Haven't been followin'. Is it really happenin'?

JTT

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 09:26 pm
Quote:
Them there I's
February 11, 2010 @ 3:14 pm ยท Filed by Mark Liberman under Language and politics

It's no longer just imperial pontificators like George F. Will and Stanley Fish. The Obama-is-a-narcissist-and-his-use-of-I-proves-it meme has spread like kudzu, wrapping itself around the brainstem of every Fox News sub-editor and provincial pundit in the land. You couldn't kill it with a blowtorch.

Fox News, specifically, has decided to count first-person pronouns in every speech Obama gives. Thus "The I's Have It: Obama Hits 34 I's in Washington D.C.", FOXNews.com, 2/7/2010:

Much attention has been given to President Obama's persistent use of "I" when giving speeches to sell his administration's agenda. Is he taking responsibility " or, as his critics say, is he still in campaign mode? FoxNews.com is tracking the president's speeches all this month and will report back after each to see whether The "I's" Have It.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2113#more-2113
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 883 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 03:46 pm
I would prefer if Presidents and all other politicians spoke in the third person. Speeches would then sound like a story being read to me. Background music, during a speech, could be Peter and the Wolf, that would add to the suspense.

In my opinion, overuse of the word "I" does take away from one's appearance of humility. However, the third person makes me feel that the speaker has a very specific idea as to who he or she is. [Foofie said.]

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 03:58 pm
@JTT,
Fox News have jumped the gun. Using "I" is addictive and they would have been better letting Mr Obama get more free with it and saved their fire until the opportune time. Those on his own side probably wouldn't dare to point out this very human failing.

Now Fox have pointed it out I daresay Mr Obama will have his telepromter adjusted. Gradually of course as it would look like Fox was driving his engine if he suddenly ceased after they had drawn his attention to it.

In mid 2012 they could have produced an "I"--frequency chart which they could have made to look like it was influenced by the phases of the moon or anything that happens between now and then which can be made to both fit and be derogatory to Mr Obama.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:07 pm
Ghouls. Can't they let the man just eat his damn waffle?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:25 pm
I say, that I wouldn't give a **** if I never heard anything fox news ever reported, ever again

that's what I say

and I mean it

I do

I really do
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:35 pm
Fox News would probably be much happier if Obama started saying "we" instead of "I". Then they could shout their inane "elitism" mantra with some justification.
djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:48 pm
@Merry Andrew,
since he's so obviously a godless commie, why doesn't he say comrade
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:11 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
Fox News would probably be much happier if Obama started saying "we" instead of "I".

But that would worry his closest confidants, who are riding the tiger, in case things don't turn out quite as they probably hope. It would be contrary to the "buck stops here" principle.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:31 pm
For god's sakes don't anyone do anything silly like go to the link and read the whole article.
djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:00 pm
@JTT,
what makes you think we didn't
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:03 pm
If I was president I would use "I" in my speeches as often as I could so I could clarify that I was the boss.
djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:04 pm
@spendius,
exactly
0 Replies