Which style of game do you prefer?

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:30 am
Being an old hand I prefer slow puzzle games over real-time strategy or RPGs, because any game that depends on split second decisions and lightning fast button control is over my head, hence I have never even tried 1st person shooters: I would get fragged before I even get started.

I like games with excellent graphics, so I quite appreciate the interactive "comic books" like Syberia and Amerzone, even though the story is very fixed.

I like RTS games like RON but as soon as the difficulty level rises above "easy" I have to screw down the game speed considerable in order to be able to do all the micromanagement required (the computer is much better at that than me because it doesn't have to scroll and click crisscrossing the map.

I also like thed graphics and the machine in Dungeon Siege, but the game got tiresome and repetitive in the end (some of the siegelet mods available on-line are actually better storyline-wise than the game itself).

Unfortunately, I do not have much time to play. I have been working my way through Tomb Raider The last Revelation for the past month (I am at level 14 now, so it will last me at least another month, good value for money :-) And falling down the same trap for the umptheenth time serves as a good deterrent to gamingaddiction Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:33 am
Paaskynen, i would recommend to you the German games 1602 and 1503, they are the products of Sunflowers and are maketed by EA Games (Entertainment Arts). They are cross between strategic games and Simcity. I think you would enjoy them.

I don't have the reflexes for first-person shooters either, but i still enjoy the RPG's. The two games i mentioned above move somewhat slowly, and, if you have done things well, there are times when you can get up and walk away, and leave the game running, to allow your resources and/or money accumulate, while you get a bite to eat, use the bathroom, etc.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:37 am
Setanta, have you ever played Civ 3? I suspect it might be up your alley.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 10:13 am
I've seen it, but haven't tried it, Boss. Could you compare it to MS Age of Empires?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 04:47 pm
Similar, but for reasons hard to explain, Civ 3 is the best of such simulation games for most who have played it.

It's outdated, but nobody has been able to beat it.

I bought the new Rise of Nations game, but Civ 3 is still the game to beat for me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 08:31 pm
I'll check it out . . .
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 08:38 pm
well, I still like Bust-A-Move 99 and all Tetrus games........but I'm stuck in a rut.

Looking back.......I see I already said this. But I've spent many an hour playing Zelda games of every variety.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 07:39 am
What are Zelda games?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 07:54 am
They are RPG's . . . and quite entertaining . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 07:07 pm
Ack - I have Myst and a recent Age of Empires - somewhere - mebbe I will get into them one day.....

I have a friend who loves Civilization - dunno if he has 3 - I should ask him, becasue if he doesn't, it would make a great birthday present... I know he loved the one he had.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 07:10 pm
I have the 2004 version of Microsoft Flight Simulator - it is fabulous, because it has huge numbers of the famous flights - like Kingsford Smith (a relly of mine) and Earhardt (sp???) and Lindbergh etc. It teaches you to fly - from a li'l Cessna up to a jumbo.

Sadly, my computer is not quite up to it, and it takes a huge amount of memory - prolly too much for the amount I use it - I am just not a games person, I think.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 07:11 pm
I do enjoy some of the arcade games...and the odd shoot 'em up spacy one.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 08:17 pm
Set,

RPG = what?

If Zelda is in that category, then I love them. I'm working on getting my game sets all hooked up and running here in New York......not there yet, but the handy man guy is working on it for me.

dlowan,

The Zelda games all involve solving mysteries in order to gain admittance to the places where you kill the bad guys and rescue the maiden and save the world. Link is the hero and he gets all the girls, after slaughtering the villains. It's great fun. But I have been known, in a pinch, when I couldn't discover the trick to move on to the next level, to consult some latency age boy who can tell me what to do next.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 08:21 pm
Hi Lola. RPG = "Role-Playing Game". From what I remember of the Zelda games, from the dark ages of the old Nintendo console, it's an RPG.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 08:24 pm
Thanaks Grand Duke..........I especially like the RPGs then.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 06:31 am
i love strategy or FPS
0 Replies

callaninja

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 07:53 pm
OLD SCHOOL!!
Oh i have cheap old school arcade games if anyone is interested.You can get them with or without an arcade cabinet.
all the pacmans,galada,marios etc.

if you're also interested we provide 1066 games in one system with heaps of the newer titles..all the metal slugs,aerofighters,KOFs etc

check it out if you want:

Edit (Moderator): URL removed
0 Replies