DECLINES IN FISH STOCKS WORLDWIDE_the ecology of exinction

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Is it not obvious? Because destroying the thread is the point.

As if I didn't know that already, Cyclo.

But I was interested in hearing spendius's response to my post. It appears that he is justifying trashing this thread because he & Ionus were somehow prevented from discussing the real issues here. Neutral

I will be very interested to see what he & Ionus make of the opportunity to direct this thread in the "right" direction. I expect they'll give it their best shot, with considerable reference to the thread topic, of course.

Francis

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:39 pm
msolga wrote:
with considerable reference to the thread topic, of course.

Hmmm... I find it a bit fishy..
msolga

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:42 pm
@Francis,
But "fishy" issues are what we're here for, Francis! Wink

OK, over to you, spendy & Ionus, to lead us in discussing these fishy issues better.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:45 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Stop being such a little crybaby, Cy. I remember Foxy registering many a complaint, even against you, if I'm not mistaken, for trashing her thread.

Did it stop you? Not for a second.

First, it was the troll nonsense, then it's "I'm putting you on ignore", then it's whining about someone wrecking a thread. What'll be the next sandbox taunt?

I'm not taunting anyone - but I'm also still uninterested in talking to you, JTT.

You're certainly not a troll, like some here; but you are unwilling to discuss anything at all without turning the conversation to your hobby-horse of how terrible the US is and how we all suck for not agreeing with you. It's exceedingly boring. That, more then anything else, is why you find difficulty in conversations on A2K.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
You're certainly not a troll, like some here; but you are unwilling to discuss anything at all without turning the conversation to your hobby-horse of how terrible the US is and how we all suck for not agreeing with you.

Ah, but I am a troll. I think Tico, and maybe some others, pronounced me so. See how juvenile these taunts are, Cy.

I never once said that you all suck for not agreeing with me, Cy. As an academic, I would think that you'd be more careful. I said that I am shocked at how easily so may dismiss the millions that have died because of US terrorism. Just pick one South American country, Cy, and do a little research.

But then I never thought I'd hear you say, actually I never thought I'd ever hear any academic say, "I don't want to discuss such and such unless you agree to change your mind".

What I've said, [and it's not that it's boring for you, that is the second most childish cop out I've ever heard, it's that you have no way to refute the truth of it], is that the USA is a terrorist nation, by definition, by its own definitions. The USA has engaged in numerous terrorist activities.

The facts are everywhere staring you full in the face. I must note tho' that you've made it abundantly clear that you haven't the intestinal fortitude to address these issues.

I know that, intellectually, you're not at all satisfied with your lame excuse for why the US isn't a terrorist nation. Your defense of it was, shall we say, limp to non-existent.

What should trouble you, deeply, is that you're willing to let such a lame excuse help you turn away from the brutality.

You don't suck for that, but that really really sucks, Cy.

spendius

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:18 pm
@msolga,
You see Cyclo--that's a stylish way of informing you that your saying that Ionus and I, as Her Majesty the Q ueen might say, are engaged in destroying the thread and, indeed, that that is our only consideration, is a load of old cods'wallop and that if Ms Olga has in the past found my posts "interesting" and looks forward to my next one and with even more interest, worth one Very on the Spendi scale of Upwomanship (a Very being a unit of approval and to be taken seriously), then it follows that the thread is at the polar end of demolished just as amusing Ms Olga is at the polar end of amusing you. The thread is actually glistening. She will be "very interested" to see what I have to say next. And not faking it either like I've seen them do in the pub.

I had it done to me ironically. Bloody cheek. Fluttered her eyelashes in faked rapt attention she did and hypnotised me. She got it off Marilyn I think but she glistened a lot better seeing as how she was right there in the flesh. (Excuse me Madam). I was deeply in love.

It was good. Stylish. As a way of contradicting your brash remark.

But Olga, and I hope you don't mind my having a word with Cyclo first, declines of fish stocks is caused by nothing else but human populations and the greed they exhibit.

Suppose you were into the bank for £300, 000 for a small, but modern fishing boat and bureaucrats were restricting your trips and catches on the basis of some emotional clatrap got up by conservationists. Or you were a shareholder in the docks or markets where catches are landed. Or owned property in the vicinity. Whole fishing villages are at risk. Not many votes. Electorally irrelevant. Unlike bed-sit land where they sit watching telly all night eating chocolates and get inspired by some sweet sounding mush to start saving the bloody earth. There's lots of votes there.

If such a person, who has borrowed £300,000 , probably a bloke ( women, in the main, just eat fish, with sauce of course), is too busy to come on A2k don't you think it reasonable for him to be represented however inadequate my representation is.

