Random thoughts from the moose cave.

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 11:15 pm
@farmerman,
111 during the day today, down to around 90 tonight.
Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 11:36 pm
@Ticomaya,
SELL!
Rockhead

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 11:51 pm
I finished my dinner. bbq pork on fake bread, tots and a salad.

trying to eat a salad every day now. we'll see...

I discovered the absolutely most awesome tasting melon today. actually yesterday, but I was unsure what it was until today.

canary melon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canary_melon

ommmmmmmmmmmmm. good.

but expensive.

I saved the seeds, I may try to grow some next year...

I'm getting ready to go dig post holes and set posts by moonlight. (with solar spot light assist)

it's almost nice out now.

almost...
McTag

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 02:28 am

Anyone interested in the weather in England?

Hellish, unprecedented rainstorms and hail.
We are usually not bothered by "continental-type" weather, nothing too extreme here is the norm, but yesterday we were.

Railway lines washed away, widespread flooding, people drowned, power out for many, damaging hailstones. Midsummer.

We live in interesting times.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 04:13 am
@McTag,
sounds like Kansas weather.

don't go out while it's hailing without a helmet...

building a deck in the dark has it's built in drawbacks. reading a level by tiki torch light can be difficult...

got four 12 foot posts set and plumbed, and ready for water to set the cement mix. everything is braced in case the wind decides to play with me while I am sleeping. from there, once they are set, the rest gets easier, I can square off of the existing posts and run a string line for the rest of them.

aside from the cordless drill and plated screws, I feel very pioneery...

gotta get a move on, the sky is turning purple and pink. need to hurry up and water the garden and crash before it starts back into the sweltery ****...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 06:44 am
@Rockhead,
Canary melons are lovely when you can get them. It would be awesome if you could grow them.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 07:41 am
@ehBeth,
I hope so.

had to work on the cabin a little before I crashed. I covered over my west facing windows with insulation.

and added another fan to the mix.

we'll see how long I can sleep before it gets too hot today...

Zzzzz.
mismi

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:20 am
@Rockhead,
Good Gravy. You haven't gone to bed yet?

So crazy. Rest well...it is miserably hot. Even here...105 degrees today - thank goodness the humidity is just at 50%.

This is a good stay inside and do nothing day. Too hot to accomplish what I want outside. I suppose I will be cleaning out my closet. Worry about refinishing the other pieces tonight.

Hugs all
mis
Rockhead

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 08:21 pm
@mismi,
the cats are very confused by vampire mode.

but it is very much cooler at night. and tolerable inside for sleep during the heat. with only one A/C running...

I gotta go to the store. (no canned cat food) but I am legal at night now. taillights work nicely. I inspected my work while it was light.

looks good so far.
Eva

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 10:04 pm
@Rockhead,
You would think that the cats would be much happier this way, being naturally nocturnal. But they ARE creatures of habit...
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 11:11 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
SELL!

9 months of the year it's P A R A D I S E !! http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2005/smileyfaces84.gif
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 11:20 pm
@Eva,
so am I.

and this is gonna take some adjustment. and tinkering. I still will have days that I have to be up with the rest of you. to go take care of smoky and gram.

but I think Ima try and do it in the mornings. before I sleep.

I think.

and I am changing the porch plan.

more porch...

and more roof in the future.

Ima give him a place to sit and read his book in the evenings, if he wishes to...

I feel kinda like Ty Pennington...

without all the over the top high energy and weirdness, of course.

I'm casually laid back weird mostly...

but I have rediscovered overdrive.

but it only works at less than 85 degrees...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 11:28 am
home.

I forgot today is smoky's birthday. 82...

so I took him a pack of his favorite smokes, and we went for a walk.

then I went and got the rest of what I need from the yumber lard. I'm using more concrete than I budgeted for...

and I went to whole foods for some more noodles.

now I am way ready for to crash...

being a vampire is hard work.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 11:46 am
http://teenfreedom.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/photo_lg_mali1.jpg

just because it looks dry
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 11:56 am
@Rockhead,
How is Smoky's hip doing? Did he end up with one leg longer than the other like BBB did? If so, and if no one has already done this, he may find that putting an orthotic lift in his other shoe to even out the leg length will greatly relieve any pain he still has and will make walking much much easier.

http://footcarexpress.com/foot-orthotics/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/heel-lift.jpg
McTag

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 03:27 pm
@ehBeth,

Timbuktu? Mali?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 02:53 am
@Butrflynet,
he seems ok. not getting strong as fast as we'd like, but doing better.

I don't know if they have measured his legs or not. he still has a lot of trouble just getting out of a bed yet...

I got the last of the posts set for now. (two more later when I finish the porch portion of the project)

I'm kinda at a stopping point until it gets light. I can't run a saw in the middle of the night without waking my nearest neighbors. and I don't see very well to be making precision cuts in the dark anyways...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 05:30 am
I'm having breakfast for dinner (BFD).

It's kinda weird, because I cannot remember the last time I ate breakfast at 6:30 am...
farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 05:42 am
@Rockhead,
so, how the chickens doing? any predator problems?
I lost a guinea rooster to a raccoon.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2012 05:50 am
@farmerman,
not since the giant snake.

still holding at 24. kept within the hen house for now.

should I leave a light on at night for them, or is that more likely to attract trouble?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 07:28:29