DECLINES IN FISH STOCKS WORLDWIDE_the ecology of exinction

spendius

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 06:30 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Relax spendi, your buddy has the floor now

You have a number of buddies. A declining number. I never advised you to relax on the grounds that wande or ros or ci or Setanta or Ed or others have had the floor. Odd how you jump all over me like that as soon as someone comes on showing some agreement with me. It could look like you wake up every morning with your memory erased.

Your subjectivity is ridiculous.

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:34 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Yeah--and if I was one of them I would cut the rainforest down too. And so would you. Clear some land and grow crops cheaper that they can further north. And flog the trees for classy furniture.

Are you sure saving the rainforests is not a trick to keep up the prices of the crops grown less efficiently than further north. Two, even three, harvests a year.

Europe was rainforest once.

You elitist pillock. You just want to keep the locals on a dollar a day then they won't start getting two car families and detached houses....

You're a racist to the roots of your arse. So am I but I admit it. Don't come that superior Grauniad moral tone with me Sunny Jim.

Why don't you save your sanctimonious illogical twaddle for those who might be impressed by it.

Surely you don't think it's the noble peasants who put in the haul roads, supply the chainsaws and the timber-handling machinery?
It's not the natives who are growing palm oil for your margarine and lipstick, or supplying MacDonalds with beef. They work for a day wage. It's big business, which knows the price of everything, and cares little about the value, or the consequences long-term of its actions.
Ionus

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 05:21 pm
@McTag,
Big business runs roughshode over everyone and everything not just the ecosystem. How do you suggest we stop it ? Money is power. No money, no power.
spendius

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 05:37 pm
@Ionus,
Scrap TV. It is an invention too far. It makes brains into plastic extrusions.

Orson Wells proved that and he only had radio.

We've blown it.

Listen to Dylan sing Precious Angel.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 01:59 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

I just bought a standard size can of cat food with tuna in it, for A$ 0.96 . Assuming there were a problem with fish stocks, why is the price so low ?

crap can food tuna for pets is made from crap from tuna. Human tuna is made from the good meat of the tuna. Have you seen the outrageous price of ONE can of tuna?
I usually ignore outrageous ignorance but thought I would just tell YOU.
dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 02:13 am

Please note the date line. I'd be interested to know if anything else turns up on this

Millions of salmon fail to turn up in Canada
MICHEL COMTE
August 14, 2009
Millions of salmon have mysteriously failed to turn up in a Canadian river as part of their annual spawning, leaving experts baffled and the local fishing industry in despair.

The Canadian government's Department of Fisheries and Oceans projected that between six and 10 million sockeye salmon would return to the Fraser river this month.

But the official count for the annual 'summer run' -- by far the largest of four salmon migrations that see millions of fish return to Canada's lakes and rivers from the Pacific each year from June to late August -- is now just 600,000.
Local fishermen, quoted by the daily Globe and Mail, described the situation as "shocking," a "catastrophe" and a "crisis," while public broadcaster CBC said 2009 could end up being the worst year ever for the industry.

A record number of salmon smolts were born in the Fraser in 2005 and migrated to the ocean. Nature dictates that most of them should have returned by now to spawn.

"It's a bit of a mystery," Stan Proboszcz, an expert fish biologist from the Watershed Watch Salmon Society, told AFP.

"Honestly, we don't know what happens to them when they go out into the ocean," he said. "There's a myriad of factors that could explain what's going on." It is "quite shocking," he added.

Officials and ecologists speculated the salmon could have been affected by warmer ocean temperatures, fewer food sources, or juvenile salmon may have contracted sea lice or other infections from some 30 fish farms in the Strait of Georgia as they migrated out to sea.

Proboszcz, however, suggested that fishing industry officials may have miscalculated their complex forecasts or that the fish could just be late arriving -- although he conceded the latter theory was highly unlikely.

Wild salmon are under threat in many rivers of the north Pacific and north Atlantic because of overfishing at sea.

Environmental groups in Canada, Norway and Scotland have been fierce critics of salmon farms because of fears over sea lice -- naturally occurring parasites of wild salmon that latch onto the fishes' skin in the open ocean.

Salmon farms are a haven for these parasites, which adult salmon can survive but which small, thin-skinned juveniles are vulnerable to, especially when heading from the river to the sea.

Department of Fisheries and Oceans spokeswoman Lara Sloan said the main Fraser river fishery had not opened due to the drop in numbers and that another local fishery had scaled back this season's catch to just five percent of the norm. No recreational fishing has been allowed.

Sloan would not be drawn on the reason behind the lack of fish.

"There are a lot of variations in the ocean," she said. "They're all interconnected, so it's impossible to point to one reason for this happening.

"So far, they're not coming back in the numbers we expected, but we will continue to look for them."

Other species, pink salmon and chum salmon, are due to arrive around the end of August through October. So far there is no indication they have been affected.

Chinook salmon are also returning to spawn in the region, but they have been a "conservation concern" for several years, and their numbers remain low.

© 2010 AFP
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 02:30 am
This artical appears unrealated to my earlier post on salmon.

Native Americans on NZ salmon mission
Tuesday, 23 March 2010, 1:51 pm
Press Release: Tourism New Zealand

Native Americans on NZ salmon mission

23 Mar 2010

A group of Native Americans are on a spiritual mission in New Zealand - to ask chinook salmon to return home to California.

