Random thoughts from the moose cave.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:01 pm
@Rockhead,
I betcha that physical therapy guy could get you some ramp-building gigs (we pay a LOT for that to be done on some of our files).
Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:10 pm
@ehBeth,
actually, I have work scheduled that will keep me busy making good money until christmas, if I can ever get back out in the shop and fire up the welder.

one vintage volks and two old mopars...

it's very frustrating.

I think Ima start back on nights next week.

be up in the morning to make him breakfast, then get up in time to fix him dinner and get him to bed.

with the whole night to get stuff done.

I'm dreaming, probably, but that's my goal...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 03:28 pm
@ehBeth,
the construction game here is very cut-throat. and there are lotsa unemployed carpenters aboot.

while I am competent from my gig as a contractors assistant 20 some years ago, I am not truly a carpenter.

and it's 105 outside...

if someone asked and offered me some reasonable cash (say my neighbors) I would do another one.

otherwise I need to keep slogging slowly forward back into respectability with my chosen talent. melting metal back together over crusty crumbles...

I feel better charging big money for something uniquely mine.

there's not a lot of good automotive metalworkers around anymore...
ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 05:40 pm
@Rockhead,
ornamental ironworkers get serious ka-ching here
it's a rare trade

it is really hard to get a contractor or handyman around here - people pay to have guys come in from 2 - 3 hours away - sometimes put them up in motels - if you find a good handyman, you make sure you've got his favourite foods/beverages on hand at all times
Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 05:42 pm
@ehBeth,
yeah...

I keep beer for my electrician.

my neighbor 25 years ago had an ornamental iron shop.

I liked to go over there and play.

too much beer and a divorce took it away from him...

he showed me how to do a spiral staircase. by hand...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 05:45 pm
welp...

smoky wanted early dinner tonight.

so I gotta go serve.

I left it hot on the stove while he went to do his bathroom thing.

we are going through a lot less diapers.

he's trying really hard. he just doesn't grasp a lot of what is going on around him right now.

he's done being mad at me for now, though.

and he likes my cooking.

pork cutlet with cream gray, fried taters and onions, and butter beans tonight...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 12:08 pm
today is working more smoothly.

while I was watering the garden, the head case worker came by.

apparently the nurse that was here last Friday wanted her to come and see the place.

except the nurse came again today and freaked out at the difference. and called her to say nevermind, we weren't gonna need her...

but she came anyways to meet smoky and tell me what an unexpected surprise I was.

and everyone has the correct scheduling and phone procedure now.

gonna take smoky to town for a big grocery run, and to get what we need for me to fix his bathroom so he can bathe...

it's verra HOT...
mismi

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 12:09 pm
@Rockhead,
Smokey is a lucky man. Glad to see the nurse knows he has someone on his side. Worry about you though.

Take care.
mis
Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 12:15 pm
@mismi,
most of the time, he would disagree with you.

I'm a big burr in his saddle just now.

but he wouldn't let anyone else do for him. even his granddaughter is amazed that he let me clean up his trash.

several relatives have tried over the years and got nowhere...

I think I finally got it through his hard skull that the only other alternative is going into a home.

and he does NOT want that...
mismi

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 12:23 pm
@Rockhead,
Well...other folks would have probably just done what he wanted...and obviously that is not in his best interest. The fact that you have enough internal fortitude to do what is in his best interest in spite of the fact that he gets so pissed at you says tons about you. Smile (I will refrain from stating the obvious Wink )

He's blessed. And he will see that you have saved him from something he most assuredly did not want.

Very Happy

I still have my little 7mm pal. I don't want to be admitted - so I am going to stick it out...a bit longer anyway. Drugs are good. So thankful for them. But I did stay off of them long enough to be able to go to my substitute teacher orientation this morning. So - at least I will have a job come Aug. 20th. Haven't heard anything on the Teacher's aid position yet though. I really want that one - it has insurance. That would certainly be a blessing.

Going to call the doc to see if they can call in more pain meds for the weekend.

hugs
Rockhead

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 12:28 pm
@mismi,
if you can't reach the doc, call me.

I know a guy in Birmingham... Cool

we gotta go, it's 101 and climbing.

and good luck with the teacher thing. now finn will hate you too, when he finds out.

he's convinced I'm a teacher, imagine that...

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 12:35 pm
teachers are a good thing

even imaginary ones

Very Happy
Rockhead

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 12:22 pm
@ehBeth,
funny thought for the day...

after cleaning up most of smoky's house, I now feel rather like dave.

yes, our dave.

I have enough firepower at my disposal to put down a medium sized rebellion.

with ammo to do it twice...

off to sweat on a solo errand run.

smoky is baby-sitting hisself today...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:43 pm
got smoky squared away, eating a ham sammich, some leftover mac and cheese, and potato chips. with a glass of milk.

I gotta go over to mr vw's.

he's been killing a giant cactus for 2 years. he finally decided to let me cut it up and take it home to save it.

and we are gonna go over to his brother's place and get the big welding bench and some other things that were his that mr vw wants I should have...

and I'm bringing some shrimp and fresh maters. and another water hibiscus for him to murder.

gonna have a grown up dinner, I think...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 07:42 pm
mmmmmm.

spicy thai shrimp and veggies over rice noodles...

zippy.

called smoky and told him he was on leftover pizza and veggies. he won't eat this. and I'm glad. I will be eating it a few more times before it's done...

and when I get home I have a giant box of cool new pc games to check out.

I may not sleep for a week...
ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 08:51 pm
@Rockhead,
rice noodles with thai chicken here tonight
good stuff
we've learned the girl dog can't manage red peppers

gave me a big SCARE last week

<thud>
Rockhead

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 09:49 pm
@ehBeth,
eggo and silky were both looking to swipe some of mine. (they know I'm a cat guy) but I dint think they would appreciate it so much come litter box time...

I'm so glad I have taillights.

I gotta figger out how to get this big welding workbench outta the truck tonight. gotta be in town tomorow, and I don't wanna haul it all over hell's half acre with me. he even made me take the big vise that was on it...

and smoky is in bed, it will be like I live alone again...
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:28 pm
@Rockhead,
About 10 years ago I bought a really neat pattern makers wprkbench at a tag sale. The beech boards are 3'thick and laterally joined , the table comes with thick sand mold cast iron leags and back board. AND, it has a huge pattern makers vise on top. I had the damn thing roped into my truck bed for almost a work week until I got somebody to handle a front end loder so we could take this thing off my truck.
It made for good comments as I passed by and people asked if I hadda office in my truck bed?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 01:02 am
@farmerman,
I'm backed up to the shop.

Ima use the cherry picker and some chains to lift it off and set it on the floor.

I've got some wheeled dollies to move it around inside. gonna hafta clean a spot for it and set all my welding stuff up in coordination with the new work space...

got my watering all done from being gone all day, and made tomorrow's coffee.

got home health coming out for the smokester around noon.

gotta crash...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 01:38 pm
smoky made me laugh today...

I said I had a ton of stuff to do, so I was staying home all day.

he asked what I had to do, like I could just sit and watch NCIS all day with him.

I started naming them off, beginning with getting his bathtub ready for my fiberglass repair patch.

once it holds water, all I lack is the new faucet (with wand) assembly and knocking out a wall from being close to almost there. (thanks to a friend. I have a shower chair)

I didn't get half way through my list, and he stopped me and said nevermind.

and went back to watching NCIS...

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 03:22:48