Celebrity Cruise Lines

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 04:08 pm
Just completed a twelve night Celebrity Cruise to South America. The only good thing about the cruise was our waiter from Bosnia. All the other issues on Celebrity is "lousy" and "cheap." The Cruise Director, Chris Moody was a pompous ass, and ignored my question completely! Although they had internet computers on the ship, I couldn't access it, because Guest Relations was too lazy to correct the problem on my defective guest card. I went up to Guest Relations three times, and they kept telling me to go back to retry without success. I later found out from other passengers, that they had to reissue our guest card for it to work on their computers. Another ripoff was their "optional land tours." They charged $79 for a tour that anybody could get on shore for $39. The $68 they charged for the "Buenos Aires Highlights" tour that was supposed to last for six hours actually lasted less than three hours, because we spent over two-and-a-half hours for lunch, and our tour started late! If you plan to cruise, I would suggest you pick any other cruise line, but don't use Celebrity Cruises! I heard more complaints from other travelers on this cruise than the other seven cruises I have taken. Don't say you were not fore-warned. Twisted Evil c.i.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,408 • Replies: 12
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 04:19 pm
Good info for future reference, c.i. Have you considered a separate topic where we could all post recommendations and disrecommendations within the travel forum? As a featured interaction in Travel, I mean.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 04:23 pm
C.I. -A couple of years ago, I took a Caribbean cruise on the Celebrity lines. The ship was practically brand new. The TV in the rooms did not work until the last day of the trip. I kept asking questions, and they kept saying that they were "working on it".

You are definitely right about the side trips. We did not go to any of them, because they were a rip off.

The entertainment left something to be desired. I had gone on a smaller, much less luxurious ship the year before, and the shows were much better.

Otherwise, the cruise was pretty good!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 04:41 pm
roger, Good idea! Will add soon on "Travel: The good and the bad." c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 04:46 pm
Phoenix, As a matter of fact, the Zenith is ten years old, but the air conditioning stinks! Most of us froze our buns, because the air conditioning could not be controlled with the termostats in our staterooms. I had to ask for extra blankets, but it was never delivered. I used the bedspread as an extra blanket! In the southern longitudes, the weather was "very cold," and the air conditioning was on full blast. When some of us asked about turning down the air conditioner, they turned off the whole thing. You know what happened when we got further north? It got extremely hot, and we had no air conditioner. There were just too many bad things happening on that ship to list. As I'm reminded, as you did by your post, I'll expand on the other problems on our Celebrity cruise. c.i.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 05:29 pm
LOL Phoenix. Otherwise, the cruise was pretty good. Meaning the boat didn't sink?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:04 pm
Roger- Seems like it! Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:17 pm
When you get it set up c.i., here's a starter gleaned from WSJ 11/26/02.

CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 08:29 pm
c.i.- Found this:

Link to Cruise Ship Reviews

Don't know if this is very authoritative, but you WILL get a chance to vent your spleen!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:14 pm
In 1972 I travled from Yokohama, Japan, to San Francisco via the USS Wilson, American President Lines. After about a day at sea I found I was spending some time in the bathroom and went to see the ships doctor. He explained that the ships water had different bacteria in it than I was used to and gave me a couple pills and said it would go away, and it did. Bacteria is mostly good for us there are only three or four bad types. We could not live in this world without bacteria.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 10:22 am
roger, Good link. The Zenith got a 92 out of an acceptable rating of 85. I still drank bottled on board, and paid the $3.50 per bottle at meals. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and blow over $3,000 for the cost of this cruise. It doesn't pay to penny-pinch in some situations, and I felt this was one of them. Otherwise, I drank beer and some vodka martinis. Oh yah, also some whisky sours at the Captain's cocktail party. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 11:19 am
c.i.- Vodka martinis. That'll cure what ails ya! Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 01:07 pm
Phoenix, The vodka martini costs a little over $6 a shot. The bottle of wine costs anywheres from $26 to over $100. I paid for several bottles costing $29 and over plus 15% gratuity - automatically added on by Celebrity Cruise Line. c.i.
0 Replies