Random thoughts from the moose cave.

Rockhead

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 09:27 pm
I slowed down and worked in second tonight...

put up 3 sections of stockade fence for a windbreak. and solidified my landscape timber wall on the same side. (south)

gonna try and knock down some of the gales coming through to the pond area.

and I been hauling brush out to a legal burn site 100 feet from any structure in the back pasture.

big bonfire later this summer...

eating some tater tots for dinner.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 09:34 pm
@Rockhead,
yeah
that whole tranny thing

means something special in boytown

or maybe

Rockhead

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 09:40 pm
@ehBeth,
yeah, I'm familiar with that definition as well. when we built the website almost ten years ago, my bosses were floored at what just a slight difference in spelling and keywords could bring about...

we were verra careful.

but, as far as those of us here on the prairie,

Homey don't play that...

JPB

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 11:14 am
@Rockhead,
Holy hell!

Everything ok where you are?

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/29/10920581-softball-sized-hail-smashes-windshields-in-kansas

http://m.static.newsvine.com/servista/imagesizer?file=miguel-llanos4CF20397-A5F7-6899-3D9E-9F10332235A3.jpg&width=600
Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 11:15 am
@JPB,
yup.

twas northeast of us.

but it put on quite a light show on the horizon...

kansas hail grows very large in the spring.

we didn't even get wet..
Ceili

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 11:25 am
@Rockhead,
It's like that on the prairies. One side of the street can get pummeled, while the other side is as dry as a bone. That stuff would have mashed up the new plants pretty darn good though. Makes me happy when mother nature doesn't screw with the people I know.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 11:27 am
@Ceili,
it's early yet.

we will have a big storm season this year...

I am building a shelter area where I can stash my big tropical potted stuff in the event of hail.

I learned a lot during last years 30 minute barrage...
Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 11:34 am
I gotta run, other folks expect me earlier than is comfortable yet. looks like the rain is gone for a few days.

anyone wishing to leave GF/DF pizza recipes here will receive extra credit...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 11:40 am
@Rockhead,
Not a very glowing review but...

GF-DF mac and cheese, pizza and chocolate cake
Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 11:43 am
@JPB,
Ima try and see how I react to goat cheese.

if I'm ok with it, I may try some sheep mozza and see what happens.

I like pamela's crust ok. it's better than chef boy artie...
sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 11:49 am
@JPB,
!!!!!

That's some big-ass hail.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 11:56 am
@Rockhead,
Yup. Almost everynight during the summer here too. I once had a boyfriend who had a beautiful souped up 67 stang. One day we had a tornado rip through town and the hail was as big a grapefruit. I remember watching as he tried in vain to cover the car with cardboard and the resulting bruises and massive dents that were received by both man and beast. We usually get a least on bad hail storm and several smaller stone showers per annum. I've been stuck inside cars during those storms and the sound is unbelievable.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 12:13 pm
@Rockhead,
The smell that buck goats give off is the smell you find in goat milk or goat cheese. Some people like it, I dont. GAMEYNESS is certainly a subjective thing. I love wild goose, I like the lfavor which is a biot gamey. My wife doesnt ,(She doesnt like wild rabbit either) SO she will eat pheasant or mallard duck but not much else in wild poultry. She says the gaminess is unique and reminds her of that smell you get when defeathering a chicken except a lot more concentrated. I dont mind that as an undertaste(Now that shes reminded me of it).

Nother thing I cannot stomach is DEER MEAT, its too mealy and somewhat metallic to my tatset. However, I love moose meat or bison (if you cook it for a week or so)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 01:11 pm
http://www.rawlawyer.com/2011/06/finally-amazing-gluten-free-vegan-pizza.html

http://forlifepersonalchef.com/2011/01/25/pizza/

Quinoa Pizza Crust

makes 2 thin 8 inch crusts

1 1/2c. quinoa, soaked overnight and drained

1/2 – 3/4 c. pure water

1 tsp. celtic sea salt

1/4c. olive oil

(of course you are using organic ingredients!)

Preheat oven t0 450º F. Place the quinoa, water, and salt in a blender and blend until creamy. The consistency will be thick ( like pancake batter). Start with 1/2c. water and see if you need more. Divide the olive oil and cover the bottom of 2 8 in. cake pans. Place the pans in the oven until they are shimmering hot ( not smoking).Remove from the oven. At this point, you can add some minced garlic and/or herbs if you would like. Divide the quinoa mixture evenly. Bake for 20 minutes. Flip the crusts over and return to bake another 10 minutes. They should be brown and crispy.

At this point, let your imagination take over. Top with classic pizza ingredients or try something new. I have recently renewed my love of pesto but as you can imagine not your typical pesto. This one is made of arugula, parsley, walnuts, olive oil, hemp oil, and garlic. Delicious! Pesto is a nutrient dense food that assists the liver in detoxifying the body and helps lower blood fats. So, on went a hearty layer of pesto. I topped this with some caramelized onions and sauteed red chard, mixed with some pine nuts. Lots of vegetables, that deep red color that is good for us. The “icing on the cake” is a few dollops of kefir cheese. I strained some goat’s milk kefir to get the liquid whey for some fermenting that I am doing this week. What is left is a thick sour cream like substance that is delicious! AND it contains lots of good bacteria/probiotics.

