Covers that are better than the original

plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:33 am
Normally, you can not call the performance of a traditional tune a cover.
Rapalje, a Neo-Celtic Band from the Netherlands (there are Neo-Celtic bands all over Europe but the Netherlands seems to be a hotbed of another Celtic Revival), is a favorite of mine. These guys are great musicians and, as people, seem to be ready to do almost anything on stage or at a festival.

I like them so much that my daughter . . . equally their fan . . . thought I was bordering on stalking them!

Anyway, this is their cover of the heavy metal gamer song, The Crown and the Ring, by Manowar. Rapalje does it as a ballad and pairs it the ubiquitous Morrison's Jig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myeh8sgZgp8&feature=PlayList&p=9AB7EDEC3C1753C3&playnext_from=PL

An aside: last summer, when I was so broke it was pathetic, I told a musician friend (who is quite a wag) that I decided my life needed a total change. I was going to get several tattoos and become a Manowar groupie at their Magic Circle Festival. Without batting an eyelash, he said, "I'm glad you came up with that, because I was going to suggest it to you today."

It is great to have friends you can make off-beat suggestions to while talking about music.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:35 am
@plainoldme,
While I'm promoting Rapalje, here is their cover of Andy M. Stewart's The Queen of Argyll. Alright, these guys do not have Stewart's velvet baritone and, in its day, Silly Wizard was as vigorous as Rapalje is now, but it is still a great cover!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEQ_glAuUhA&feature=PlayList&p=9AB7EDEC3C1753C3&playnext_from=PL
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:15 am
@boomerang,
Leon Russell gave one of the best performances I have ever seen at Johnny D's, a small music club in Somerville, MA, a few years back.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:19 am
I hope I haven't posted this here, but the Irish group the Corrs covers Hendrix very well and I've noticed that men enjoy these sisters.

Listen to how she says, "Little Wing," in her intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5rVgxmekeM&feature=PlayList&p=DFA7C6E39A5FB857&playnext_from=PL&index=3&playnext=4
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2010 09:18 pm
Jazz contralto Diana Krull could probably sing your address and make it sound wonderful. here she does Cry Me a River;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9y1vGxPVAA&feature=PlayList&p=DFA7C6E39A5FB857&playnext_from=PL&index=33&playnext=32
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 08:01 pm
@plainoldme,
very true

wandeljw

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 12:59 pm
Bonnie Raitt did a cover of Del Shannon's Runaway.

RStella

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:50 am
I think pretty much every Bob Dylan cover ever has been better than the original - the man had amazing talent when it came to composing, but his voice sucked. I love Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Guns n' Roses.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:57 am
@panzade,
Ah, yes, Arthur Brown. He must have been on a permanent high. Great set of pipes but an awkward dancer. Basically, a fun entertainer.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:58 am
@wandeljw,
So true! She gave the song an urgency Shannon couldn't.
panzade

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:06 am
@wandeljw,
...And James Taylor did a cover of Del Shannon who did a cover of Jimmy Jones

0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:15 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mUmdR69nbM
This Mortal Coil - Tim Buckley's "Song to the Siren"
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:33 am
@plainoldme,
Sometimes the song remembers when.
I was in the throes of my first teenage crush when Del Shannon put out Runaway. The hysterical vocal and cheesy Farfisa organ resonated in my yearning heart.
eoe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:00 am
@RStella,
Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Randy Crawford takes it to church!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 08:39 pm
@panzade,
I never had an association of a loved or lusted after one with music, which is probably a good thing.
eoe

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:23 pm
@plainoldme,
really???
there are songs that I couldn't listen to for years, years, after the breakup. High school/college era mostly.
panzade

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:00 am
@eoe,
That would make a great thread eoe
The Soundtrack Of My Heartbreak
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 08:38 pm
OK, I may have already posted one of these but I haven't logged into youtube for two months and these renditions are absolutely fabu. Heard the original star of Jesus Christ Superstar and was not impressed.

I can never make up my mind about which of these two I like better. The singers are so different, Steve is young enough to be Colm's son, etc. They bring so much of their own selves to this piece:

and

0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 01:13 pm
The American television series "Glee" has won acclaim for its covers of popular songs.

Back in 2004, BBC produced a musical comedy serial called "Blackpool" that also did covers of pop songs.

Here is the BBC show's version of Thelma Houston's "Don't Leave Me This Way":

plainoldme

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 06:46 pm
@wandeljw,
I wasn't certain who was supposed to marry the bride and who was the guy giving her away. Could not help but notice David Tennant who was the worst Hamlet I have ever seen!

That is a great song, however!