tsarstepan

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:04 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Actually, I'm astounded. This isn't a joke. This is actually stated in some post?

I knew of Craven way back in the Abuzz days and when I joined a2k, even I figured Robert and Craven were the same people. Must have been my spidey sense!
wandeljw

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:04 pm
@Brandon9000,
Some people may have seen the post where Robert Gentel recently told someone to stop calling him Craven because his real name is Robert Gentel.

Also, Craven DeKere is one of those joke names like Ben Dover.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:05 pm
@Brandon9000,
With the old search engines I might be able to find one of the many posts where RG discusses wanting to be himself and giving up the CDK login.

It was pretty funny at the time, watching people pick fights with RG not knowing that he was CDK reborn. Some kind soul or another would slip the unsuspecting poster a PM and they'd suddenly post a big, "OH.... I see, and thank you." post on the forum to RG.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:06 pm
@Region Philbis,
Reading through this thread, at least the first 5 or 6 pages of it, it is difficult to not get the impression that Robert has always been the owner/developer/programmer of A2K and shares the same history that Craven has with it:

http://able2know.org/topic/136098-1

Robert did explicitly explain in several early posts that he'd no longer be posting as Craven and why, but I can't seem to locate them and have wasted enough time trying.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:27 pm
@JPB,
...which I think, if I remember correctly, is part of what he was trying to get away from with the CdK username anyway, the whole I Am The Owner thing and the deference (on the one hand) and poking (on the other hand) that it engendered.

'Course, the Robert Gentel username now gets all the same stuff, comes with the territory (and he's recently made it clear again that it's not territory he enjoys).
JPB

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 04:30 pm
@sozobe,
I seem to recall having that battle with him myself, soz. Doesn't matter how many hats one has. The big one always shows through.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
By the way, are you someone else too? I never saw you post before a month ago, and now you're telling us you've been here since Abuzz.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:55 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

With the old search engines I might be able to find one of the many posts where RG discusses wanting to be himself and giving up the CDK login.

It was pretty funny at the time, watching people pick fights with RG not knowing that he was CDK reborn. Some kind soul or another would slip the unsuspecting poster a PM and they'd suddenly post a big, "OH.... I see, and thank you." post on the forum to RG.

Actually, I probably would have been more tolerant too, because I liked Craven.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:11 pm
@Brandon9000,
Great question. I sure as hell don't remember that user name on Abuzz
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:15 pm
who are you
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:17 pm
Brandon you're just not in the know, you're not A2K savvy; you're not A2K hip.
Figures, of course, you being a conservative and all.

Having said this, ARE YOU REALLY TRYING TO TELL US YOU DIDN'T KNOW ROBERT WAS CRAVEN?

JPB

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I do believe that was the point, Finn.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:32 pm
Hi, Brandon.
This post link is living proof (read down a bit) -

http://able2know.org/topic/141912-1#post-3909890
sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:43 pm
@Brandon9000,
Tsarstepan was on Abuzz (I kinda knew him but not well at the time), then when Abuzz folded went to another website that was run by an Abuzzer named Diva (if you remember her). He was there (and not here) for a while, then when that site folded wasn't really anywhere on the Abuzzish radar (that I knew of). He was good friends with Diva in real life and when she died recently, came here to talk to others who had known her. Then stuck around (and very glad he did).
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

...Having said this, ARE YOU REALLY TRYING TO TELL US YOU DIDN'T KNOW ROBERT WAS CRAVEN?

I've asked the same question here several times now and no one has answered it. If it's so obvious, find me a post that states it. I've read a thousand posts in the past year and not one has alluded to this in any way.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:55 pm
@sozobe,
I alllllllllmost remember Tsar from Abuzz. I wasn't there all that long myself, being a latecomer, a true newbie - my first effort at any kind of site where people 'talked' - and then being punted out for months and whining myself silly, to, among others, Jespah. Many people told me, via email, to clean my cache to get back in, but I couldn't seem to. I remember craven on abuzz. He probably told me to clean my cache... or my dash.

I remember knowing some people called craven robert fairly early on a2k, but thought it was private to them, and then understood when later on he moved away from the name.

I'm not surprised Brandon wouldn't know - not everyone reads at all times with avidity.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:00 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Hi, Brandon.
This post link is living proof (read down a bit) -

http://able2know.org/topic/141912-1#post-3909890

Sorry, I don't see any statement that Robert is Craven there.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:22 pm
@Brandon9000,
I guess not.
Are you going to work up a conspiracy?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:25 pm
@Brandon9000,
My first direct inkling was CdK's professional poker thread

http://able2know.org/topic/91037-17

It's a long thread but around about page 17 CdK comes in as RG.

I don't recall a grand announcement beforehand, just some posts showing up as RG and those who knew him from before knew, those who didn't figured it out over time... even now, it seems.

Yes, there are specific posts where Rob discusses shedding CdK. The current search options aren't great in getting back to those posts. There are a couple other threads that are coming to mind where he talked about it but they aren't easily found now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:30 pm
@Brandon9000,
The tsar was a sort of big man on campus when I first joined Abuzz.

He was very kind to newbies like me.