Random thoughts from the moose cave.

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 10:13 am
@mismi,
Its not so much being a germophobe, flip flops are able to sck up and store viel toxins from the ground and distribute them to your feet. Stdies have shown a close association of foot disorders in thrid world countries where flip flops are worn all the time.
I have a pair I wore on the boat and when I sold the boat I nailed the flops onto a board and hung em on the wall of the studio.

I wear flip flops as shower shoes and I always keep severa; peir so that they dry completely.

I dont get many colds and when I do, they are mild. Course I wash my hands pretty often and carry that alcohol gel when I go into the field
mismi

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:12 pm
@farmerman,
Ugh...will have to process all of that.

I am not sure how I feel about not having my flipflops. Right now it is not even registering. The idea of having to throw them away after a weeks wear just keeps bouncing off of my cerebral cortex - it will not be absorbed and understood.

Though this is not THAT unusual. Razz
Rockhead

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:29 pm
@farmerman,
"without good hay ricks, will walk all over their dinner(Never feed by just dumping hay on the ground, the sheep will **** and sleep in it and then eat it and spread parasites . We use a series of hay ricks and a cattle feeding set up that came with the dairy barn at the farm."

OK...

I goggled hay rick images. and got houses made of hay, and haystacks, and a female weight lifter of some sort.

so I added sheep to the front, and still no images of anything that looks like a sheep feeding apparatus...

help me out here, please.

(we must remember that I am a city bred auto mechanicular kinda person. but with a farm fetish of sorts)
Ceili

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:41 pm
@Rockhead,
I think this is the sort of thing farmer means..
http://www.magnus.com.au/pictures/feeders/hayfeeder2.jpg
Rockhead

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:42 pm
@Ceili,
thank you.

I can build one from that picture...
JPB

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:44 pm
Don't coyotes like chickens too?
Ceili

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:44 pm
@Rockhead,
I've seen them built with wood too.
Ceili

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:45 pm
@mismi,
You can always throw flip flops in the washing machine with a bit of bleach.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:45 pm
@JPB,
I have a coyote proof chicken yard with a chicken house in it. and it is within 50 feet of the cabin.

and chickens are $3 each...
Rockhead

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:46 pm
@Ceili,
I have lotsa scrap iron and a very functional welder.

wood is expensive...
JPB

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:47 pm
@Rockhead,
cool.

Is the coop downwind from the cabin? Chicken **** is rank.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:49 pm
@JPB,
except during the winter, yes.

it is due north of the pond garden, which lies behind the cabin. and it is way bigger than the 10 chickens Ima start with need...

chicken **** is also good fertilizer, if slightly hot)
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:49 pm
@Rockhead,
It's the opposite here. I wish I could weld. I'm taking my trailer off the frame soon and wish I could rebuild it..
Rockhead

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:51 pm
@Ceili,
Is there a school near you that teaches welding?

sometimes you can have students work on it for free, or the cost of the metal...

It won't be pretty, but it won't matter on your little trailer frame.

I'd do it for free, but the travel costs would be a hurdle...
Rockhead

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 12:55 pm
I gotta go run ol' bob's power steering setup to him. still kinda wonky this morning, I think it's mostly the rainy cold weather.

(like this is really cold)

back soon, no gas for running around...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 01:04 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah, there's a school just up the road, but it's a 4 year apprentice program. No worries though, I've got a few contacts. I do appreciate the offer.. Smile
Have a great day..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 01:40 pm
@farmerman,
most of the Fit Flop kinda things (not flip flops, they're different critters) are treated with antibacterial junk

the things I'm talking about run $50 - $100/pair - they're not the disposable kind
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 01:55 pm
@Ceili,
ceili got it. Thats exactly what I mean except ors has a thick plastic liner to catch the hay chunks as they fall from the frame. They are fairly easy to make (I dont do good welding Im a real clutz at it so I had mine made by some Amish kids) I designed the holder for the plastic liner. (That keeps the sheep from skinnning themselves up as they mash up against the bottom of the thing. Ours are about 10 ft long and have wheels on one end and a clevis mount on the other so I can tow em with the tractor (lift em up with the three point and I can move em around among the various pastres )
Rockhead

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 03:36 pm
@farmerman,
I think I am getting rid of my tractor, but...

I looked at my big cattle feeder, and I think it will work for goats.

yes, I think I am leaning toward goats...

my friend JB, that works for ol' bob, and is the best mechanic I know, has a boy that is running 200 head or so of goats. I just found out today...

I am going to go over and talk with them, and prolly end up buying a pair to start my own goat herd with.

I also think that he may wanna go in halvsies on an order of araucanas with me. I am getting ready to order some. my sis wants a few, and I think Ima get a dozen hens and one rooster. I took a good look at the chicken pen today (it's still raining steady) if I do a little fence repair and fix the door to the henhouse, I think I am ready. this place used to be a commercial chicken farm, and there is a large amount of equipment left over from those days. stuff I don't even know ywt what it was for. lots of feeders and stuff, too.

smoky will enjoy helping me figger out what it all is...
mismi

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2012 03:45 pm
@Rockhead,
Sounds like a real farm is about to come to be again. How fun is that? I would love to get chicks for the boys for Easter...or baby ducks...and we can let them go at the lake when they are old enough...but I am scared to. My dogs might eat them.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 12:46:13