Every part of this pizza is actually full of nutrition and while it does not look like pizzeria pizza, it was so good and gave me pleasure that a slice of that pizzeria pizza would not. I am satiated from the good fats, my belly is full from the big pile of chard, and I am happy with having made a good choice for dinner.

http://forlifepersonalchef.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/personal-chef-charity-dasenbrocks-veggie-pizza-1024x768.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 01:14 pm
@ehBeth,
http://www.dailybitesblog.com/2012/03/20/iris-brittanys-vegan-pizza-crust/

Quote:
Vegan Pizza Crust

Recipe reprinted with permission from The Essential Gluten-Free Baking Guide Part One, by Brittany Angell & Iris Higgins

Makes one 12-inch pizza crust

-

1 tablespoon ground flax seed meal

1 tablespoon whole psyllium husks

3⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water

1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil

96 grams millet flour (3⁄4 lightly filled cup)

86 grams potato starch (1⁄2 cup)

1 tablespoon double acting baking powder

2 teaspoons unrefined granulated sugar

3⁄4 teaspoon salt

Your favorite pizza toppings

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Take out a baking sheet and cut a piece of parchment paper the size of the sheet.
In a small bowl, stir together the flax seed, psyllium husks, boiling water, and olive oil. Let sit for 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the millet flour, potato starch, baking powder, sugar and salt.
Once the flax mixture has rested for 5 minutes, whisk it for 30 seconds, then pour it into the dry ingredients, stirring until it comes together into a dough. It should be easy to handle at this point. Shape into a ball and roll it out on the parchment paper to about 1/8–1⁄4 inch thickness. Place the parchment paper on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and top however you like. Bake another 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Freeze and reheat leftovers as you would any other pizza.

Hallie’s notes: I used an equal weight of arrowroot starch for the potato starch. I used coconut sugar for the sweetener. I divided the dough into two balls and baked them on separate baking sheets, rotating them once halfway through baking to ensure even cooking. Before baking the pizza rounds, I sprinkled them with extra sea salt and some dried herbs.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 01:19 pm
@ehBeth,
this looks like the best (of the ones I've looked at in the last couple of months)

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.ca/2011/02/gluten-free-pizza-crust-my-new-recipe.html

Karina's Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Recipe

I'm finally happy with a pizza crust. It's the best gluten-free dairy-free pizza crust I've eaten. These particular flours bring superior flavor and a perfect pizza crust texture. Slightly golden crisp at the edge, with a tender, flexible middle. Not too thick and not too thin. You can hold a slice in your hand and bite.

Ingredients:

2 cups tapioca flour/starch
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup GF millet flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
3 tablespoons organic light brown sugar
1 1/4 cup warm water (between 110 - 115ºF)
1 teaspoon organic light brown sugar
1 packet (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1/4 cup good olive oil
1/4 cup beaten organic free-range egg whites (or egg replacer for two eggs)
1/4 teaspoon light tasting rice vinegar

Instructions:

Grease two 12-inch pizza pans and dust lightly with gluten-free flour. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours and dry ingredients.

Proof the yeast in 1 cup warm water with a pinch of sugar.

Add the proofed yeast to the dry ingredients. Add the oil, eggs and vinegar.

Beat the dough until smooth and sticky. The pizza dough should be creamy smooth and not too thick- it's not sturdy like typical bread dough. It almost borders on batter.

Using a silicone spatula divide the dough in half. Scoop each half onto the center of a prepared pizza pan. Using clean, wet hands press down lightly and flatten the dough to create a thin, even pizza shell, with slightly raised edges. You'll have to rinse your hands more than once to do this. Take your time to smooth out the dough with wet palms. Have patience, Bubela. You will be rewarded with a lovely crust. Promise.

Set the pizza shells in a warm cozy spot to rest and rise a bit- about 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

When the oven is hot, place the two pizza pans side by side on the center rack (if your oven is too small to accommodate both pans on one rack, you'll need to use two racks; rotate the pans half way through baking time to avoid overcooking on the lower rack).

Bake for ten minutes till golden.

Remove from the oven. Preheat the broiler.

Brush the pizza shell with extra virgin olive oil. Season with sea salt and fresh garlic. Sprinkle with Italian herbs.

Top with your choice of fresh vegetables and herbs.

I used:

Fresh baby spinach leaves and basil
Roasted eggplant slices
Sliced fresh tomatoes
Vegan "mozzarella" cheese
Italian herbs (dried oregano, marjoram, parsley, rosemary, thyme)
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil all over the top

Broil briefly to melt the cheese, 4-5 minutes. Don't over cook.

Cook time:20 min

Yield: Makes two 12-inch pizzas

Read more: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/02/gluten-free-pizza-crust-my-new-recipe.html#ixzz1qXF1UbU5

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BZZKQkS_S8Y/TWQCPcqpEXI/AAAAAAAALUc/bxVYOMKjZ-A/s640/Gluten-Free-Pizza-Crust-Recipe-YUM.jpg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 06:08 pm
hail.

started as I was running helter skelter to get here, and It's too intense to go move plants now. I threw a blanket (the one I had over my head to get to the cabin from my truck) over the dieffenbachia. everyone else is on their own...

this was not supposed to happen...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 06:17 pm
it has let up, Ima go survey the damages...

firkin hail.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 06:57 pm
this is an ugly little storm.

I called mr vw and told him to prepare for hail. it's heading his way...

it's also back building and getting ready for another run at us here.

got my hail defense in place now, so we prolly won't see anymore of it today.

oh well.

coulda been worse. golf ball size.

no broken glass, and smoky won't be able to see the damage on his car. it's slight, and freshly redone from last years pounding.

I left him space in the shop to pull it in in emergency situations, but he didn't see it coming either...
ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2012 07:45 pm
@Rockhead,
yuck

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 04:36:38