Random thoughts from the moose cave.

Rockhead

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 04:08 pm
@Ceili,
the heart of this one will miss to the south.

we may catch a weak wing. or not...

gonna wait for it to blow past, then I gotta go to the store for smoky.

got me a list...

and then mebbe over to the farm store, I'm outta medicated chick food.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 06:48 pm
home.

got all the stuff on the list from the home health lady.

expensive...

and got some chicken feed.

and some more gas...

now Ima pop a pizza in the oven for smoky, and then run over to grandpa jack's for some more eggs.

then Ima go donate a box of dog stuff to D and her 2 dogs. and the 8 or 10 dogs she has by relations...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 09:25 pm
jeez-o-pete I'm tard...

got him a last cuppa coffee, and put his pizza leftovers in the fridge.

I made big inroads into cleaning all the clutter outta his trailer.

set up the coffee maker so he can just push a button if he's up before me. he prolly will be, I'm just making something for me to eat, and I gotta water the garden and tend to the chix yet.

I should go cut the last chunk o plywood for my ramp, but I'm too tired to do it right...

and every day for the next ten is triple digits.

joy...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 09:27 pm
and I was able to borrow a walker, so he can safely putter around in the clean spots now...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 02:35 pm
it's me, the houseboy...

anybody have a good simple recipe for zucchini?

gluten free and dairy free, of course...

I have several left, and the old guy is picky. but I would like to try and feed him some anyway with his pork cutlet.

any help would be appreciated...
Ceili

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 02:53 pm
@Rockhead,
I usually grill them with a little olive oil and sea salt. Sometimes I get funky and add some Italian seasoning.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 03:08 pm
@Rockhead,
Zucchini Soup - Dilute some marinara sauce with water then add zucchini and onion slices cooked in garlic-flavored oil. For a hearty version, add sliced cooked potatoes and any other vegetables on hand.

Wilted Zucchini Salad - Heat up a seasoned oil and vinegar dressing and pour over raw zucchini chunks. The heat will be just enough to cook the zucchini.

Zucchini Pancakes - Grate Zucchini, add an egg or two, season to taste. Heat up a frying pan with some oil and drop spoonfuls of the zucchini into the pan and brown on both sides. For more body, add a grated cooked potato. If it needs it, you can eat it, and you have some, you could add a tablespoon of rice flour or corn starch to help bind it together.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 05:03 pm
Neither of these are "easy" but you might want them for future use or for adapting so that they are easy...

Gluten-Free Crisp Zucchini Rounds
SERVES 6

Low-fat mayonnaise, lemon juice and Italian spices make this recipe flavorful and keep it healthy at the same time. Just right for summer and early fall entertaining when there’s a bumper crop of zucchini. Pick medium zucchini (2 inches in diameter) for best flavor. If dairy isn’t an issue, add ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese to the bread crumb mixture.

2 pounds fresh zucchini, washed, trimmed and cut into ¼-inch thick slices
½ cup low-fat mayonnaise, more for dipping
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, more for dipping
1 cup unflavored gluten-free bread crumbs
2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
-Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Grease with a light spray of vegetable oil.

2. In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise and lemon juice. Set aside.

3. In a second bowl, combine bread crumbs and seasoning.

4. Brush both sides of each zucchini slice with a generous coating of mayonnaise mixture. Dip in the bread crumbs to coat both sides. Spread in a single layer on prepared baking sheets.

5. Place in preheated oven and bake 15 minutes or until zucchini slices are soft but not mushy. Cool slightly. Serve with additional mayonnaise and lemon juice for dipping.

TIP For variety, replace half the zucchini with sliced eggplant. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until soft.

--------------------------

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Zucchini Pie
SERVES 8 (MAKES ONE 10-INCH PIE)

What a surprisingly luscious way to enjoy zucchini! No one will ever guess that this delicious dessert is packed with healthy veggies or that it’s allergy friendly. No gluten, dairy or eggs…just mouthwatering flavor. Try our allergy-friendly crust for a crumb-style top or use your favorite piecrust recipe or a purchased gluten-free crust. Serve with your favorite dairy-free topping or ice cream. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Reheat pie in the oven on low or put slices in the microwave for 10 to 12 seconds.

Filling
8 cups zucchini, peeled, sliced lengthwise, large seeds removed (4-6 medium zucchini,
approximately 2½ lbs)
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar or sugar substitute
1 tablespoon maple syrup or 1 teaspoon vanilla, optional
1 tablespoon lemon zest
½ cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons arrowroot, more as needed to thicken
1 tablespoon sugar + 1 teaspoon cinnamon, mixed, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Cut zucchini slices into ¼ inch-thick half circles.

3. Combine zucchini and all other ingredients loosely in a bowl.

4. Pour mixture into a large frying pan and simmer on stove until zucchini is tender. The sugar will begin to caramelize and thicken. Stir a little while it caramelizes so it doesn’t burn. If mixture doesn’t thicken, pour off some liquid. Add a little more arrowroot to this liquid, stirring well, and return slurry to the pan. Simmer for 1 to 2 more minutes.

5. Pour mixture into Pie Crust (recipe below) or use your gluten-free, dairy-free favorite crust.

6. Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar, if desired.

7. Place pie in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour. Cover with a tent of aluminum foil after 35 to 40 minutes to keep crust from browning too much.

