7
   

Okay, you know what annoys me?

 
 
ebrown p
 
  0  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
You are making big assumptions about what it means to be "honest", and what "self" means. Even before the Internet, people were quite different at their jobs then they were at the bowling alley.

I would submit that you aren't completely "honest" with anybody.
Green Witch
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:12 pm
@Brandon9000,
I value my privacy and feel no reason to display the details on an internet site. If any long standing members here want to ask me questions about my real life they are welcome to PM me.
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:13 pm
I dont have a profile because I am not using a2k as a social networking site. I am here to talk about ideas, and the validity of an idea has nothing to do with who voices it. If you have an interesting point of view I will figure out a lot about you along the way because I will read much of what you write, even if I dont agree with a single thing that you say. This way is much more fun that reading your personality advert.
0 Replies
 
ebrown p
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:14 pm
@Green Witch,
And I am happy to know you as Green Witch... a fascinating person with interesting opinions and a keen mind. If I knew you as Cheryl in accounting, it would take something away from our interactions here.
tsarstepan
 
  2  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:15 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I would submit that you aren't completely "honest" with anybody.

Enough with the goofy Dr. Phil-esque pseudopsychology. A shrewd individual with any bit of online sense can figure after awhile when the person or people he or she is dealing with is telling the general truth about themselves and their world view or trying to live an indefinite masquerade online.
djjd62
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:16 pm
@ebrown p,
hmm, so GW is Cheryl in accounting, man she got so wasted at the christmas party last year
0 Replies
 
Brandon9000
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:20 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I value my privacy and feel no reason to display the details on an internet site. If any long standing members here want to ask me questions about my real life they are welcome to PM me.

So, you feel that "24 year old tax accountant from Denmark" compromises your privacy? That seems like paranoia.
ebrown p
 
  -2  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
A shrewd individual with any bit of online sense can figure after awhile when the person or people he or she is dealing with is telling the general truth about themselves and their world view or trying to live an indefinite masquerade online.


Bull.

0 Replies
 
Green Witch
 
  2  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:31 pm
Believe me, you do not want me doing any accounting. I totally suck at math.
djjd62
 
  4  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:31 pm
one thing i know, and without looking at a profile, ebrown knows everything (Rolling Eyes ), so he must be telling the truth
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:31 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
So, you feel that "24 year old tax accountant from Denmark" compromises your privacy? That seems like paranoia


you were not paying attention.....she said that there is no value in doing so.

Why job and nationality? Are you your job, is that a major part of your identity? Maybe a few generations ago this would have been normal, now it is strange. We change jobs and careers often now, and are not much loyal to either nor feel like our jobs define us AT ALL.

Nationality has more validity, but many of us are at a2k because we are trying to go outside of the confines of our nationality, our local culture. Defining ourselves by nationality runs counter to our purpose.
0 Replies
 
Green Witch
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:33 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Green Witch wrote:

I value my privacy and feel no reason to display the details on an internet site. If any long standing members here want to ask me questions about my real life they are welcome to PM me.

So, you feel that "24 year old tax accountant from Denmark" compromises your privacy? That seems like paranoia.


In my situation it might compromise my privacy. I do have a public life and I am well known in my community - and a bit beyond it's borders.
Brandon9000
 
  2  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:51 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Believe me, you do not want me doing any accounting. I totally suck at math.

No, it will be okay. I'll give you a little instruction first. My tax information won't be ready until next week, though.
0 Replies
 
Brandon9000
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:52 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Green Witch wrote:

I value my privacy and feel no reason to display the details on an internet site. If any long standing members here want to ask me questions about my real life they are welcome to PM me.

So, you feel that "24 year old tax accountant from Denmark" compromises your privacy? That seems like paranoia.


In my situation it might compromise my privacy. I do have a public life and I am well known in my community - and a bit beyond it's borders.

And what is the scenario where a few words of self-description on a2k harms you in your community?
dlowan
 
  4  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:06 pm
@Brandon9000,
I have been shat upon for things I have had in my profile...so I don't have one.

I don't give a damn what people choose to do. I also rarely look at profiles. It's fun when I do look, and find something really interesting, but I'm not going to get het up when there's nothing.

I also like silly ones.

I can't see why it's an issue...but so it goes.
Green Witch
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:14 pm
@Brandon9000,
It's not a matter of harm, it's a matter of privacy. By the way, the occupation I describe in my profile is very accurate.
0 Replies
 
ebrown p
 
  2  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:20 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
one thing i know, and without looking at a profile, ebrown knows everything (Rolling Eyes ), so he must be telling the truth


See what I mean.... outside of able2know I know nothing.
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  3  
Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:46 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I have been shat upon for things I have had in my profile...so I don't have one.

I don't give a damn what people choose to do. I also rarely look at profiles. It's fun when I do look, and find something really interesting, but I'm not going to get het up when there's nothing.

I also like silly ones.

I can't see why it's an issue...but so it goes.


May I add, that I really enjoy interacting with people who do not know if I am male or female, or what my age is. They'll find out if they read many of my posts, but part of the fun of the net for me is interacting without any preconceptions or cultural baggage.

sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 11:46 am
@dlowan,
Yes, me too. Goes both ways... I like interacting with people whose age + gender I don't know, too.

For me the big stumbling block re: profiles has always been the Deaf part. I don't hide it at all, and I don't mind if people know, but putting it front and center like that grates. I much prefer when people find out organically, after they've been talking to me for a while and have an idea of who I am without that filter.

And if I have personal info without that it feels dishonest (if only by omission). So I keep things neutral/ impersonal on my profile (though I do think the quotes I have -- so need updating -- give a flavor of who I am).
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

How to use the new able2know - Discussion by Craven de Kere
New A2K feature requests. - Discussion by DrewDad
I'm the developer - Discussion by Nick Ashley
JIM NABORS WAS GOY? - Question by farmerman
A2K censors tags? - Discussion by hingehead
New A2K Bugs - Discussion by sozobe
New A2K annoyances - Discussion by sozobe
The a2k world is changing 3: about voting - Discussion by Craven de Kere
LOST & MISPLACED A2K people. - Discussion by msolga
Welcome to the 'New' My Posts - Discussion by Nick Ashley
The "I get folksonomy" club - Discussion by Robert Gentel
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/27/2021 at 11:30:59