Why can't we click on the person's avatar to see where they're posting unless we're signed in?

aidan

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:45 am
This kind of upsets my browsing style and I wonder what made it necessary or desireable.

The way I post is that I read until I find something I want to post on. Usually in the mornings, which is when I post the most, I feel like doing an acronym. But the acronym thread heading is on the third or so page by then. But Dutchy is up and about on the first page doing word games, so I can click on his name and get straight to acronyms.
Not anymore...why?

I thought to myself, 'Maybe this is a way to entice people to set up friends to follow'...or something.
But I'm sort of philosophically against doing that. My mother taught me that it is rude and insensitive to extend friendship to some people and not to others. Sort of like if you have a birthday party during the school year you should invite everyone in the class.
I integrated that fully - I even taught my kids the same thing .
I also don't like to be called anyone's 'follower' - sounds too much like a cult or something.

I can adapt to almost anything - so it's not really a huge deal - I guess I'll just have to do a search for acronyms every morning now - but I was just wondering what the rationale for removing an alternative to adding friends is.

Also - why am I being followed by the hall of fame and what is the hall of fame?

Thanks in advance -

aidan

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:56 am
@aidan,
Duh - I guess the other alternative is to sign in before I start reading....but again....why make that necessary when it wasn't before? I'm just curious.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:57 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Duh - I guess the other alternative is to sign in before I start reading....but again....why make that necessary when it wasn't before? I'm just curious.

I'm surprised anyone who uses this site frequently wouldn't have it set up to automatically sign them in. Are you on your home computer? If so, I definitely would do this.

Cycloptichorn
aidan

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:59 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I am on my home computer - but believe it or not I don't know how to set it up to automatically sign myself in.

Mostly I'm just wondering about these changes....what has precipitated them?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:02 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I am on my home computer - but believe it or not I don't know how to set it up to automatically sign myself in.

Mostly I'm just wondering about these changes....what has precipitated them?

Dunno - there have been a lot of small changes recently.

To auto-sign in, when you are typing in your name and password, click the little box beneath that says 'remember me.' Then you'll sign in every time you come automatically.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:04 pm
@aidan,
I can follow posters without logging in (just logged out and tried it to be sure) I think the only things I can't do when I'm logged out are post and vote/rate.

Has someone cleared the cache in your computer, or something like that?
aidan

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 12:25 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't know. I was out of town for three weeks, so maybe my son or daughter did something I'm not aware of. When I'm not signed in, I noticed the names next to the avatar are in black and I can't click on them, and then when I do sign in they're in blue and I can click on them.

I'll ask them about clearing the cache though - thanks.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:41 pm
@ehBeth,
You will probably find that when you log out only the original post is in blue and you can click on it. All other posters will be in black. Doesn't matter whether you clear your cache or not.

When you log in you will see all names in blue.

Actually, you can reply to a post when you are not logged in, but it will ask for your login before you can post it. It saves it and posts as soon as you login.
Dutchy

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:43 pm
@aidan,
Hi aidan, seeing that you mention me, I'll put in my two bob's worth. Firstly I have NEVER come to terms with this site, it goes all over my head! I get by by being signed in automatically, use the headings "My Posts" and "New Topics". The 'hands', 'followers', 'hall of fame', 'my friends' I haven't got a clue about, but obviously you don't need it as I get by doing my little thing here. Must be doing something right, as I've got 145.000 posts on the clock. Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:44 pm
@aidan,
Ahh, I see what you mean.

That 'black-out' doesn't apply to the first poster in a thread, so I think I'd lucked out in who I've been clicking on to catch up with. If Dutchy is who you're trying to catch up with - and you don't want to "follow" the A2K way - you could make his "my topics" page a favourites in your browser - always start your day with Dutchy Very Happy
Izzie

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:45 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

...always start your day with Dutchy Very Happy

here here!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:52 pm
@Intrepid,
Yeah - I was thinking that because last night and this morning, I could read and click as normal, but then this afternoon something had changed, so I can't blame it on my kids and the cache. But my question is WHY? I liked it the old way.
I don't really see the need to be logged in unless I have something to say and I don't know if I'll have anything to say until I see what topics have been responded to and read and think a while.
This friends thing doesn't really work for me - I respond to topics moreso than I respond to particular people. If Dutchy is on true or false - I probably won't respond (unless I've had a few beers Laughing ) whereas I'll respond to anyone on acronyms or what are you listening to right now - etc. etc.

But I guess that's the answer - just log in at the beginning. But I'd still like to know what the rationale for these changes are. I hope this doesn't sound demanding - I'm just curious.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:02 pm
What you are noticing is more optimization of the site for search engines and guests in logged out mode. They have very different use patterns than regular users so we customize their experience differently. For example, they typically aren't interested in what post number a post is so that is one example of something you see logged in that they don't logged out that I recently changed.

We did a lot of things like this on the old software too, for example guests wouldn't even see avatars and the whole SEO mod I published for it pretty much revolves around doing this stuff and making the guest experience much simpler. So if you want all the features, just log in already. Guests will have an experience tailored towards the content (i.e. the topics and posts) and with fewer bells and whistles.
aidan

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Okay. Thanks. Can you also tell me what this hall of fame thing is?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:07 pm
@aidan,
It is an account similar to the one you have but it is named "The a2k Hall of Fame".

Anyway, I really don't want to spend all my free time answering a2k questions, so if there isn't anything important (as in urgent) I'm going to try avoiding doing so and building the expectation that I am here to answer questions about a2k.

So if you have bugs or something you need help with please contact the help desk and this kind of curiosity I'll just have to leave for others to volunteer to satisfy.
aidan

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 07:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
That's understandable - thanks for your time and effort- sincerely. But if anyone else can explain to me what this hall of fame thing is, I'd appreciate it. I find it more confusing now that I know it's an individual account like mine. Is there a poster called hall of fame? Or is it some sort of conglomeration of posters? I must have missed something that would have helped me understand the concept.
Dutchy

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:25 pm
@aidan,
Aidan familiarize yourself here about the Hall of Fame. Smile
http://able2know.org/topic/141334-1
0 Replies