DECLINES IN FISH STOCKS WORLDWIDE_the ecology of exinction

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 12:55 pm
@spendius,
I didn't closely follow the evolution thread, Spendi, so I'll take your word that there were some nasty things expressed.

Quote:
particularly one with a majority seeing a president sworn in on the Bible and ministers of religion in attendance at funerals of soldiers,

These are particularly laughable, I agree.

"I pledge to uphold the Constitution and murder more foreigners than my predecessor, support more brutal dictators and have my CIA train more torturers and rapists."
farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:00 pm
@JTT,
Well, Glen Beck is trying to rectify that. He wants all of his asslickers to quit their churches becauase churches are breeding grounds of Godless Communism. Qheres Joe MCarthy when we need him?
Is he still dead?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:01 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
You have to note that it is often those with the greatest religiosity [or they trumpet the same] that commit the most heinous of sins and transgressions against their fellow man/woman.

I read the other day that the number of people killed in one day at the destruction of Carthage over 100 years before Christ was not equalled until the wars of the 20th century and which similarly had nothing to do with Christianity.

A lot of the wars between then any now were a bunch of chaps scrapping in a field with pointed sticks over land and money and other stuff. Half of them running away. Far too much is made of those things. A lot of the great sea battles were puffed up by the survivors for various reasons.

The loss of life through famines and plagues was of much greater importance.
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:34 pm
@spendius,
Sounds like religion way back when was the bees knees but the religion of today is evil incarnate. Since we can't extirpate the religion of antiquity then we should aim squarely at the modern, evil version.
djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:36 pm
@JTT,
just when i decide i hate you, you say something that makes sense

why must you torture me
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 01:44 pm
@djjd62,
I can't help it that more than two sentences constitutes torture to you, djjd. Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 02:38 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Since we can't extirpate the religion of antiquity then we should aim squarely at the modern, evil version.

Get extirpating then. Good luck to you JT. From the figures I've seen it ain't going so good so far.

It would probably wither away if the other side simply kept quiet. I suspect farmerman of being deeply religious and trying to get the faithful mad so they will try harder. He does have Amish friends and that's a bit odd given what he says about religious fanatics.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 02:40 pm
@spendius,
one cannot live near the Amish for long, and not have friends among them.

they are a hard working, generous people.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 03:21 pm

Newcomer here...I've not read all of this thread but I saw a very good documentary recently.

Apparently anchovies (a very valuable food fish for humans, among others) are caught to make fish food for fish farms.

Five kilos of anchovies are required to make one kilo of fish food.

It's madness, in ecological terms.
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 03:27 pm
@spendius,
I have no such desire, Spendi, to extirpate any religion [thinking, well maybe not all]. It really was deep tongue in cheek.

The Amish are not religious fanatics; they are far far from it. They are, along with a few others, as close to perfection as it comes for a religious group.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 03:29 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Newcomer here

Welcome to A2K, McTag. I hope you will enjoy your experience here.
McTag

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 03:58 pm
@JTT,

Oh you silly billy. But thank you, I'm sure I shall.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:00 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Five kilos of anchovies are required to make one kilo of fish food.

It's madness, in ecological terms.

It must turn a profit Mac. Some of it for your pension. That's all that matters isn't it? Nearly every ad mentions money. So if it pays to advertise one product think of the effect of that.

But it's easier to think small and then nothing ever happens.
McTag

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:09 pm
@spendius,

How long did it take you to think up that brainfart, you numpty?

Cutting down the rainforest make economic sense too, for a few people.
Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 04:51 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Stop the patronizing useless crap about my mental health
You have looked up the meaning of patronising ? Well done, because you just didnt get it before.

If you are not having health issues then clearly you are stupid. You say that whales were always large and fat and did not adapt to cold waters. You also say (by default) their metabolism is exactly the same now as when the first went in the water. Alone amongst all creatures, they have not evolved. Why is that ? Because I still maintain that whales evolved size and fat as an adaptation to the cold.
Quote:
itll save you vast amounts of personal embarrassment to 11 year olds who know more than you.
Are you in your second childhood ?

Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:00 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
that whales evolved from colder blooded ancestors.
You derived that from :
Quote:
Whales were tropical but evolved to be able to maintain warm blooded when they moved into cold waters.
Whilst you maitain there is nothing wrong with your mental health I think it would be wise to get a second opinion.

You see the key words are : being able to maintain warm blooded sit down with a dictionary until you understand.

Quote:
they didnt spend time developing thermoregulation since it was already developed 100 million years prior.
Thats exactly what they did...they regulate there heat with the aid of fat and size.

Dont worry about your colleagues, I think they realise when you can no longer read you have passed your expiry date.
Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:04 pm
@JTT,
McTag is a regular. He just wandered into a bun fight.
Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:08 pm
@McTag,
Spendy is right. If it makes money, whether it is cutting down rainforests or feeding 5 kg of fish into fish farms to get 1 kg out, someone will do it. We need to use the mechanism of money to stop these things.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:18 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Cutting down the rainforest make economic sense too, for a few people.

Yeah--and if I was one of them I would cut the rainforest down too. And so would you. Clear some land and grow crops cheaper that they can further north. And flog the trees for classy furniture.

Are you sure saving the rainforests is not a trick to keep up the prices of the crops grown less efficiently than further north. Two, even three, harvests a year.

Europe was rainforest once.

You elitist pillock. You just want to keep the locals on a dollar a day then they won't start getting two car families and detached houses and two-car garages with remote controlled up-and-over doors and infant mortality rates in single figures like they are in the ******* stockbroker belt where they plot and plan shagging everything up so they can look good on telly.

You're a racist to the roots of your arse. So am I but I admit it. Don't come that superior Grauniad moral tone with me Sunny Jim.

Ionus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:19 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
unless he means a strict human population control policy and the eradication of advertising on TV
The planet can handle humans. It cant handle 7 billion and rising...every single other problem would shrink : pollution, diminishing wildlife, resource scarcity, every human made problem would be less with less people. The global economy ids also making us globally vulnerable. A disaster which previously would have affected a country now affects the world economy.

And dont get me started on adds. They convince people they need things they didnt even knew existed.