Smooth or crunchy?

Eorl

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:56 pm
I would have said "crunchy" but is moot since all peanut products have been exorcised from my house in the wake of Christmas Day's Great Anaphylactic Discovery.

Vegemite though, we all love that of course. Just had a vegemite sandwich myself, and a honey one too. Boring but quick to make in the morning getting ready for work.

I have to confess, if we weren't fed vegemite as baby's, I can't imagine facing it as an adult for the first time.
Seed

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 09:59 pm
@Eorl,
a proper horror movie could be made about that stuff. Shocked
Eorl

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:06 pm
@Seed,
It can make you spell babies "baby's" if you eat too much of it.
Seed

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 10:07 pm
@Eorl,
oh the HORROR
Eorl

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:37 am
@Seed,
aww come on, it's just a sticky pungent salty black yeast extract that we feed our children.

hmmm. Actually you may have a point...

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:59 am
Quote:
Smooth or crunchy?

Vegemite? is there a crunchy version?
Eorl

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 01:17 am
@dadpad,
Only if you found it in a barrel in Snowtown.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 01:58 am
What about crunchy or smooth hagis ??
dadpad

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:14 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Now, thats just silly!
sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:19 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

I would have said "crunchy" but is moot since all peanut products have been exorcised from my house in the wake of Christmas Day's Great Anaphylactic Discovery.

Yikes! Everyone OK? That sounds, er, stressful.
jespah

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:22 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:
I would have said "crunchy" but is moot since all peanut products have been exorcised from my house in the wake of Christmas Day's Great Anaphylactic Discovery....

I was kinda wondering when that would come up. Sorry 'bout that.

Also love the fact that one of this topic's tags is now vegemite.

PS Had a crunchy PBJ avec broccoli sprouts this AM, on toasted oat bran something or other high fiber bread. I am now able to face a day of job searching and other assorted difficult stuff.
George

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:30 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

. . . PS Had a crunchy PBJ avec broccoli sprouts this AM, on toasted oat bran
something or other high fiber bread. I am now able to face a day of job
searching and other assorted difficult stuff.

Knock'em dead.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:34 am
Would someone of the American persuasion please explain the jelly part of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich ? Is the jelly the same as you would have for desert or different ? Dont make me come over there ......
jespah

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:41 am
@Ionus,
Looks like this:
http://onlinestore.smucker.com/images/catalog/prodimages/Uncommon285.jpg

It's spreadable.
Ionus

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:02 am
@jespah,
Sorry, I am not sure what that is..is it a desert type of jelly or a jam...????
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:06 am
@dadpad,
Moi :
Quote:

Dadpad:
Quote:
Now, thats just silly!

If no-one is eating the stuff, how do we know if it is crunchy or smooth ? Anyone had hagis and lived ? Tell the truth now, I will know if you are dead...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:18 am
Geeze . . . somebody needs to enlighten this cultural misunderstanding here. What other English speakers may call "jelly" is referred to in the United States as gelatin, or by the trade name "Jello." There are three ways that fruit is perserved in the United States. One is to make a compote of the fruit, and add pectin to preserve it, and that is usually referred to as preserves. Another way is to make a fruit compote in a gelatin form with pieces of the fruit in the gelatin, use pectin to preserve it, and that is usually referred to as jam. The final way is to make a juice or a syrup of the fruit and make it into a gelatin with pectin, without pieces of the fruit in it, and Americans call that jelly.
Izzie

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:24 am
@Setanta,
http://www.foodsofallnations.com/e-commerce%20products/large%20images/Bovrillg.jpg

on toast

(no no no.... not marmite - blech, bleugh, ack.... BOVRIL)

No Sunday morning is complete without it! Wink
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:25 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The final way is to make a juice or a syrup of the fruit and make it into a gelatin with pectin, without pieces of the fruit in it, and Americans call that jelly.

then you mix that with peanut butter, add broccoli (apparently) and what? spread it on bread?

???? ....and i thought crunchy haggis was silly.

I'll stick to vegemite thanks
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 09:40 am
@dadpad,
No, the broccoli is a personal preference of Jespah. The sammich only requires peanut butter and jelly (or jam, or preserves--i'd say most people actually use jam or preserves, although Concord grape jelly is very popular). It is a classic food given to children by a mother or father who finds it to be quick and easy. The standard method is to spread peanut butter on one slice of bread, put jelly, jam or preservers on the other, and slap 'em together to form a sammich.

Personally, i blame George Washington Carver.