for another and I am in the process of doing so?

I'm basically just asking you how long you are going to take, it's been months that we've been hearing about this eventual transition. Most folk don't agonize over their switch from Windows so much and they seem to have an easier time of it. Maybe if Linux is so hard you might be happier with a Mac? I'm just saying that it just doesn't have to be this hard man. Most of us seem to suffer so much less at the hands of our computers and you seem like you'd be so much happier if you could get out from under Bill Gate's iron fisted rule in your life.

These are just tools man, if you don't like one you get another. You don't see a guy whining about his hammer for months he just gets another hammer.

Quote:
Second, as long as I unlike you live in the real universe I will be dealing with Microsoft OS versions for the rest of my life no matter what OS I am running on my own machines.

Oh boy.

Quote:
However that does not mean that the next time a family member or friend call me with panic in his or her voice about a computer problem the OS will not be a damn Microsoft one now does it?

This is what I feared, you aren't ever going to let go of this one are ya? Bill's got you by the short and curlies and we'll just have to hear about this one for the rest of your computing life.
panzade

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 09:16 pm
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1540/popcorng.gif
Seed

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 09:19 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1540/popcorng.gif
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 09:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yes as Bill Gates is as near to the Anti Christ as anyone could be in the eyes of an old Atheist.

Lord for the good old days when the OS was there to support the programs you wish to run and not be the center of attention or the main user of the system CPU cycles.

Nor did the OS demand to call home every 90 days to be sure it is still a license copy as the new patch version of window 7 will require!!!!!!!

0 Replies