I HAVE A TASTE FOR PIE

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 03:08 pm
bBB, and to compound the apple growers trubbles, when they try to sell their land they cannot , because the favorite pesticide in years past, for apples was Arsenic and lead sulphate. Consequently the land around the tree lines is often heavy with residual arsenical salts and these have to be cleaned up before anyone will look at the property, or close a deal.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:17 am
This Ain't No Pie In The Sky. Really
This Ain't No Pie In The Sky. Really

Democrat Dick Gephardt has a secret weapon in his campaign to push President Bush out of the White House: He bakes pies.

"I've the best chance to beat Bush," he tells us, "because he can't make pie at all."

In fact, if elected, Gephardt will introduce pies to state dinners. "We'll bring in a chef from Iowa," he says, "people who really know pie."

To Geppy, pies are serious stuff. A feature of his Web site is the "Iowa Pie Chart" listing the best pies in that state. And the campaign is about to launch a similar pie search in New Hampshire.

Why pie? "I grew up with it," he says. "My mom was a great cook, and it's the Midwest." Gephardt doesn't have a favorite but is particular about how his pie is served. "Warm is better, and a la mode is better still." To drink: coffee or milk, or even a beer, says the St. Louis lawmaker, whose district includes Anheuser-Busch's HQ. "Sometimes you can wash it down with a Budweiser."

The obsession of the Iowa caucus leader has kept some supporters baking late into the night to please him. "People," he says, "are bringing me homemade pies. It's as good as being president."
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:24 am
I found the Dick Gephardt Pie Chart
I found the Dick Gephardt Pie Chart

http://www.dickgephardt2004.com/plugin/template/gephardt/213/*
----------------------------------------------
Dick Gephardt's Favorite Recipe - Peach Pie
This recipe won 2nd place in a contest on ABCNews.com's "The Note."

PEACH PIE

Filling:
8-10 medium size peaches
1/2 cup sugar (depending on sweetness)
1 tblsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg or cinnamon (not both)
1 tbsp of apple brandy

Mix all ingredients in a big bowl.

Crust:
2 sticks butter cut into 1/4 inch squares
2 cups flour
2 tblsp sugar
1/4 cup of cold ice water (use more if needed)

Do not overhandle or the crust will not turn out flaky.

Roll out the dough, using half for the bottom crust and reserve half for the top crust. Add the filling to the bottom crust in a pie pan, then slice the remaining dough into 1/2 to 3/4 inch piecs and weave them together for a nice lattice top crust.

(Bakers tip: Use a pastry brush to apply a little fresh cream to the crust to keep it nice and brown.)

Sprinkle some sugar on top. Then bake at 350-degrees for 30 minutes or until crust is evenly browned.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:35 am
this is most cool BBB. Now the GOP is going on a campaign to show how pie is just another liberal trick on the American public.

Pie and a beer jEEZ thats almost gross.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:21 pm
Re: This Ain't No Pie In The Sky. Really
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
... Gephardt will introduce pies to state dinners. "We'll bring in a chef from Iowa," he says, "people who really know pie."

I can attest to this... my sainted mother, some of whose pie-making tricks were previously mentioned, was an Iowan girl.

And much as I like Gephardt, pie & beer... huh??? I don't think so!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 12:15 am
America's Pie Chart: What your says About You
If your favorite pie is this, you're:

APPLE: Wholesome and a big middle-of-the road, playing it safe.

BANANA CREAM: An overachiever who just wants to relax and not be in charge.

BLUEBERRY: Outdoorsy and determined.

CHERRY: Oversweet, in need of tartness and passion.

CHOCOLATE: Suave, seductive, strong, addictive.

COCONUT CREAM: Probably a man seeking an exotic-lite escape from reality.

LEMON: Bright, energetic and sharp-tounged.

MINCEMEAT: An Anglophile who watches Masterpiece Theater, listens to NPR and fantasizes about being in England, sipping port with pie.