Why wouldn't the fishing industry be self correcting if it's primary asset is at risk. Farmers look after their land don't they? When you have a giant bureaucracy with petty officials running from dock to dock and from boat to boat with boxes to tick and desk jobs managing it all do you think they will all vanish when stocks of fish are replenished to their satisfaction. Bureaucracies are not known to disband themselves. They just make more movies to show how much they are needed.

A lot of women I know are happy to be dusting the ornaments, and cleaning the downstrairs windows stood on a chair and going to the shops to wallow in the cornucopia of coloured lights and reflections and gossip with the neighbours and put the evening meal, tea where I come from, "dinner" is so provincial I think, in the microwave and blow on it before serving it up to a chap with his braces down, washing up and settling down to another night of ITV with doze, brew,and weeing inserts. You can tell how many there are from the TV ratings.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:26 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
But then I never thought I'd hear you say, actually I never thought I'd ever hear any academic say, "I don't want to discuss such and such unless you agree to change your mind".

I'm sorry, but I didn't ask you to change your mind about anything. I'm not interested in you changing your opinion about anything and I don't wish to limit you from discussing whatever you like. I simply don't wish to discuss certain topics, and it seems that these are the ONLY topics you like to discuss; so we are at an impasse.

I am not interested in your value judgments, based on my unwillingness to discuss certain topics. They don't have any effect on me at all, for they really are just projections of frustration on your part that yet another person on A2K is refusing to engage you.

At some point, it probably would be worth your time to question whether it is everyone else who has a problem, or if the problem lies with you.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

And, effectively, they've succeeded.
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

I'm sorry, but I didn't ask you to change your mind about anything.

Yes, you did, Cy.

Actually, I discuss a wide range of topics here at A2K. You're not a one trick political pony, Cy.

I know that you pretend you're not interested and this pretense comes from your guilt but, again, it's sad that your guilt is so easily subsumed, that you can rationalize away the inhumanity. And yet, in other areas, you posture that you care.
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:37 pm
@Setanta,
The Pathfinder predicted the imminent demise of the Pet Peeve thread too. And if I'm not mistaken this hypocrite of hypocrites was there on Foxy's thread too.

Stop your childish whining, Setanta!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:37 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I didn't ask you to change your mind about anything.

Yes, you did, Cy.

Actually, I discuss a wide range of topics here at A2K. You're not a one trick political pony, Cy.

I know that you pretend you're not interested and this pretense comes from your guilt but, again, it's sad that your guilt is so easily subsumed, that you can rationalize away the inhumanity. And yet, in other areas, you posture that you care.

Laughing Tell ya what. I'll go on not being interested in your topic, and you go on believing that I am doing so out of 'guilt.' I can assure you that it matters not to me, what you believe my motivations are.

That being said, our conversation has come to an end.

Good day, sir

/disengaging target

Cycloptichorn
roger

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:38 pm
@spendius,
I dont' think so. Once you are indebted for £300, 000, you have to pay the loan or lose the boat. Lose the boat is short term. In the long term, we are all dead, anyway. In other words, once you sign the contract, you have to fish.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:39 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

Why wouldn't the fishing industry be self correcting if it's primary asset is at risk.

Because people are stupid, Spendi, and short-term profits trump long-term solidity time and time again.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Not a problem for me, Cy. I know that you're not up to it.

Just one thing. Was this,

Cy: I'm sorry, but I didn't ask you to change your mind about anything.

a lie or did you simply forget?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:45 pm
@JTT,
I said,

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/yzPaVAX6KGQ/0.jpg

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
My question still stands.

You sure do make quick exits for an academic. You sure do run fast from topics you find uncomfortable.

[Yup, Phoenix, you can still edit after someone has posted. Francis was after me and I edited 3 times]
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:49 pm
@roger,
Roger wrote:
In other words, once you sign the contract, you have to fish.

Maybe it's true in your neck of algae but not in Europe.

The bureaucrats will prevent you from doing so, as Spendi said..
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 04:22 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I dont' think so.

You don't think so what?

I know about loans, and losing boats and having to fish and losing money and hoping. Making a bet on one more trip. Boats going down in value. Other stuff too.

As you say--sign and you have to fish. Or get a job on the council. It'll be the same in Japan only jacked up a few gears.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 04:25 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
WHile your fellating the squirrel, Im gonna be filleting some fish for lunch.
There is the summation of your ability to contribute whilsr accusing others of losing their temper. Never mind. When you finish crying, there is always the animals in the barn. wink wink.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 04:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Because destroying the thread is the point.
Your contribution, as usual, is pointless. You have found rubbish on the floor and have decided to throw more, whilst protesting how obnoxious people are for throwing rubbish around like that. Your ego stifles most contributions you pathetically attempt.
0 Replies