roger

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:33 pm
@ehBeth,
I swear I don't recall the name, and I know springbloominbeth was there before I.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:34 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

The tsar was a sort of big man on campus when I first joined Abuzz.

He was very kind to newbies like me.

Okay, so he isn't an old member with a changed name.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:43 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
it certainly wasn't mentioned in any of the thousands of posts that I've read?

I think part of the problem (if it's a problem, why would it be a problem?) is that there have probably been hundreds of thousands of posts to read in the time you've read thousands. Seriously. There is so much going on here, that if you don't make a career out of reading (like joeblow does Mr. Green ) instead of posting, you could easily miss the handful of specific comments about Robert and Craven being the same person.

People who were members of one of the MSN forums that sort of co-existed with Abuzz/A2k were probably somewhat more likely to know before Craven "became" Robert.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:48 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
it certainly wasn't mentioned in any of the thousands of posts that I've read?

I think part of the problem (if it's a problem, why would it be a problem?) is that there have probably been hundreds of thousands of posts to read in the time you've read thousands. Seriously. There is so much going on here, that if you don't make a career out of reading (like joeblow does Mr. Green ) instead of posting, you could easily miss the handful of specific comments about Robert and Craven being the same person.

People who were members of one of the MSN forums that sort of co-existed with Abuzz/A2k were probably somewhat more likely to know before Craven "became" Robert.

There seems to be a lot that I don't know about this place.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 07:55 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon, this is a big forum with lots of nooks and crannies (or more properly - niches) that most of us never get around to.

There probably isn't a single human (including Robert and Jespah) who knows every single thing that goes on here.

I know that on a couple of occasions when I've met joeblow in real life, she's amazed me with the things that she's told me about what's going on at A2K. I waste waaaaaaaay too much time here, and I sure can't keep up with it all. Take a few days/weeks/months away, and you can really lose the plot.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 08:27 pm
@ehBeth,
He's ancient royalty. He was on Abuzz before it was even called Abuzz, and when it was operated out of some obscure city in New England.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:05 pm
@Brandon9000,
Try this one.
http://able2know.org/topic/123679-1#post-3429572

McTag sniffed him out right away. I was pondering it after Robert kindly responded to something I wrote, "...I don't believe I wrote anything idiotic... ... anywho..." when Tico sent me a heads up. (just like JPB described Razz)
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:20 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Try this one.
http://able2know.org/topic/123679-1#post-3429572

McTag sniffed him out right away. I was pondering it after Robert kindly responded to something I wrote, "...I don't believe I wrote anything idiotic... ... anywho..." when Tico sent me a heads up. (just like JPB described Razz)

That's it. Thanks, Bill.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:32 pm
I always notice that since I think of it as 'anyhoo'.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:09 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

...Having said this, ARE YOU REALLY TRYING TO TELL US YOU DIDN'T KNOW ROBERT WAS CRAVEN?

I've asked the same question here several times now and no one has answered it. If it's so obvious, find me a post that states it. I've read a thousand posts in the past year and not one has alluded to this in any way.

Considering that almost everyone who has responded knows Robert was Craven, there must be a source of the common knowledge.
engineer

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:13 pm
@Brandon9000,
If it's any consolation, I didn't know the two were one and the same either.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, there were lots and lots of posts about it, over a long time (plus just the "anywho"-type voice stuff -- it's pretty distinctive...)

However I think that part of it has to do with what forum you tend to hang out in -- something that I think Finn, Brandon, and Cycloptichorn (and engineer?) have in common is that they tend to hang out in Politics a lot. So it may be that much of this (the many posts indicating that Craven and Robert were one and the same) occurred in the more general topics.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 01:05 pm
@Brandon9000,
Yeah. Initially I just wanted to use my own name (not some nickname I picked as a teen) and more argumentative youthful personality that I started with and wanted to just post as a regular user and for that reason I didn't initially go out of my way to make the connection. I wasn't hiding it either, most of my friends here know my name and knew right away. I just wanted not to get stuff like being asked about the site no matter where I am posting and it was working fine for a while. I was going to use CkD for site stuff and use a2k as Robert.

But then after the site change I got lazy once and neglected to log out and all for a site message so I just kept going from there. The cat was out of the bag and I'd already ruined that account's separation of worlds.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 03:41 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Yeah. Initially I just wanted to use my own name (not some nickname I picked as a teen) and more argumentative youthful personality that I started with and wanted to just post as a regular user and for that reason I didn't initially go out of my way to make the connection. I wasn't hiding it either, most of my friends here know my name and knew right away. I just wanted not to get stuff like being asked about the site no matter where I am posting and it was working fine for a while. I was going to use CkD for site stuff and use a2k as Robert.

But then after the site change I got lazy once and neglected to log out and all for a site message so I just kept going from there. The cat was out of the bag and I'd already ruined that account's separation of worlds.

Craven, I had no idea, and I won't use that name anymore, since you are obviously trying to get away from it. I wondered what had happened to you. I thought you had just lost interest, or moved on to other things. My understanding of the origins and nature of a2k are sketchy at best. The Internet is a crazy place with people changing avatars and all. I have even known people on boards to pose as a relative informing the community that the first avatar has died, and then become a member as the grieving relative to bask in all the sympathy.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 08:10 pm
@sozobe,
Dear Soz - I hang out, predominantly, in the Politics forum, but I knew Robert was Craven.
0 Replies