PEACH: A sun-worshiper who's found sunshine on a pie plate.

PECAN: Simple in your tastes and seeking more sweetness in life.

PUMPKIN: Attached to your past but comfy in your present.

RHUBARB: Old-fashioned or a total hipster.

SWEET POTATO: Family-oriented, with a real sense of Southern hospitality.

---By Gale Gand
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 12:22 am
I just made a pie. It's tofu and chocolate in a graham cracker crust. There's no cholesterol and it's lowish (on the dessert scale) in fat. And, I'm not the only person who who thought it was great!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 09:28 am
Quality and diversity of apples in Britain threatened.

http://society.guardian.co.uk/societyguardian/story/0,7843,1092674,00.html

Piffka and maybe some others would like to read this I'm sure.

Save our apples!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 09:47 am
McTag -- You are right, it is just the kind of news I'm interested in. Thanks! Very Happy I particularly loved this quote:

Quote:
"Every apple tells a story, and it's a story about a place and its people."

<humming> Give me spots on my apples, but give me the birds and the bees. Please!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 07:26 pm
Interesting. I'm hoping to check out some more apple varieties while I'm in Ohio this weekend.

While I was visiting the hamburgers this weekend, mrs. hamburger had an apple that I HAD to try. She was very happy with her find. It was one of the biggest, juiciest, most flavourful Mutsus, ever! (and it was good)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 01:19 am
Just a passing thought, in this season of gustatory excess for some; can you help me with this conundrum:

How come you can get a vegetarian option in a meat restaurant, but you never see a meat option in a vegetarian restaurant?

McT, who is omnivorous
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 06:52 am
why would you go to a veggie restaurant? Its like a NO SMOKING section, I think they mean it.

Amybody making Mince Pies? Mrs F has a secret mince pie recipe. She goes and buys these little boxes of Nonesuch Mince meat and they make a great McMeat pie . This is the greatest flavor with rum ice cream.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 10:39 am
Apple Mincemeat Brown Betty
I thought this Brown Betty interesting and different from the traditional Brown Betty. --- and it has Farmerman's favorite ingredients: apples and mincemeat. BBB

APPLE MINCEMEAT BROWN BETTY
From Sheila Lukins "Celebrate" - Adapted by BumbleBeeBoogie

For the fruit:

2 Granny Smith apples
2 Macintosh apples
2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1 tablespoons kirsch (cherry brandy)
pinch of salt
1/2 cup commercial mincemeat

Preheat the oven at 375 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.

Peel and core the apples; cut them into 1-inch chunks and place them in a large bowl. Toss the apples with the sugar, kirsch, salt and mincemeat. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking pan.

For the topping:

2 slices day-old white bread, chopped into rough bread crumbs
1/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter

Place the bread crumbs, light brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and pecans in a bowl. Add the melted butter and mix in thoroughly with your fingertips. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apple mixture.

Bake until the top is browned and crunchy, about 40 to 45 minutes.

Sweetened Whipped Cream:

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Beat the cream in a large bowl with an electric mixture at medium speed until it becomes frothy. Add the sugar and vanilla; continue beating until the cream holds soft peaks. Do not over beat.

Refrigerate the cream, covered with plastic wrap, for no more than an hour is you are not using it immediately.

Serve the whipped cream over the warm Brown Betty.

Serves 8.

Per serving without sweetened whipped cream: 220 calories; 37 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 8 g fat; 10 mg cholesterol.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 10:44 am
sounds really good.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 01:07 pm
I'm no kind of cook, but my favorite from my childhood was the glazed berry pie; a half inch of custard on the bottom of the shell, topped by three quarters of an inch of glazed berries (any variety though my favorite was boysenberry), finally topped by meringue. Dang! Now I've gotten myself such a dessert craving that I have to dash out to the Stage Deli and get myself some cheese cake.
0 Replies