Random thoughts from the moose cave.

Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 05:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
it might get a bit hairy here before it's all over.

I have good radar, and won't sleep until there is no threat.

the fraidy hole is a last resort kinda thing. more likely I'll jump in the 4 x 4 and chase...
msolga

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 05:52 pm
Morning, Rocky.
I see some silly sausage with time on his/her hands has thumbed-down most of the posts on the previous page.
I know such things don't bother you at all .... but I have done my good deed for the day.
Now I am the only thumbed-down one. Razz
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 06:11 pm
@Rockhead,
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/523813_10150746242890842_65676345841_9403936_736611683_n.jpg

You better be careful....that does NOT look good.
Come back soon and let us know how you're doing please.

My 12 yo pitcher struck out 7 kids in 3 innings. It was SO beast.
And my poor little 8 yo had a walkfest. Totally made me sad for him.

And I got a sunburn.

And I am with Beth...who's normal? Wink
Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 06:28 pm
@mismi,
if all o' them nasty little cells decide to link up, we will get some fireworks.

I'm outside weeding in the rain. and watching the sky...

it's rumbly now.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 07:52 pm
lotso wind, not much else yet. they are passing west of me for now...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 08:15 pm
@mismi,
Hey, mismi, the shoe is on the other foot this weekend! Laughing

Glad to hear that things are avoiding your lil cabin, Rocky. Hopefully it remains that way the rest of the weekend.

Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 08:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
there is a small cell hitting gram right now.

still just big wind here.

I am night gardening...
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 09:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
You are right Butrflynet. Smile
Stay safe Rock. Thoughts are with you and Gram (and my prayers Razz)
Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 09:38 pm
@mismi,
there's a whole line of new stuff popping up from here to Lubbock.

might be a late night...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 10:11 pm
be safe

just back from a Sisters of Salome fundraiser for a local belly dance troupe, great show and I nabbed some stuff in the silent auction. I lerve lerve lerve silent auctions.

went to a clothing swap in the morning, going to the Green Living Show tomorrow - free admission with a piece of dead electronics - Brenda nabbed two old Polaroid cameras at the clothing swap - we'll use them to get into the Green Living Show. There is a media swap there - bring in dvds or cd's you don't want and swap! their target is 10,000 media pieces swapped over three days. We'll do our part Mr. Green
Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 10:27 pm
@ehBeth,
the 21st I am going to the livestock auction.

not planning to purchase, but you never know what might happen at an auction.

mosta my experience involves buying or selling old iron, so I want to get my feet wet with the farmers.

nobody likes being a rube...
ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 10:37 pm
@Rockhead,
auctions can be dangerous

you can get auction head and end up with stuff you don't want or need

I used to set myself item limits as well as day limits when I was seriously into auctions
Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 10:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I do really well with cars.

gonna get a feel for goats first...

I worked for a guy in KC that had a lane of his own and rolled about 150 cars a week through the sale. I stayed busy other than on sale days moving cars around and fixing mistakes. we sold a lot of scary stuff, mostly to tote the note guys...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 11:03 pm
Sounds like some damage in the city, in the SE parts. QT at Pawnee & Rock "destroyed"? I do not miss these nights in KS.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 11:11 pm
@Ticomaya,
gram is about 2 or 3 miles from there.

she went in her closet when I called and told her it was on top of her. she's ok and her house was not damaged that she can tell.

apparently the air base got hit hard as well...

I'll prolly go over there tomorrow and look at her roof.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 11:14 pm
this storm is still growing.

Dodge City just lit up like a christmas tree, and the winds are gaining speed now...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 11:22 pm
A mobile home park near 52nd Street South and Clifton was heavily damaged by a tornado that swept through Wichita tonight.

There also was a fire burning in the middle of the Pinaire Mobile Home Park, apparently caused by a ruptured natural gas line. There were no immediate reports of how many people might have been injured.

Emergency vehicles were having trouble getting to the park because of extensive damage to trees and power lines in the area. Many emergency responders were arriving on foot to the park.

Shortly after the storm – which swept up from Oklahoma and through Sumner County and south Wichita – passed through, residents of the park were shouting the names of family members who were missing. Other residents were asking people to be quiet so they could hear the voices of people who might be trapped in the debris.

Many residents were gathering at the entrance to the park.

The storms also caused heavy damage at Spirit AeroSystems, Boeing and McConnell Air Force Base.

Boeing spokesman Forrest Gossett said that the plant “took a direct hit.” A skeleton crew was on duty, he said, but there were no immediate reports of injuries. The company won’t be able to assess the damage until morning, he said, but it was extensive.

At Spirit AeroSystems, part of the side of the manufacturing process facility was also gone once the storm passed. Officials there also were working late Saturday night to assess damage, and the plant was without power. There were no immediate reports of injuries. Debris was along MacArthur Road along the plant.

The storm that hit the mobile home park was part of a strong system that moved across Kansas, churning up more than a dozen tornados but causing no deaths or major damage across the state by late evening.

The system spawned at least six tornadoes in rural western Kansas Saturday afternoon, including one north of Dodge City that was on the ground for about half an hour.

As the storms swept across the state, a large tornado skirted the city limits of Salina on Saturday evening as another tornado 90 miles away threatened the Reno County city of Pretty Prairie.

The Kansas Division of Emergency Management activated its emergency operations center in Topeka to monitor the storms and prepare to provide assistance needed. But as dusk settled over the state, it appeared that little help was needed.

Emergency management officials said initial reports indicated that structural damage was limited to outbuildings and one home in Rush County.

Minor wind damage was reported in Russell County, where K-18 was closed near Luray and Lucas due to power lines on the road. Minor flooding was reported in low-lying areas around the state.

Concerns about the storm outbreak prompted McConnell Air Force Base to relocate 16 aerial refueling tankers to Grand Forks Air Force Base in North Dakota, said base spokeswoman Lt. Jessica Brown.

http://www.kansas.com/2012/04/14/2296843/tornado-heavily-damages-south.html
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 11:24 pm
@Rockhead,
Chances are, if you live in or near a mobile home park, you are in the path. Why is this always the case.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 11:39 pm
@Ticomaya,
all of my neighbors have mobile homes on 5 acres.

my cabin would not qualify as such. it's more of an antique travel trailer.

we have a fraidy hole for a reason...
Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 12:47 am
it looks like Ima get my wish. this one is coming right for me, and gonna skirt the big city. unless it alters course...

but the winds picked up, and it's starting to rain.

I think it's coming...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.07 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 10:28:18