Pie Crust
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca starch/flour
1 cup cornstarch or potato starch (not potato flour)
½ cup sorghum flour or almond flour
1 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
Pinch of nutmeg, optional
12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) butter or dairy-free substitute of choice
1¼ cups sugar
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut milk, milk of choice or water

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flours and starch, guar gum, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.

2. In a smaller bowl, combine butter and sugar, mixing well.

3. Combine flour mixture with butter and sugar mixture, using a food processor or mixing with your hands. Add milk a little at a time, thoroughly mixing into dough.

4. Knead lightly until dough hangs together. If too dry, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until dough mixes well.

5. Divide dough in half and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.

6. Place shelf rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil one 10-inch pie pan.

7. Roll half of dough between wax paper or parchment paper into a circle that is ¼-inch thick and wider than the pan. Turn the paper upside down over the pie pan and carefully release dough into pan. Press lightly to conform to the pan and trim off any excess dough.

8. Pour zucchini mixture into the pie pan.

9. Using remaining half of dough, pinch off small pieces and drop them evenly over zucchini filling, covering all the zucchini. If desired, sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar.

10. Place pie in 350-degree preheated oven and bake for 1 hour. Cover with a tent of aluminum foil after 35 to 40 minutes to keep crust from browning too much.

11. Remove pie from oven. Remove foil and let cool before slicing.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 07:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
he's eating leftovers...

I spent the afternoon cleaning his kitchen and snasty refrigimator.

I am NOT cooking tonight.

pizza and mac n cheese for him.

dunno if I will eat. if I do, it will be late,

gonna go try and get my deck finished as soon as I have him settled...
mismi

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:10 am
@Rockhead,
You rock Rock.

Don't know how you manage. It's pretty impressive actually.

Hugs
mis
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 08:04 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

dunno if I will eat. if I do, it will be late,

Confused

gotta take care of yourself if you're gonna take care of anyone else

eh
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 11:04 am
@mismi,
I don't feel very impressive.

mostly tired, behind schedule, and overwhelmed...

but I will be a qualified pharmacy assistant before I'm done. so many pills...

must go make brunch now...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 11:46 am
I had to come back out here to eat...

got him parked in front of his race, and three times he started punching buttons on the remotes and couldn't figure out what he did.

I brought the remotes with me.

I need a serious dose of patience, or this may be a verra loooooong day...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 11:56 am
hmmmmm.

I ran out of earl grey today.

I had bought a case of it last year. had a cuppa most every day since I can't remember.

I suppose in a way it is appropriate...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 11:59 am
I go through that with some of our very elderly or sick people. Especially the A/C thermostat. They fiddle with it until it won't do the job anymore and then they call for me. It has been known to happen with a same person five or six times a day. Nothing can be done with their cognitive abilities. It takes the patience of Job.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 12:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
I feel badly when I get testy with him, but I am NOT a morning person, and I gotta be in there helping him before I can put my nice face on.

so far, he understands...

I always apologize, but it would be better if I could just let it flow on past me.

the serenity prayer and all that...

I gotta go put some water on stuff before it burns up.

running way behind today.

slept too long. right through the alarm...
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 03:28 pm
@Rockhead,
From one caregiver to another...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/380617_4381072569063_1639515083_n.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
Some more zucchini recipes for future use. I have a pickling and canning book with lots of zucchini recipes. If that is of interest to you, let me know and I'll post some.

Zucchini Casserole

Ingredients:

2 medium zucchini, unpeeled, sliced in 1/4-inch slices
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
salt and pepper, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
basil and oregano, about 1/4 teaspoon each

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 2-quart casserole. Arrange zucchini slices in casserole. Top with onion slices, green and red pepper slices, tomato slices, then sprinkle with herbs. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Serves 6.

-------------------------

Zucchini Pickles Recipe

If you like traditional dill pickles, try making some with zucchini instead of cucumbers. Plan ahead for standing time.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

1-1/4 cups water
1-1/4 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons mustard seed
12 black peppercorns
4 slender zucchini unpeeled and thinly sliced
1 medium onion sliced and separated into rings
2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper cut into 1/2-inch squares
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill leaves

Preparation:

In a wide saucepan combine the water, vinegar, salt, mustard seed, and peppercorns. Bring to a gentle bubble and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile combine the zucchini, onion, garlic, and red bell pepper in a large bowl and toss to combine. Pour the hot liquid over the vegetables. Scatter on the dill leaves and stir to mix. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil and allow to stand at room temperature for 4 hours. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled and drain off the liquid to serve.

Yield: 12 servings
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'm simple.

I thin slice Zuccini, after washing and drying.

I squeeze lemon over the slices and salt and pepper. I roast that for a bit.

Snacks. Take that out of the oven when it gets burny.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 07:05 pm
quick and easy summertime zucchini recipe.

slice thick and quarter zucchini. 2 tablespoons of bacon grease, one yellow onion chopped coarse.

stir fry squash and onions over high heat.

salt and pepper while cooking, add 2 fresh homegrown kansas tomatoes right at the end so they don't go completely to mush.

smoky had seconds...

and I borrowed some flour to make him a chicken fry.

gonna go make me a cutlet in a bit.

hadda come adjust my attitude...

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 07:15:55