[answered]Changing the Time on A2K

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:30 am
timber- Not your fault. All's well that ends well! Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 04:26 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Butrflynet- Thanks again for your help. But there is something that is very strange. Why doesn't the sig line show up on my post with the kiss? It seems to be on the others!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/able2know/phoenix.gif

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Monger- I never changed the signature option.

Yes you did. You deleted your signature alltogether. When you posted that post you did not have a signature so the forum didn't attach it. Like Mo0nger said, there is no "swallow a sigtnature" bug. I get almost 30 big reports every day that are the product of the user's actions and imagination. This is another example, you deleted your signature. You DID change it and the forum software is behaving exactly as it should.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Have any of you heard of the C.O.I.K. fallacy?

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~aarche1/Oral.html

Yes, and as I said I started out with this problem knowing LESS than you did. The details were known only to you. I had to figure them out myself. Has ANY of the details been provided to me, I would ahve answered it in ten seconds instead of looking for database corruption and all kinds of things.

Let me explain why this is so frustrating:

You said that "It" goes back to the old time. Well like I said, "It" (being the time) is displayed in 3 different places. One is at the footer of each page. When you submit your profile it shows a confirmation message, the others who said that initially it didn't seem like the time had changed was because the confirmation page does not display changes. Try it, change your forum theme to the green one, the confirmation page does not display the change.

Since your first post I knew there was no bug and that you were misunderstanding something, you gave me no details so I kept guessing at what you were interpreting as the problem.

I came up with almost a hundred possible ways you could ahve been truppin' and noted the most likely ones, e.g. that you were seen the time unchanged on the confirmation page and then were pressing the back button and loading the profile form from cache.

I also said that it was unlikley that you were submitting the form. Turns out this was partly true. Now you claim the error is unclear. Well when you are submitting a form, if you EVER press submit and get back to the same form with an error message it's a safe bet that your form was not submitted.

99% of the time this is the case. A successful submission shows a confirmation, if you get sent back to the form with an error message in bold letters at the top of the page go ahead and assume you have omething wrong with the form.

This has really irritated me, time and time again I and others are telling you that your difficulty is your creation and time and time again you seek to find the solution elsewhere.

I told you the forum was working fine, you did not believe me and insisted that it was broken. Monger told you that your signature was simply turned off in your post. You claim you made no change. I have taken a screenshot to prove what Monger has already told you. I have also explained exactly what change you made that caused it. Despite your claim that you made no change you did. It was a change elsewhre that you dismissed as unrelated but it was that very change that did it.

And now, the error message is somehow unclear (read, blame the site for you not getting it) while the error message works as an internet standard.

This is very frustrating, it's bad enough that people imagine bugs and then don;t listen to the answer, it's bad enough that they do not pay attention to error messages, it's bad enough that all problems they create themselves are blamed on the "mysterious" software.

But when people are telling you exactly what's wrong and you dismiss them and continue to think it's just mysterious then there's no way to help.

Every single problem on this thread you craeted for yourself. People kept telling you what was wrong and you preferred to insist that the site was broken. From the very beginning I understood that this was a mythical bug, I was trying to help you through your misunderstanding. But the tendency to blame everything but yourself for technical problems was the sole impediment. This is damn frustrating. It's not easy to troublehsoot across miles of distance and if you make no effort to solve the problem how can we help? If I flat out tell you that there is no bug and you insist there is what's the point of helping? If you don't believe me why ask me?

If you want someone miles away to help you with a problem you need to help them help you. ESPECIALLY when they are telling you that the bug is in your head and they are trying to help you figure out where the misunderstanding has occured.

If the bugs are in your head the problem is not the site. And like I said, over 90% of the bugs reported to me are imaginary. So don't blame the software first, blame the person in front of the computer.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 04:49 pm
This is a digression.
I have added a music file link to my signature. If you have a QuickTime player on your OS, you can listen to a MIDI version of the tune.
0 Replies