Random thoughts from the moose cave.

Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 11:13 pm
@mismi,
we SOOOO needed it.

and I got all my seeds in the ground last week. if they don't wash out, my marigolds and morning glories should take off...

I think the moles got one of my super colossal elephant ears, but the other one is up and will think we are in the congo...
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 11:16 pm
I wonder if my goats are in the dog houses...

they love to play on top of them, but I've yet to see them go inside.

maybe when it lets up I'll go see.

I still hafta go put my laundry in the dryer in smoky's trailer before I crash...
mismi

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 07:01 am
@Rockhead,
So? How are the goats this morning?

When do you get all your chicks?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 12:27 pm
@mismi,
dunno 'bout the goats, I'm still inside.

starting verra slowly today. but I have quite an agenda.

I will have to get the chicks sometime today...
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 12:29 pm
@Rockhead,
Last night I was reading up on transitioning baby chicks to the outdoors.

Seems the consensus is to treat them like plant seedlings...and "harden" them off to the outdoors by lowering their incubation chamber temperature a few degrees each day and then increasing their time outdoors each day by a couple hours.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 12:32 pm
@Butrflynet,
they are gonna hafta stay in the chicken house until they are smart enough and big enough not to become hawk food. prolly at least a coupla weeks.

and I gotta run a big cord out there so I can give them a heat lamp...
Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 02:01 pm
one good thing aboot living on an old abandoned chicken farm is that I can usually walk out back and find something, if I know what I am looking for.

found a 4 x 6 cage for doing just what I'm doing...

and they won't have to have free run in the big old chicken house yet...

measured my pen for new fence. I need 150 feet.

it's a good sized yard. 40 by 50....

got my cords run and all the goat poop cleaned out. (how hot is goat poop, I wanna fertilize with it?)

gonna buy 2 bales of straw to spread over the concrete floor.

I think I am ready to head for town...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 02:04 pm
I'd compost the poop first. You want to make sure all the seeds n stuff are cooked before you put it on the plants, otherwise you may get some unwanted weedlings.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 02:15 pm
@Rockhead,
Sorry, just got yer note. I still like the big water tub trick and keep em all in a bunch. I use cob or wood chips pn the floor and that way you can keep em cleaned out about 1 a week.(Little buggers are really sloppy ). Water is the thing youll be changing most often. I would change em 3 ,4 times a DAY, they would **** in their water like they have no sense at all.

MEDICATED FOOD , many say to keep that up until they lay their first egg but I quit when they are in their teens (weeks).

I guess the light is still a good idea if you still have cold nights (I just assumed it was really hot out there).

Dont fry the little fuckers , too much heat can be just as bad.
Dont use those red infrared lights (unless your trying to cook em up right off), an incandescent reflector is what we always use.
Of course, we kept our little guys in the living room or family room for many weeks, the water tub keeps the room clean (Exception being if you have a cat who likes to check up on the chicks from the top. This drives em into a frenzy and that results in chickn dust all over the place. We found some old porch screening and old fencing that we used as covers.

Now my chickens from last year are "getting clucky" so I have 4 hens that just disappeared from society and are sitting on egg clutches. We just had about 21 chicks from 2 separate clutches. These guys are about 10 days old also. Were letting the mommas take care of em and the chicks run under the mommas wings as soon as they cant figure anything out (Which is usually all the time)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 03:33 pm
Your chickens will likely focus on you as the parent chicken. The last two I raised from chicks were slavishly devoted to me, even after they were grown.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 03:35 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
...and I gotta run a big cord out there so I can give them a heat lamp...

A heat lamp...outdoors in Kansas...in the middle of June.

That really made me laugh, Rocky!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 05:42 pm
@Eva,
we have one night yet forecast at 68.

I have a 40 watt bulb in a reflector aimed between the two cages.

and food and water in each one.

and straw under and in the cages. I'd like to do shavings, but the budget is razor thin at the moment...

getting ready to transfer them as soon as the feeders dry. I hadda wash them.

and chickenshit has a horrible smell all it's own...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 06:22 pm
It's official.

we are a chicken farm again...

just as I was getting them all settled in, the goats came to see what all the fuss was.

and to let me know they were ready for dinner...

I patched what mighta been their escape route, we'll see.

just ate a cherry tomato from my giant bush.

mmmmmmmmm...

Ima get my share before the grasshoppers get large.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 08:03 pm
they sure are cute little guys. stretching their wings and flapping about in the new bigger digs.

they had outgrown the 50 gallon aquarium for sure. in a week, they will prolly need to just be in the chicken house sans cages. I will have the walls solidified by then, I hope.

they are all huddled under the light bulb, so I'm glad I ran the power. this way I can check on them at night easier, too...
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 08:38 pm
@Rockhead,
Did you ever get your camera working yet? You've got to document all these new additions to your life with photos.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 08:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
my camera works, my download cable has disappeared into the ether...
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 09:58 pm
@Rockhead,
I've got a bunch of them around here from various generations of electronics. Any specifics as to what type/shape plugs you need? I can probably send you one.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 03:10 pm
dammit...

there is a snake in the chicken cage, and at least one dead bird.

I think it is that pygmy rattler I've been seeing, so I am being very careful. I think he ate a bird and is now too fat to exit the cage.

farmerman, any help would be appreciated.

can I shoot it without deafening the chicks?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 03:50 pm
we will find out if they are deaf soon enough...

my ears are definitely ringing.

great plains rat snake.

http://www.gpnc.org/gpratsnake.htm

"Length in Kansas up to 52 3/4 inches"...

ummmmm, mine may be a record, cuz I got it at just short of five feet. with a tape. and they are not shown in my county on the map, but, whatever.

and with two chickens in his belly and a third dead waiting for him to get hungry again. one of them was a mystery chicken...

now we'll never know.

and if he's a record, we will have to measure the head separately now...

he was still wiggling and hissing, so he got the shovel.

snakes kinda give me the willies...
McTag

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 03:57 pm
@Rockhead,

Got a big screwnail in my tyre today, had to change the wheel.

Damn, hope that tyre is repairable. The wheel did not seem to be too flat. If you run on flat, the repair shop says the tyre is no good and they won't repair it.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 10/05/2024 at 11:44:42