Okay, you know what annoys me?

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:24 pm
...when peoples' profiles give no clue about them whatsoever. After talking to someone hundreds of times, it might be nice to have some idea of gender, age, and nationality. Some members have profiles which are blank, and some have profiles which aren't blank, but are "cute and fanciful" and actually have zero information content. Perhaps they are paranoid about putting personal information on the Internet, but I'm not talking about bank account numbers, maybe just "I am a 24 year old accountant from Denmark." How can someone possibly abuse that information? It's annoying to have spoken to someone named Aardvark for five years and have no idea whether it's a man or a woman, old or young, American or Brazilian. Opinions?

djjd62

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:27 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
"I am a 24 year old accountant from Denmark."

interesting, i always assumed you were an american
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:36 pm
@Brandon9000,
Hmm people may not know what to say, or may think it's not impressive enough. I dunno. Or they might simply forget to do so.

I just checked your profile -- I never had before, sorry. Where in FL are you now, if I may ask?

PS I put in what I do in my profile because it's questions that I seem to get over and over again.
djjd62

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:38 pm
@Brandon9000,
oh i forgot, canadian, 47, currently unemployed, douche bag extraordinaire (but only about politics and religion, other than that i might just be the best thing since sliced bread)
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:47 pm
@Brandon9000,
I can agree with your frustrations but to a slightly lesser extent. I tend to get information more from actually having an online friendship with certain persons online and can pick up details that the person has nonchalantly given off over the weeks and months of the relationship.

But a largely illustrative profile can elucidate the reader the owner's lesser known sensibilities and even sense of imagination or depiction of self worth.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:51 pm
What annoys me are those little cards inside magazines - you know, the subscription cards for the same magazine. And Mary Hart's too-white teeth.

Other than that, I like the anonyminity of the A2K posters.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:51 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Hmm people may not know what to say, or may think it's not impressive enough. I dunno. Or they might simply forget to do so.

I just checked your profile -- I never had before, sorry. Where in FL are you now, if I may ask?

PS I put in what I do in my profile because it's questions that I seem to get over and over again.

Tampa. I lived in Winter Park (Orlando) from 1982 to 1995, and have lived in Tampa ever since then.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:54 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Um? Jespah? What is it that you do again? And what is the origin of your username?

http://i50.tinypic.com/30vocj8.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:56 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

oh i forgot, canadian, 47, currently unemployed, douche bag extraordinaire (but only about politics and religion, other than that i might just be the best thing since sliced bread)

You forgotten the most important detail! What kind of sliced bread are you? Rye? Pumpernickel? Whole wheat? Wonderbread?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:57 pm
I disagree. The Internet is a place for thoughts and ideas. The physical body, or financial condition or amount of hair doesn't matter here. That's what I like about this place.

People don't really know the real you anywhere... the person your co-workers know is different then the person you spouse knows. And there are things your drinking buddies know about you that your spouse doesn't know anything about. In any environment, you only reveal the things that are relevant, why should the Internet be any different?

I could make up some stuff if that would make you feel better, being careful to make sure it is good enough that you won't know the difference.

djjd62

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:57 pm
actually my profile says a lot about me

What kinda guy am I really am?
I love some turkey, but I don't eat lamb.
No sweet potato, but I do like ham.

What kinda guy am I really I?
I kept my jacket, but I lost my tie.
I'll tell ya truly that I sometimes lie.
What kinda guy am I really I?

What kinda guy am I really who?
Don't wear pajamas and I don't sniff glue.
I'm Mississippi, got the New York blues.
What kinda guy am I really who?

What kinda guy am I really what?
I might be leavin', but the door ain't shut.
I'm here for lovin', but I ain't no slut.
What kinda guy am I really what?

I love some turkey, but I don't eat lamb.
No sweet potato, but I do like ham.

(i actually do eat lamb)

the song describes me pretty well, and it shows that i like music but not the kind of music you're gonna hear on the radio

i also like sweet potato, and i'm not from mississippi, but then i again i'll tell you truly that i sometimes lie
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:59 pm
@Brandon9000,
Question: what benefit do I gain by filling out my profile to a greater degree?

Cycloptichorn
ebrown p

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:01 pm
@ebrown p,
I run the mile in 4:43. (Is that an important detail?)
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Good question. The first thing that occurs to me is that I often want to have some idea of whom I'm talking to, so I provide that information for other's who may also want at least a few basic details. One might say that it's a courtesy to others who may want to have some idea of who they're talking to. On the issue of what do you lose, the answer is nothing, since the information can be very generic.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:04 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I run the mile in 4:43. (Is that an important detail?)

You can pretend you don't know what I mean if you like.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:06 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Good question. The first thing that occurs to me is that I often want to have some idea of whom I'm talking to, so I provide that information for other's who may also want at least a few basic details. One might say that it's a courtesy to others who may want to have some idea of who they're talking to. On the issue of what do you lose, the answer is nothing, since the information can be very generic.

None of that really answered the question... I suppose the answer is that I don't get any benefit out of it at all. So why bother?

Interestingly, I've never once, in years of coming here, looked at anyone's profile for more information about themselves.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:08 pm
@Brandon9000,
You know my on-line persona here. You certainly know my political views, and you know things that I care about. You have seen me give scientific opinions. I certainly know all of the relevant things about you to interact with you here.

I don't see how that other world we sometimes visit matters.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:08 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I disagree. The Internet is a place for thoughts and ideas. The physical body, or financial condition or amount of hair doesn't matter here.

You forgot to mention and/or realize that the internet has been a very visual medium for well over a decade. Whether you choose to post a fake self online that's up to you.

Quote:
In any environment, you only reveal the things that are relevant, why should the Internet be any different?

That's whats so great about the internet. You can choose to be as anonymous or as open as you want to be. Me? I happen to respect those individuals who are open and unafraid to be honest about their selfs and expect others to be the same. So whether the individual is honest in her or his daily postings or through the gate of her and/or his profile page, it's all the same to me.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:09 pm
I don't believe in filling out profiles on the Internet. If people can't just read my words and appreciate me, I don't see how looking up my profile can help.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:10 pm
@ebrown p,
I specifically don't put anything on my profile, for the same reason that I don't walk around with a sign around my neck listing my occupation, hometown and interests.

If people want to know things about me, why can't they just ask? Leads to better conversations that way.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies