"ParetoLogic File Cure" is it a scam?

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 11:23 pm
Me thinks my son loaded this 'ParetoLogic File Cure' program after he was unable to open up a file. He said he didn't. That's beside the point I know. Now I want to know if this program can turn nasty. It says I have "15 extention errors" and is asking me for a key number. I assume I have to pay to get this key. What I need to know now is.. should I uninstall this program ASAP? I don't intend paying for it because I already pay for my Anti Virus. Any advice is always appreciated. drillersmum.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 76 • Views: 323,301 • Replies: 103
Topic Closed

dadpad

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 01:05 am
WARNING! DO NOT use the Pareto Logic "File Cure" program!

Here's what happens when you don't PAY like they so persistently suggest. Over and Over.
Quote:
It all started after I purchased an Internet TV program called PCSHOWBuzz. THAT was my 1st MISTAKE!

I didn't pay for their "Recommended" download and I suddenly got a number prompts saying "There has been an attempt to expose my credit card information over the internet" and I got one after another, each related to this spyware causing offer!! Trojan horses, virus alerts, the whole nine yards. I had McAvee and reinstalled Avast to eventually eliminated all the attacks.
It took me hours to delete this embedded trojan out of my Vista and IE.
This has been a nightnmare and I don't see anyone else's review saying this so I guess they have all been suppressed by this bogus system "Cure"!!!
http://www.qweas.com/downloads/system/file-disk-management/reviews-paretologic-filecure.html
dadpad

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 01:08 am
Quote:
Pros: No pros, It just looks nice at first.

Cons: after i tried using the scan, it told me to register at their website before it can fix the files.. so i did, then the next page that came up wanted me to buy their... whatever. Nothing happened. Didn't even have an uninstall option.
================================================================

Pros: The good news... I ?always" check CNET reviews 1st for a reliable, quick snapshot of products/software. Thanks, User Reviewers & thank you CNET for helping me (once again) dodge a bullet.

Cons: The (almost) bad news...Because I was in such a big hurry, this download almost slipped through. I had forgotten the...um...less than savory practices of the parent company encountered in the past.
Summary: - I suppose this is a "pre-emptive" review - Fortunately I did not HAVE to endure the "slings & arrows" presented by purveyors of unsatisfactory products. All credit to our intrepid User?s decision to "take arms against the sea of troubles" with their insightful reviews.

High Seas

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 01:29 pm
@dadpad,
Good work, Dadpad - looked up their free download site which claims a link to Symantec, helpfully spelled "symnatec" (sic):
Quote:
Free download paretologic virus scam symnatec Files at Software Informer - ParetoLogic Anti-Spyware is a powerful yet easy to use application that offers an ...

The site is a transparent scam - and it's the first item that comes up on a Google search for "paretologic virus scam". The amazing thing is that they seem to have been operating for years - at least since this editor's review dated 2006, posted in "www.softpedia.com"
Quote:
Sep 28, 2006 ... 2) Linked Virus info Base is much better than AVG ... the site is nothing more than a scam site that you need to be VERY VERY careful of. ...
drillersmum

Wed 3 Mar, 2010 02:53 am
@dadpad,
Thanks to everyone who responded to my query. Fortunately for me I was able to uninstall it satisfactorily and it is now gone, to the best of my knowledge. Fingers crossed.
Now what about something called RegWork? I should have done some Googling first before I asked you about it. That is what I am going to do right now. In the meantime, someone might know if this is a kosha program or another piece of dirty work. Just another thing my son did thinking he was doing the right thing. I have asked him nicely if he'd not download anymore program on MY computer.
High Seas

Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:20 am
@drillersmum,
drillersmum wrote:
...Now what about something called RegWork?..

Why take a chance - if you want to clean your registry (among many other useful tasks) download CCleaner from here >
http://www.ccleaner.com/
> it's freeware and can't hurt anything on your computer. Make sure you have the registry backup option checked before you start:
Quote:
Registry cleaner
Advanced features to remove unused and old entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more... also comes with a comprehensive backup feature.
0 Replies

mike bud

Thu 11 Mar, 2010 10:12 am
@dadpad,
you are right however filecure is a scam.
0 Replies

Myrrydyn

Sat 8 May, 2010 07:15 am
@drillersmum,
The scan is free, as with most antivirus progs, but you have to pay the fee if you want the prog.you can also delete the prog easily.No big deal either way, it won't hurt your computer to leave it, but its your computer, your choice, keep it or lose it. I use Pareto Logic products and have no problems with them....been using RegCure for years and love it!
I don't mind paying for progs that work,but won't pay for things that don't
Frank Mosher

Fri 14 May, 2010 03:43 am
I can't seem to be able to delete it? Could someone please enlighten me. Tks.
Frank Mosher, [email protected]
gpolubes

Sun 30 May, 2010 03:53 am
@High Seas,
Thanks for the citation of quotes!
The program is anounced as "Tested spyware free" at CNET http://download.cnet.com/FileCure/3000-2084_4-75000187.html
but all users reviews are negative.

