Random thoughts from the moose cave.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 12:39 am
@Rockhead,
Well, now that we have our own goatherd on A2k, I feel the site has somehow reached a level of completion it lacked before. Way to go, Rocky. Now you can sell the lawn mower.

Er...do you have a lawn mower?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 01:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I have several. I'm mowing to acquire equipment. about 4 acres a week...

had me a cuppa.

I keep peeking out the window, but the babies are in the building still.

it's coolish and rainy, so they are in where it's dry...

got my pants on and gonna go see what the day brings.

smoky called earlier, I'll hafta call him back and see what he wanted...
ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 01:57 pm
@Rockhead,
Rocky the Goatherd!

fierce awesomeness indeed
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 02:03 pm
You just have to name one of the goats "Bullwinkle" so we can refer to Rocky and Bullwinkle when talking about you and your kid. If the other is a female, maybe name her Natasha.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 03:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
they are all female.

two sisters and a half sister. all the same daddy...

I went to the farm store. (the manager is an adorable little blond with a horserider's butt) and she helped me find the right sweet feed.

I already have buckets and such. I'm over to mr vw's inspecting his pile o' tree...

and having some noodles.

gotta go home and mow...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 04:07 pm
ok.

I'm home. and there is still 3 hours of daylight...

got goat food.

and my camera...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 04:16 pm
@Rockhead,
Rocky's bitches.

Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 04:19 pm
@farmerman,
their favorite thing so far is to stand on their hind legs and munch on tree leaves.

pretty damn cute...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 05:31 pm
made me a real gate. not the permanent one for the chicken coop, but one to keep the goats in and let me come and go securely...

and set them a pan of feed.

they waited until I left to leave the safety of the hen house and explore the food pan.

hoping to get some pictures before dark.

they are very skittish and fearful yet...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 05:40 pm
@farmerman,
the farm they came from was very clean and healthy.

I saw lotsa specialized food products while I was at the farm store.

Is there anything special they need in their diet?
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 06:35 pm
@Rockhead,
just watch their copper intake. Sheep can get copper anemia by feeding them Omaline or some other cattle feed. SO stick with a ration thats specific for the animal and dont mkix em up EVEN IF THEY ARE GIVING IT AWAY.

Id send a PM to cowdoc and ask whether copper affects goats like it does sheep(I dont wanna "steer" you wrong).

Also, dont change their feed ration quickly (Like going directly from pasture to sweet feeds all at once , theyll get sick )
Have they gotten enterotoxemia antitoxin shots? They get sick
(We keep shots of emergency antitoxin in the fridege , in case we see a sheep or a cow getting diarrhea or getting off theior feed)
We keep an eye on ours about 2 or 3 times a day when we do "sheep patrol". Ill take dogs ut to the fields and watch the animals and see that, if theyre lying down they get up or are alert if you clap or whistle. I also look to see that , when they are sitting still, that they are chewing their cuds and dont look like theyre staring dullly. ACtivity and clear eyes are a good indicator, as is occasional bleating. Otherwise they are , or are getting sick.
Also, about every two weeks or more (depending on how quickly you learn about their health at a glance) -Check the tissue beneath their eyelids (not the eye itself, but the skin on the other side of the eyelid) You should learn to do this as soon as you can . The under- eyelid skin color should be a nice pink or even rose color, that indicates that the animal isnt anemic (Worms and some foods and some illnesses start out with anemia as a primary symptom). That means they are sick

Im sure youre gonna have fun with em

OH yeh, dont let em graze too heavily on mustards or brassicas, this can cause a severe bloat (which, again, is asickness) that , once when we had it occur to us because about 10 sheep got out and headed for my garden where they ate up ALL the kale plants I had going. We lost 2 sheep and had to trochant ( IN THIS TRICK< YOU HAVE TO SHOVE A large HOLLOW NEEDLE INTO THEIR GUT PERIPHERY TO RELIEVE THE GAS PRESSURE WHICH COULD KILL EM). We also gave em pure dishwasher detergent shot right down their throats. We saved 8 out of the 10 but the ones that recovered looked like they had rabies for several days (foaming at the mouth from the suds coming up)

