Random thoughts from the moose cave.

Rockhead

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 09:09 pm
here we go...

no helper. got the truck backed up to where the first sheet will lay. it will need minimal cuts.

the next two have to have a foot taken off all the way down the 8 foot side.

missing my table saw am I...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 12:57 am
gonna be a short night...

Ima wait till dawn to make my long cuts. I'm not steady enough right now, and seeing my line by torchlight is dicey at best.

I'll get it laid down in the morning, then clean up and go get the old guy in the early afternoon.

I stopped and got him what he asked for as a first meal home. grilled chicken and macaroni and cheese...
mismi

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 06:30 am
@Rockhead,
You're a good guy Rock.

Rockhead

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 10:18 am
@mismi,
would that that were the case...

it's hot. and I'm running behind. again. still...

measuring and thinking about the best way to cut this sheet into the ramp. which is less than square.

I'll get there, but I'll be a sweaty lump of need to eat and get cool when I'm done...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 11:44 am
the nursing home had one final gift for me today. they called 30 minutes ago and said that smoky had a doctors appointment at 1.

I said no he doesn't.

because calling and telling me to stop and run to town immediately is not in the game plan.

I said cancel it, and if there is a fee, you get to pay it.

or take him and wait like I do...

that's just bullshit.

on going home day while I am busting my ass in the sun to finish the ramp.

and the lumber yard f*cked me.

one of the sheets of plywood is completely unusable. in about 4 different ways...

gonna cool off. then try and water the garden.

then go swap plywood and go get smoky.

then...
ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 04:46 pm
@Rockhead,
I hope you all got home safely.
mismi

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 05:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Me too. It's always something isn't it?

Sad
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:03 pm
we're home...

he had a secret switch on his air conditioner, so his place is just now starting to try and cool down.

from 100 degrees...

and I am marinating some chicken to grill.

it's gonna be a verra long coupla days, I can tell.

gonna have to go make some wider paths through his clutter, and start throwing **** away. he's not gonna like it, but that is just the way it is...

I need an attitude adjustment in the most desperate of ways.

maybe even a pain pill...

he's parked in front of the satellite dish thingy for now.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 07:50 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
it's gonna be a verra long coupla days, I can tell.

Yup. Some will seem like they will never end.

The sooner you can get him to practice doing things for himself (within reason), the better it will be for the both of you.

As for the attitude adjustment you say you need, I found this on Facebook a couple months ago and reading it helps me to adjust my attitude on those very long days...

Quote:
Letter from a Mother to a Daughter:
"My dear girl, the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through. If when we talk, I repeat the same thing a thousand times, don’t interrupt to say: “You said the same thing a minute ago”... Just listen, please. Try to remember the times when you were little and I would read the same story night after night until you would fall asleep. When I don’t want to take a bath, don’t be mad and don’t embarrass me. Remember when I had to run after you making excuses and trying to get you to take a shower when you were just a girl? When you see how ignorant I am when it comes to new technology, give me the time to learn and don’t look at me that way... remember, honey, I patiently taught you how to do many things like eating appropriately, getting dressed, combing your hair and dealing with life’s issues every day... the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through. If I occasionaly lose track of what we’re talking about, give me the time to remember, and if I can’t, don’t be nervous, impatient or arrogant. Just know in your heart that the most important thing for me is to be with you. And when my old, tired legs don’t let me move as quickly as before, give me your hand the same way that I offered mine to you when you first walked. When those days come, don’t feel sad... just be with me, and understand me while I get to the end of my life with love. I’ll cherish and thank you for the gift of time and joy we shared. With a big smile and the huge love I’ve always had for you, I just want to say, I love you... my darling daughter. "
Rockhead

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
I've found it easier to just burn a fat one, but thanks...

his dinner is almost ready. then we will start cleaning up.

my appetite might get there before the chicken gets done.

he wanted mac and cheese. I canno eat that. got a salad for me....
mismi

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:19 pm
@Rockhead,
Do what you can. Hoping things get easier soon. Hugs you.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:23 pm
@mismi,
you better send me an extry dose of patience.

maybe a sixpack...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 08:42 pm
hadda wake him up sos he could eat...

he promised to never ever complain about my cooking again. three months of hospital food is enough to permanently damage a guys taste buds...

mine will be off the grill in a bit. not sure when Ima eat.

gonna have to work to get him ready for bed.

I bought him a toilet support at wally's. for $40 I can't waste my time or materials. I charge more than that for an hour in the shop.

and a urinal, and some more disposable undies and a pile of new meds.

and I'm sure we forgot some more stuff we'll need. I'm not sure if or when the home health folks are s'posed to call or come by.

I feel abandoned by the whole system right now.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 10:14 pm
ok...

got his toilet arms built and installed. gonna hafta clean his bathroom before the home health folks come...

yucky.

got him a drink of water and into bed with the tv going in there.

I feel like I been hit by a truck.

gonna try and water a little in the garden, then I gotta fall down.

I told him I'd come make him breakfast at 9. gotta remember to thaw some bacon. I bought him some bread and milk, and he's got coffee. I gotta remember how to make coffee...

karma best be nice to me for a bit.

what I wouldn't give for a nice long hot soaky bath...

oh well.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 10:56 am
patience...

home health has come and gone. she wanted to look inside, as someone somewhere had voiced concerns as to him being able to stay here.

I told her to look again when she comes on Tuesday. lots of clutter yet to be moved and tossed. I cleared a wheelchair wide path last night so he could get to the kitchen and his bedroom. (his bathrrom is off his room)

and now I'm making him brunch. scrambled eggs on toast. he refuses to ever eat oatmeal again after his rehab adventures...

and then I needa go and get a buncha stuff from the store, per the home health list.

maybe after dark I can finish the ramp with the new plywood I got yesterday.

I need a catchup day that isn't gonna happen any time soon...
ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 10:58 am
@Rockhead,
Perhaps home health can clarify what plans they have - and that they will fund - that are an alternative to Smoky being at home?

Rockhead

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 11:00 am
@ehBeth,
I didn't leave much room for argument there...

he's here.

he'll die here...

he doesn't want to be anywhere else, and he's a handful when he gets riled up.

115 pounds of cane shaking fury...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 03:18 pm
I'm thinking smoky may be distantly related to our boy dave. OSD...

I been cleaning in his trailer all afternoon, while it's too hot to do much else. besides move a sprinkler around, of course...

firkin guns and ammo everywhere...

big guns, small guns. and big boxes of shells.

he even gave me one.

the double barrel breech loader I like so much. (it needs the barrel shortened)

but there is a 6 foot wide path to all critical areas now. and the dumpster is full.

Ima box up more trash for next week, just because I'm on a roll and he's going with it. there's been no complaining so far about what I'm tossing out...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 03:36 pm
hmmmm.

there's an little bitty storm heading for us.

just enough to make me go clean up all my stuff on the construction site so my tools don't get wet...

it's about 15 miles out, and may break up before it gets here. but my skilsaw and cordless drill don't wish to take that chance...
Ceili

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 03:54 pm
@Rockhead,
We had a bit of a storm the other night. My side of town got a nice sprinkle. The south side got a flash flood. Cars swamped on some major road, parking lots and a ton o basements flooded. Apparently, I missed the lightening show of the century, but a couple of big boomers woke me up, in the basement - too hot to sleep upstairs. It actually sounded like the house got hit. A few went up in flames, luckily we were spared.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 09:25:01