I have simple evident which warned me against installing that SCAM.
I found on my folder C:\Config.Msi 55,000 files with unknown extentions RBF and one with RBS (now I know that all them are just Microsoft's "RollBack Script" files).
I googled "RBF FILE" and the first link was: http://www.filetypeshelp.com/types/RBF.html?keyword=Rbf%20file&gclid=CMf11tPG-aECFQgEZgodFH7qHQ that promissed the following:
"Solution: Opening and fixing .RBF files is easy. We suggest you download and run the .RBF File Open & Repair Tool which will scan your computer for the missing components required to open the .RBF files and install them for you. It shouldn't take more than 2 minutes." Fantastic! They know missing components!!! I didn't beleave them and tried to look inside each file by notepad.exe first. This way I easy detected that ALL these RBF files are just a collection for very different applications (most of them were HTML, GIF and some other, leaved occasionally by aborted installation of "NX5 Unigraphics Documentation". And to open most of them is enough just to rename their extentions according their original file types (.gif .html and so on)

--Gennadii
High Seas

Sun 30 May, 2010 03:38 pm
@gpolubes,
gpolubes wrote:

Thanks for the citation of quotes!
The program is anounced as "Tested spyware free" at CNET http://download.cnet.com/FileCure/3000-2084_4-75000187.html
but all users reviews are negative.

I have simple evident which warned me against installing that SCAM.
--Gennadii

Glad you found our forum useful, Gennadii. If you ran both CCleaner (remember the check the registry option) and Spybot (including the immunization option), then ran Secunia PSI to update all your programs, and you still have problems, come back here and I'm sure someone will help you.
HardyGirl

Thu 3 Jun, 2010 06:15 pm
@dadpad,
Oh thank you. I'm having huge troubles getting rid of it. I think I got it with the website for online work email address. I deleted it, I used crap cleaner, which got rid of it somewhere else, but it's still there, cuz it comes up with my Avast, and I've told it to block ParetoLogic Filecure and ParetoLogic Inc. I'm still having lots of computer problems since it showed up on my computer.
0 Replies

windsail

Thu 10 Jun, 2010 09:12 am
File Cure simply directs you to open certain types of files (ie script files). These usually open in your browser. IT is not a scam, just a useful utility.
accord96

Sun 20 Jun, 2010 03:53 pm
@drillersmum,
No too sure if you are familiar with what the program is made for. From what I have read it tells users what program will open which file extension. You do have to pay for it as it is not a free application. I didn't want to pay so I went into the add/remove programs in my control panel and simply removed it.

To get the license key you do have to pay, but I don't really get what your line "I don't intend paying for it because I already pay for my Anti Virus." means as they are two completly different types of programs.

whoopsmypc

Fri 2 Jul, 2010 04:01 pm
@accord96,
There are plenty of legitimate free websites that catalog various file extensions and what programs use them. Why pay $40 to $50 for a piece of bloatware with limited usefulness that is misleadingly advertised as "free", when you can do the same thing with a quick internet search that costs nothing beyond what you pay for your web access, and a little bit of your time and brain power?
0 Replies

mark0613

Sun 4 Jul, 2010 07:11 am
@Frank Mosher,
U gotta find the file location and when you find it under neath of the file you'll see another file that'll uninstall it...
dknichol

Fri 20 Aug, 2010 02:02 pm
Point by point occurrence:
- installed a game with unknown file ext.
- webbed for a search @ Microsoft's prompt (WIN XP)
- Paretologic web site popped up immediately, with no prompt from me
- Dumb me read their blurb & downloaded
- ran the scan & was told what I already know about my system -and that I must BUY
- @ deletion in Add/Remove Programs there is another button that says "Get It Free"
- Dumber me done that. If I accept another free trial for a product of my choice, I can have "File Cure" for free. I choose another "FREE" trial - hey maybe this a sweet deal! Then I am asked for my credit card #

What really got me; was that they are piggy backing off Microsoft, and they are not recognized by them as an affiliate PERIOD.

As a Fine Finish Painter Craftsman; if I do what they do, you would run me out of your house. This is double speak. If their product is "Good," then why do they have to go around gathering clients in this manner? In my book this is lying & stealing
0 Replies

singerman55

Fri 20 Aug, 2010 09:54 pm
This product is advertised deceptively. It offers a FREE DOWNLOAD. So you download...install...it scans your computer..."You have 57 regristry errors" Get the key and activate your product (it won't work without the key) with a special discount price of $29.95 by adding your credit card info. First they want to help you and offer a FREE software download and then want to charge you to make it work. This is so deceptive!!!!! Don't even try the stuff. I have not seen one positive review on this product. Be warned!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Pensioner

Thu 2 Sep, 2010 07:36 pm
ParetoLogic File Cure is it a scam? pay your money as I did and two months later I am still trying to install and activate ParetoLogic File Cure that answers the question It is a Scam I gave them half my monthly old age pension last month they won I lost.
Vicki054

Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:33 am
I also opened FileCure, it scanned my computer, and like everyone else, it asked me to register for money. I didn't do it; unfortunately somehow they sent a Trojan into my computer. I now have no run32dll.exe, every file with a dll extension opens directly to FileCure and all the others ask, "Open with FileCure" or "Open with Windows". FileCure has totally destroyed my computer and I don't even have run32dll.exe in my system file to remove FileCure. This has been a nightmare for months. HELP!!!!! SCAM!!!! TROJAN!!!