Random thoughts from the moose cave.

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 12:59 am
@Rockhead,
Weather Channel says there is currently aTornado on the ground near Topeka.

They also say there have been over 100 reports of tornadoes on the plains today.

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 01:00 am
@Butrflynet,
I'm gonna stay up til I hear you're okay, so give reports when you can.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 01:04 am
@Butrflynet,
it's been one of those days...

I went over and checked on two of my neighbors that don't have fraidy holes. told them mine was open, and a path is mowed...

not much lightning yet, so I will stay online until it starts lighting up.

BIG WINDS...
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 01:10 am
@Rockhead,

As Noddy would say, Hold Your Dominion. Go out and howl into the winds and show 'em who is boss.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 01:11 am
@Butrflynet,
that one in topeka was the tail end of the storm that went past gram.

mean little storm...

big wind and rain, but nothing dramatic here so far.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 01:11 am
OK.

there was the giant lightning.

off goes the computer for a bit...

back later.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 01:17 am
@Rockhead,
Gather all the kitties and hug em tight.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 01:30 am
@Butrflynet,
funny that...

stinky allows only one person to pick him up. and I'm not her...

and bubba won't share me ever. she's very selfish when she feels safely within my reach. stinky rarely swats her when I can see...

but I think the storm blew right on through.

Ima give gram the all clear in a few minutes, and we can get some sleep...
msolga

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 01:44 am
@Rockhead,
Phew.
I was waiting to see that you were all OK.

(Cat loyalties are funny like that. There was one cat (Rats) I absolutely adored ... my constant shadow. An adopted grey stray cat. I was the only person allowed pick him up, ever. Even the vet wouldn't attempt to. A strictly one person cat, that one.)

Night night & sweet dreams, Rocky & co..
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 01:45 am
@Rockhead,
KS governor has declared state of emergency for entire state.

Hopefully, this was the worst of it and tomorrow won't be as rough.

Get some sleep soon.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 01:48 am
Worrying in da Big Apple. Be safe--you and the felines and gram and Smoky. Tutti.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 01:49 am
@msolga,
stinky doesn't do the vet thing. he bit my friend's wife through a bite-proof glove once. drew blood. she was mad as hell when I got back to town...

I think all we have left is rain. good for all my transplants. we now have rosy sharons all down the drive and across the road side of the yard. smoky will be pleased that the place is still standing, and the flowers are happy.

I emptied all the buckets and fed the fishes, now Ima crash like a load of bricks...
mismi

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:29 am
@Rockhead,
Thankful to hear that you are safe and that nothing got damaged there where you are.

Butrflynet - hate hearing about all of the tornadoes though. The ones at night are the scariest.

Hugs to all
mis
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 06:41 am
@Rockhead,
I wish wed get some of that stormy weather (keep the twistersthough). Its getting really dry around here
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 09:17 am
@farmerman,
Butrflynet didn't go to bed until about 2 a.m. when she knew Rockhead was OK.

BBB
Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 11:31 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
her concern is much appreciated...

anyone heard from Eva?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 11:46 am
@Rockhead,
Not yet. Where is Eva? Last I heard was on my post and she was heading to bed to get some sleep.

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 12:58 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Dozens of overnight tornadoes rip across Midwest, killing 5 people, leveling homes
By Associated Press
April 15, 12:27 PM

WOODWARD, Okla. — The television was on and tuned to forecasters’ dire warnings of an impending storm when Greg Tomlyanobich heard a short burst from a tornado siren blare after midnight. Then silence. Then rumbling.

The 52-year-old quickly grabbed his wife and grandson, hurrying them into the emergency cellar as debris whirled around their heads at their mobile home park in northwest Oklahoma. They huddled inside with about 20 other people before the tornado — among more than 100 reported to have swept across the nation’s midsection during the weekend — roared across the ground above, ripping homes from their foundations.

More than a dozen possible tornadoes were reported Saturday as forecasters warned residents across the nation's midsection to brace for "life-threatening" weather.

More than a dozen possible tornadoes were reported Saturday as forecasters warned residents across the nation's midsection to brace for "life-threatening" weather.

“It scared the hell out of me,” Tomlyanobich said.

The storm killed five people and injured more than two dozen in and around Woodward, a town about 140 miles northwest of Oklahoma City, but it was the only tornado that caused fatalities. Many of the touchdowns raked harmlessly across isolated stretches of rural Kansas, and though communities in Iowa and Kansas were hit, residents and officials credited days of urgent warnings from forecasters for saving lives.

When Tomlyanobich emerged from the underground shelter after the storm had subsided, he saw a scattered trail of destruction: home insulation, siding and splintered wood where homes once stood; trees stripped of leaves, clothing and metal precariously hanging from limbs.

“It just makes you sick to your stomach. Just look at that mangled steel,” he said Sunday, pointing to what appeared to be a giant twisted steel frame that had landed in the middle of the mobile home park, which is surrounded by rural land dotted with oil field equipment.

The storms were part of an exceptionally strong system that the Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Okla., which specializes in tornado forecasting, had warned about for days. The center took the unusual step of warning people more than 24 hours in advance of a possible “high-end, life-threatening event.”

Woodward suffered the worst of the destruction from the storms, which also struck in Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska. Bloodied survivors in the 12,000-resident town emerged to find flipped cars, smashed trailers and mangled power lines. Streets were left dotted with mangled vehicles, toppled power lines and leveled buildings.

Retired firefighter Marty Logan said he spotted the tornado when it knocked down power lines, causing flashes of light, and saw a radio tower’s blinking lights go black. He later saw a man emerge from a twisted, wrecked sport utility vehicle that had been tossed along the side of the road.

“The guy had blood coming down his face,” Logan said. “It was scary, because I knew it was after midnight and a lot of people were in bed.”

Authorities said a signal tower for Woodward’s tornado sirens was struck by lightning and hit by a tornado early Sunday morning. Police Chief Harvey Rutherford said the tower that was supposed to send a repeating signal to the town’s tornado siren system was knocked out.

Considering the tornado struck at night and the sirens were damaged, it’s remarkable that there wasn’t a greater loss of life, Rutherford said. “We had the hand of God take care of us,” he said.

View Photo Gallery

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/reported-tornadoes-large-hail-hit-midwest-amid-warnings-of-life-threatening-weather/2012/04/14/gIQAw756HT_story.html?hpid=z4

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 08:12 pm
just a lot of wind today...

lost my firkin glasses. never to be found again, methinks. twas outside while clearing brush.

I'll add that to tomorrow's wally list.

got my yard mowed. pond garden is looking awesome. my purple pineapple lily came back. and all my hostas are up and running...

gonna make dinner and relax. needs to be an early night tonight.

too much excitement the last few...
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 08:16 pm
@Rockhead,
That may not be good. The lenses will act like magnifying glasses in the heat of summer when the grasses are bone dry.

Did you search the brush pile for them?

Did you make it to your grams house to check her roof? How are things in her area?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.06 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 08:21:35