Why Would Benicio Del Toro And Anthony Hopkins...

Pitter

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:52 am
...make such an awful rehash of the wolfman theme? Are both actors really short on acting jobs? The constant background music was way over done, the lighting was awful, the wolf looked like an old gorilla costume, there was no suspense and everything was predictable. It´s really a shame that so much talent was wasted on such a boring effort.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 1,904 • Replies: 23

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:01 am
Uhm . . . because they got paid lots and lots of money?

That's my guess. Besides, the actors cannot necessarily see those things from their side of the camera. Even if they realize its a bomb, they've signed a contract.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:09 am
Don't know much about Del Toro. I think that Hopkins has passed his peak, and is happy to get any job that will help him maintain his lifestyle.

If you check out actors, you will find that many fine actors accepted parts in lousy movies in their later years.
djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:13 am
@Phoenix32890,
listening to michael madsen on a talk show a few years ago, and he was completely unapologetic about some of the bad films he's done, he admitted to making films to pay the mortgage, pay tax bills, any number of monetary reasons
Lash

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:19 am
Benicio is one of my favorite actors, and I think Hopkins is brilliant. I have to go witht the general consensus that neither man is finding good roles at this point in their careers. Benicio has had to settle for smaller, supporting roles, and likely jumped (in a wooly suit, no less) to headline. There IS a contingent who LOVE these dark, supernatural type stories...(OK ME)... This might be a bid to snag the older Twilight girls...so, maybe both men are gambling that this might have some huge box office post-Twilight gravitas, and prop up flagging careers.

(grin) I can't WAIT to see it.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:41 am
@Lash,
I love werewolves. They are my favorite. You can keep yer pussy vampires and dunderpated zombies. Gimme a good werewolf movie and Im entertained.

EVEN A MAN WHO"S PURE AT HEART
AND SAYS HIS PRAYERS AT NIGHT
WILL TURN TO A WOLF
WHEN THE WOLFBANE BLOOMS
AND THE MOON IS SHINIMNG BRIGHT.

Something like that. Lon Chaney wasnt my favorite , he came across too much like a doofus with a mullet and a bad beard.

0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:09 am
@djjd62,
There is a huge difference between Michael Madsons motives for working and Anthony Hopkins, Madson can't act for toffee and so he does what he can to pay his bills.

I don't see that Hopkins has any need to accept bad parts
djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:14 am
@lovejoy,
well i guess that's your opinion, i wasn't really commenting on anyones acting ability, just commenting on why folks work

same for all of us, lots of folks do jobs that stink because they have to eat
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:14 am
Just remembered, even the great actor Al Pacino once said he made the giant turkey 1776 because his bank account wasn't looking too good Confused
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:46 am
@Pitter,
After careful consideration and knowing exactly how well the movie would be made, they must have both just decided to make a bad film.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:56 am
Another reason for doing this film: These kind of movies, both good and bad, are watched countless times by aficionados for generations. To a certain audience they never get too old or stale to enjoy.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:55 am
I remember reading an interview with Humphrey Bogart many years ago. Asked about what advice he'd give to Hollywood newcomers, he said the best advice he could give was, never turn down the offer of a role. In the long run, he said, an actor has absolutely no control over how good or how bad a movie will turn out. What looks great on paper could turn into a dog and vice versa. Just accept the role to keep yourself in the public's eye.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 11:54 am
@lovejoy,
Quote:
I don't see that Hopkins has any need to accept bad parts
what part of the phrase "show business" do you have difficulty comprehending?
rosborne979

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:04 pm
By the way, I saw the movie, and it's pretty boring. Even good actors couldn't seem to save it. I'm disappointed, it could have been so much better.

lovejoy

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:23 pm
@farmerman,
No part, but If I had a reputation like say Jack Nicholson I wouldn't sully it by making werewolf pics, this theme had been flogged to death back in Lon Chaney's day, still each to their own.
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:25 am
@lovejoy,
Was this post a failed attempt at ironic humor, or were you unaware of Nicholson's participation in the biggest wolf man turkey ever filmed?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:05 am
@lovejoy,
http://www.darkecho.com/darkecho/images/wolfjack.jpg
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:12 am
@rosborne979,
I liked it; it was understated, but entertaining.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:30 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I liked it; it was understated, but entertaining.

Fair enough. I didn't think it was terrible by any means. Just wasn't quite what I was looking for. I thought the set pieces were great, had a nice gothic look to it. Not enough suspense for me though, not moody enough. Could have used more time spent in the creepy moors with the wolf lurking around in the fog.
maporsche

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:41 am
@rosborne979,
I agree; it could have surely been better.

But I see between 5-8 movies a month, this one was much more entertaining than at least 60% of what I see on a regular basis.

If I was an infrequent movie watcher, and I was really excited for this movie, then I may have been more disapointed.