Winnemem Wintu tribal leaders will gather on the banks of the Rakaia River, in Canterbury, next Sunday (28.03.10) to apologise to the chinook salmon - an introduced species that's also known as quinnat in New Zealand.

At the culmination of a four-day ceremony, the 24 representatives will perform the "nur chonas winyupus" or middle water salmon dance.

Chinook salmon eggs were shipped from America to New Zealand more than 130 years ago and the fish now thrives in Canterbury rivers.

Twenty-eight representatives of the Winnemem Wintu people from California plan to apologise to the Chinook salmon, known in New Zealand as quinnat, which they believe is descended from eggs taken from their rivers.

The Winnemem believe their tribe's problems began in the 1940s when a dam blocked the Sacramento and McCloud rivers, cutting off the seasonal salmon run.

A spokesperson for Ngai Tahu says the Winnemem have been in discussions with local Maori over their plans to reintroduce the salmon to their native waterways.

[The New York Times reports the Winnemem will apologise to the salmon in a four-day ceremony on the banks of the Rakaia River starting on 28 March, which tribal elders say has not been performed in more than 60 years.
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2010/03/22/1247f88e7506
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 02:54 am
Ok found the info i was looking for AND ITS NOT GOOD.
http://www.watershed-watch.org/Salmon-VanSun-Mar6_2010.pdf
Forecast not looking good for B.C.'s salmon stocks this year
MARCH 6, 2010
BY STEPHEN HUME, VANCOUVER SUN
Another disastrous season for B.C.'s iconic wild salmon appears to be unfolding even as yet another
inquiry gets underway, this time into the collapse of last year's Fraser River sockeye runs.
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 05:02 am
@dadpad,
Good "investigative reporting" DP. Great that you were able to find a string of articles on a subject like that. Im goung to go look up what I can about "sea lice" Ive seen them on whales and they can be huge .I believe that they are a crustacean like a crab.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 05:13 am
@dadpad,
HERES a diagram of a sea louse life cycle. The work was done at PEI Ubiveristy (I did not even know that there WAS a University named PEI). It is a gross little beastie that can get to be several cm long and goes from a free living stage to a parasitic stage when it attaches to fish whose scales arent protective enough. I know that the salmon farms in Maine and Bay of Fundy Canada are chock full of salmon pens . I woinder whether the crash of the cod has any relation to the sea lice infestations. They seem to be saying that cod-FRY are not as numerous.     http://www.upei.ca/~anatphys/Sea_Lice/lep.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 05:22 am
PEI stands for Prince Edward Island. It is one of the Canadian maritime provinces.
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 05:29 am
@Setanta,
I knew that. Maybe I should have said that "I didnt know that there was a Iniversity NAMED FOR PEI) I was amazed that there was a Univerity of the same name, I never heard of it before and we go to PEI every couple years for some RnR
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 05:38 am
Try the potatoes next time you go there. PEI is the "Idaho" of Canada. PEI potatoes are the gold standard, and products like fries in the freezer section will advertise that they are made from PEI potatoes. That's true in eastern Canada, anyway. It might be different on the Pacific coast. After all, it's about 5000 miles from PEI to the Alaskan border.

The only other thing i know of that PEI is famous for is as the home of confederation. The legislators from the maritime provinces were meeting in Charlottetown in 1867 when John A. McDonald and Georges-Etienne Cartier showed up. They agreed to assume the debt for the Intercolonial Railway, and the confederation was formed, resulting in the Dominion of Canada. It's been downhill north of the border ever since.
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 05:51 am
@Setanta,
They have one of the greatest seafood colonies beginning with "fine Grob suMer" a great restaurant in Malpeque aqnd a good German Restaurant in Charlottetown.
PEI is the worlds leading purveyor of "Anne of Green Gables" crap.
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 05:56 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
PEI is the worlds leading purveyor of "Anne of Green Gables" crap.

Anyone in the maritimes can do that seafood schtick. In PEI, potatoes and Anne are the big industries.
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 06:10 am
@Setanta,
"Youll come to see Green Gables, but youll Stay for the potatoes".

Quick, lets alert the travel media , we have a new slogan for PEI tourism.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:18 am
When I was growing up I knew a number of girls like Anne. I thought she was very nice. I enjoyed the movie. Her Mum was great.

The city jades are not to my taste.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 04:30 am
So weve got problems with salmon, problems with cod and problems with Tuna.
From what i can see the problems all seem to be related around lower than usual reproduction rates.

Who been dumping pesticides into the atlantic?
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 04:50 am
@dadpad,
The answer to that is obvious.

It is the agents of those who have the task of providing us all with a steady and abundant supply of food at prices which leave a large remainder of our incomes available for the purchase of items which create employment and advertising revenue.

Or, to be a little more precise, the bargain hunter. The end user who eats the food and with a few well chosen words distances him or herself from the process and is therefore not to blame.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 04:54 am
@dadpad,
One of the issues that theyve identified in the "pfisteria" cases a few years ago are two

1dumping the raw sewage from ag lots into bays causes algae blooms that suck our the O2

2Detergents have an ability to act like estrogen mimics, so the fish have a "spontaenous sex change"