anyone ever worked for Macy's/sears/jc penny

brahmin

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 11:25 am
hi.

I have just got an email from macy's asking me to appear tomorrow for an interview for the post of a "retail counter manager".

It would be a great help if someone could tell me what sort of qualities they could be looking for. I have never worked in any retail shop in usa before - so if anyone has experience of working in macy's or as a "Retail counter manager" in similar chains like jc penny or sears then would you please give m some tips about what to say and what not to.

Thanks very much everyone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,592 • Replies: 10
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 11:39 am
I never worked at Macy's although I have worked in several retail positions for different stores. Retailers generally want someone who is knowledgeable about the type of merchandise, whether it is cookware or books or clothes. If you aren't knowledgeable, you should at least like what is being sold.

In general, small retail establishments can be nicer to work at than larger ones but there are exceptions to both cases.

You should be personable and direct but not over-bearing. People who smile and look others directly in the eye are wanted as salespeople.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 12:01 pm
@brahmin,
As a business owner, I want to know that if I put you in contact with customers, you'll ensure that they leave with a better experience after working with you than they would have otherwise.

I would explictly state this in a form like this: "Mr Interviewer, you need to hire me for this job. I am the best candidate you'll interview for this position for the following reasons, [reason1], [reason2], [reason3] (make these quick, meaningful, honest 1-liners). My goal in working with your customers is to give them a better impression when they leave the store than when they first came in. This is important regardless of what they've bought or how much they've spent, if anything. Today's non-sale is tomorrow's future-customer, and as an employee of Macy's I will be an asset to the future success of this store's sales, and thusly the company itself."

I would then refer back to those 3 points in other questions in the interview.

Look at every question from the point of view of your employer, and all of your answers should serve to show how your employement can benefit THEM.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:29 pm
i take both your points - and i shall try to keep them in mind. thank you.

Does "retail counter manager" mean that i will be at the cash counter?? Then there wont be much of an element of sales/interacting with customers.

Either way i' be interested. but is there some special must-have quality that a "retail counter manager" may need??

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:37 pm
@brahmin,
You probably need a good deal of patience if you're going to be a manager. If an unruly and unsatisfied customer feels she isn't being appropriately responded to regarding a dispute (pricing wise or a product return or whatever) she'll call on the supervisor or the manager. The manager will have to access the situation fairly regarding the cashier or store employee and the alleged position of the customer. Sometimes, you will find yourself defending the store and the employee, if so you must be able to tactfully and diplomatically handle the customer without dragging the situation into becoming a larger fiasco or getting other customers involved.

And sometimes, you will have to take the side of the customer and then possible face some negative repercussions with your employees under your supervision. It's all a game of diplomacy and compromise.

As for these big name stores? You will need to be articulate, have a professional demeanor, and perhaps a sunny attitude. It's a relative high standard considering the modest wage.

Good luck with the interview brahmin! Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
You will probably be bouncing from cashier station to cashier station. And interactions with the customers will come from your travels between these stations and with those customers having disputes with the cashiers.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
A word of advice if you can stomach the nerves. Go to the store where the interview is taking place about an hour before the interview and take a walk around and absorb the interactions of the employees. See if you can find both positive and negative aspects of their routines.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:42 pm
I don't know, but I am guessing there might be some period of training, even a few hours. (I'm remembering David Sedaris' video on being a Christmas Elf, not that that is what you are applying for.)
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:05 pm
thank you again everyone.

no its not a manager's job - they just use the name just like the may i help you types in indian call centers are known as call center executives.

right about the articulate, professional demeanor. its after all a big chain. so i will try to talk like to the HR team of a top company.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:41 pm
@brahmin,
i think i owe everyone a reply.

yes i did turn up for the interview. but i guess i was deemed a bit over-qualified. also lacking in retail experience. they asked me if i would be willing to undergo training in baltimore. i said i didnt mind. they said they will follow it up. i dont think i made it. but thank you very much all of you.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 07:15 pm
@brahmin,
I wonder if there are any other jobs within the system, say, in your over qualified realm, or other similar companies.
And, they may follow up - I'm not sure they'd say that if they didn't mean it, there may have been a fair amount of applicants and I doubt they'd dangle some possibility at everyone.
On the other hand, maybe they do.

0 Replies