DONT worry, youll do fine. We hadda learn all this stuff because there were no sheep people around us (We bought our first big time ewes and a ram from Mo and Ohio. We did later learn to hunt down someone who raised sheep within 50 miles and we became students . WE also have one of the US biggest vet schools for large animals down in Chester County so we called their help lines a lot at first (now their vet students call us) Id suggest you stick with teh guy from whom you bought these girls . SOunds like hes got experience and can give you many more tips than I can (Im a sheep herder so Im sure there are some differences )

PS get a pair of good shears to keep their hoofies trimmed so they dont get foot rot with all the rain youve had. Try to keep their feets dry.
Make sure you take a look at their poop everyso often to see theyre not loose or wormy. I would like you to get in the habit of moving them about the pasture areas so they dont poop and eat the grass and spread worms among em.

Are they polled

DONT WORRY< YOULL DO FINE. Ya just have to keep your eyes on em (dont be obsessive just be attentive) Sorta like a good waiter. If you shadow them, they get wise and dont poop or wont chew their cud cause theyre always on the look out
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 06:56 pm
@farmerman,
I had a quick look and I see that copper is tolerated a bit more in goats and is a microb=nutrient BUT, the levels of toxicity can be from "free choice feeds" where the Cu levels are at or higher than 15 ppm. (For sheep, we try to keep it below 6ppm which is mostky copper free)
OMALINE , the horse feed has a Cu level much higher cause they use mined caopper carbonate salt mixed in. Same thing with cattle.
Molybdenum is a mollifier of any bad effects (and helps with the good) SO become label conscious of your ration mixes. Read the mixes and the pwercentages of minerals

Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 08:33 pm
@farmerman,
what I have now is 12% for mules and calves.

they were outta the 10 % that is recommended for goats. said this was just a little more protein rich.

what the guy I got them from was feeding looked like it had a lot more corn or grain in it...
Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 08:38 pm
@farmerman,
"Are they polled?"

what is this?

they stay dry in the chicken house right now. and they won't come near me yet.

but they don't run away so much as group together and watch me...

it's raining hard right now. I finished mowing in a downpour. brrrrrrrrrrrr...

making pulled pork sammiches and wearing heavy sweats.

need to go do smoky's laundry when it lets up a little...
ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 08:45 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

"Are they polled?"

I think the fman's asking if they've got horns.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 08:45 pm
@ehBeth,
yes.

like little baby satans.

but cuter...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 09:20 pm
@Rockhead,
NOT 12%. It shouldnt be more than 12 PPM (pasrts per million) which is 1000 times less per percent per gram.

Are you sure it was 12%?

Id mix that stuff with cracked corn and rolled oats.

"Polled" means that their horns are DE_horned. Usually there will be little flat nubs where their horns were and they will be smoother rather than pointy horns.
If these are all does, maybe you can keep em from butting you and poking you open. Dont pet them on the head, or they learn to butt just from that practice. (It makes em shake their heads up and down and soon it becomes a practice). If you wanna pet em always do it along the sides of their faces or on their sides.
Goats are great for pulling carts in the garden, if you get a favcorite one who is more petlike, try that one with a wagon. We did this with a couple sheep for school displays , and goats are waaay smarter
Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 09:26 pm
@farmerman,
there is no ingredient label on it, but it says 12 percent sweet feed for horses, mules and calves.

I will try and find out more when I go back.

there is also a Coop over in Colwich or Halstead. I can stop in and ask them...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 09:29 pm
@farmerman,
these still have their horns. I'll prolly just be careful of them unless it becomes a problem...

Ima try and get back with the guy I got them from, but he is not a real farmer. he has a day job.

and all of his animals seemed to get the same feed. the geese and cows were on it with the goats when he was using it to catch the babies for me...

do you have Atwoods up there?
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 10:02 pm
@Rockhead,
Is Atwoods a farm supply store? We have Agway, SOuthern States, and Tractor Supply (besides the normal John Deere NH Ford, etc)
We get most of our stuff from Sheepmans SUpply or Jeffers vet supplies. These are good supply houses form out your way

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.06 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 04:00:57