Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:18 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
George Washington Carver.

God bless that man and his many uses of the peanut
Ionus

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:18 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you for the explanation. It is something I have wondered about ever since I heard of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich as a kid. We used to call Peanut Butter Peanut Paste, but lost out due to the sheer volume of American movies compared to the home industry.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:24 pm
@Seed,
Yes, and it was a great help to impoverished share-croppers, black and white.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:28 pm
Any thoughts on the jars that contain both peanut butter and jelly in the same jar? People say they like and it saves them time... I think it's an abomination!
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:44 pm
@Seed,
Carver had nothing to do with peanut butter. The Incas invented the stuff and , in the 19th century, it was introduced by a physician (unbeknownst to CArver) at the Chicago Exposition.
Julia Chandler supposedly introduced the concept of the PBJ sandwich in a cookbook in the early 1900's and then, thanks to the cheapening cost of making the stuff based on an industrial peanut smasher introduced by the Gamble Brothers (Procter and Gamble fame) and Gustav Papendick, who invented sliced bread, the PBJ achieved major diet status in the early 1920's.
The original PB sammich was with watercress. Try that sometime. If you have a clean creek nerby, go pick some watercress and make a toast sammich with PB and cress. (maybe even a real thin slice of onion R-E-A-L thin so onion doesnt take over the flavor(or else use a Walla Walla or some other dessert onion)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:47 pm
Carver, however, promoted the cultivation of the peanut as an alternative to cotton, which had exhausted the soil of the mid-South.

So, i still blame George Washington Carver.
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 05:02 pm
@Setanta,
Actually Carver found that peanut cultivation could restore the fertlity of soil that had been exhauasted by cotton. His overall discoveries with the peanut were more related to the chemistry of the peanut and included industrial chemical uses besides simple food transformations. To even associate him with PBJ sammiches is like saying that Charles Darwin had something to do with raising bulldogs.

Carver was much gretaer than the PBJ and Im here to try to reinstate this great mans reputation from "folk legend" to major chemical and agricultural scientist.
jespah

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 05:29 pm
@Seed,
A total abomination -- those jars do neither well.

Oh and Set's right -- I'm the only broccoli person here. Never thought of onion; cress is interesting, too. Hmmm.
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 06:13 pm
@jespah,
Oh, youll love a watercress and PB sammich. It has a real peppery Peenutty flavor. After all, cress is just brocolli with a bite.
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 06:14 pm
@farmerman,
Who gives a rat's ass?

I blame George Washington Carver.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:08 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:11 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

Any thoughts on the jars that contain both peanut butter and jelly in the same jar? People say they like and it saves them time... I think it's an abomination!

The worst of both worlds combined!
jespah

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 08:33 am
@tsarstepan,
This morning (as an accompaniment to a bowl of Cheerios with some serious banana action), I am having chunky PB plus blackberry jam plus slices of Granny Smith apple. The broccoli sprouts, unfortunately, went bad, hence the alternative. And it is good. Smile
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 08:43 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

belichick is a crunchy man...

Now THAT'S the response I was waiting for.
Note that in constructing the BBPBJ, one spreads PB on BOTH slices first.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 08:53 am
I've eaten more peanut butter in the past three days than the previous three months combined. ah, the power of suggestion...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:05 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
then you mix that with peanut butter

mix it? noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!

layer it - or put it on opposite pieces of bread

mix

<thud>
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:29 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Setanta wrote:

The final way is to make a juice or a syrup of the fruit and make it into a gelatin with pectin, without pieces of the fruit in it, and Americans call that jelly.

then you mix that with peanut butter, add broccoli (apparently) and what? spread it on bread?

???? ....and i thought crunchy haggis was silly.

I'll stick to vegemite thanks

We also eat preserves here in the United States. See one of my past postings in this same thread.
http://able2know.org/topic/141954-2#post-3911493

Jelly is for children and suckers.

Broccoli sprouts on PB&J sandwiches are an extremist fad. Though a healthy one at that.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:39 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Broccoli sprouts on PB&J sandwiches are an extremist fad.

I think after 35 years it can't be considered a fad anymore. Everyone wearing earth shoes was growing broccoli sprouts in the mid-1970's. And growing trees from avocado pits. Everybody.

(I made decent beer money keeping those avocado trees alive for profs who were on sabbatical)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:02 am
peanut butter and Vegemite on "man sized" saladas.

Now theres a meal