Random thoughts from the moose cave.

Rockhead

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 11:13 pm
wow.

dint figure midnight...

making some dinner.

got a popped blister on my right hand. not good. I need to find some farm gloves. my wrenching gloves are too soft and lightweight for farm use...

I'm pretty cut up from playing in the barb wire. got a jug o' alcohol the other day. just for this kinda use. and for scrubbing my face after I get all manky...

last pole is cemented in. tomorrow I can stretch chickenwire.

and I think Ima make the gates outta iron scrap. lighter and stronger than wood...
mismi

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 07:53 am
@Rockhead,
Scrap iron is lighter than wood? I am surprised. Smile But I know nothing about all that stuff.

checking in. Take care of the hands...the alcohol on a busted blister sounds horrid. So does washing your face in it. yikes.

Take care of you.
mis
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 07:55 am
@Rockhead,
did the goats come home?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 10:56 am
@ehBeth,
the goats were still in the pasture, just back in the trees where they were outta sight.

they showed up when I started calling and shaking the feed bucket. they are very into the feed bucket...

Missy, I didn't intend to get alcohol on the blister, I cleaned it with peroxide and put neo on it. but then when I was washing my bites and scratches, it happened...

OUCH.

anyways, I needa get dressed and go water. it's gonna get a little hotter and dryer every day until we top out in triple digits.

yucko...
mismi

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 11:35 am
@Rockhead,
I thought I saw some nasty weather coming your way this morning. I hope I was wrong. That happens. A lot.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 11:52 am
@mismi,
nope.

nothing but hot...

having some noodles. I'm not as good as yesterday, but I think I an still get lots done...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 01:42 pm
my garden is coming of age.

the bee balm is blooming, and so are some of the sunflowers...

got baby peaches hanging, and my birdhouse gourds are up and ready to climb the fences. baby morning glories everywhere as well.

got a sprinkler kinda working so my grass stays green with the flowers...

it's hot.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 03:11 pm
just spoke to mr vw. my chicks are being evicted. itsa good thing I been working on their residence...

and he's going to watch his little grandson play baseball. (if it doesn't rain)he's 4...

I said, "tee-ball"?

he said no tee...

I guess they just run around the bases and fall down a lot. anybody familiar with pre-tee-ball...?

got thunder boomers building. might see some needed rain tonight.

mebbe...
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 03:14 pm
hey farmerman...

any tips on starting 10 day old chicks in an outdoorsy environment?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 04:08 pm
@Rockhead,
Maybe they have coach pitch. I know the boys started on coach pitch. After 3 pitches without a hit they put up the tee. Maybe that is what he is talking about.

cuz otherwise - they could be there all day long. And they don't get three outs at that age....they just bat through the lineup.

That could be a mighty long game.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 09:55 pm
@mismi,
you are like scary almost psychic...

big storm wall bearing down on us. battening hatches and making sure all of my tools and stuff that needs to be dry is in the shop and covered up.

got my new big ass air compressor today. threw a tarp over it until I can clean up enough to get it into the compressor room where the roof is still good...

got dinner about to come outta the oven.

here's my storm...

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=37.88722229&lon=-97.51528168&zoom=8&pin=Bentley%2c%20KS&type=hyb&rad=1&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 10:25 pm
there goes the gust front...

Ima go stand outside and watch it start to rain.

(we need it really bad)
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 10:39 pm
yup. it's really rain.

I was getting soaked. this is good. I hope it rains all night. I got extry buckets in case...

now I'm really glad I busted butt today and got the chicken yard all cleaned out, raked, and mowed. the grass will grow nicely now before the chix are big enough to get out and enjoy it...

I decided I have to buy new wire fence. the old stuff is just too beat up and crappy. and with my new poles and work cleaning out volunteer elms, it deserves fresh silver fencing...

and it will be loads less work making it seal them all in.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 10:43 pm
@Rockhead,
Do you get fire flies out there in Kansas?

I've never seen them in any of the places I've lived.

I bet the air there smells wonderful at the moment with the rain coming down.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 10:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
the fireflies are abundant this year. mr vw's dog chases them and tries to eat them...

and the dragonflies have hatched. there must have been 20 or more today. brilliant blue ones.

still coming down in sheets...
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 11:01 pm
@Rockhead,
About all we have in abundance here this year are the white cabbage moths and what looks like either locusts or an odd variety of grasshopper. They've taken over the backyard and have made lace out of many broad-leafed plants back there.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 11:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
the grasshoppers have hatched and are little tiny bastards.

but they will be fierce...

our mild winter has all the critters in full force this year.

sowbugs keep sabotaging my gourds...
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 11:05 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
big storm wall bearing down on us. battening hatches and making sure all of my tools and stuff that needs to be dry is in the shop and covered up.

Glad for the rain...hope the storm is not too bad. No damage. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Lost both our games tonight. I hate getting stuck in the losers bracket.

POOP!
Rockhead

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 11:09 pm
@mismi,
just big noise and lotsa rain.

they said a half inch, but I have more than that already, and we are still in the heavy rain band.

I won't hafta water tomorrow, I can just get up and go...

sorry about the poop bracket.
mismi

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2012 11:10 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah me too.

But I am very happy to hear that it is just a nice rain. That is excellent.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 10/05/2024 at 02:05:16