[answered]Changing the Time on A2K

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:16 pm
lol, I already know what it is, and it's giving you an error message at the top of the damn page every time. Your signature is too long (limit has been changed) and your profile is not being submitted.

Like I said, normal forum behavior, and the forum is telling you in bold letters what is wrong and there is no bug. To make any changes to your profile you will have to reduce the signature length, like the error message states that is the thing that is keeping your profile from being updated.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:55 pm
In your first sentence you ask what you were doing wrong, let me answer that:

A) you assumed that the forum software was broken, even after I told you it was not. Most "bugs" are not really bugs at all.

B) You ask "what did I do wrong?" without telling what it was you did at all. You leave it up to our guesses and there can be thousands of guesses.

C) You do not report the error message. The message was telling you that your signature is too long. If that had been reported the answer would have come immediately because the error message was saying exactly what is wrong.

D) You are too vague, "it" just goes back to../ Well what's "it"? The time selected in teh profile? The time reported on the page footer? The time next to the posts? They are all different, each opens up hundreds of possibilities.

So basically what I'm saying is that this type of question really frustrates me. I am given no information that i can use to help. I say that there is not a bug because I know that there is not a bug, this is not believed and the insistence that it's not working when it's the user ignoreing the error messages makes for an unsolvable situation.

I gave the most likely guesses but then gave up, you are asking us how to fix a bug that doesn;t exist or to tell you what you are doing wrong but making sure to exclude any details about what you were doing.

I know computers are often treated like majocal things but they are not. This would be like going to a marriage counselor and saying "it's not working, what did I do wrong?" and expecting a meaningful answer.

I don't mean to rant but it's absolutely impossible to solve some problems in the way they are asked. This was an imagined problem, I said as much earlier. The forum was working exactly as it was intended to work and was even trying to tell you what was wrong.

The only thing I did differently was read. I tried to submit your profile and saw the error message. I used no superior knowledge whatsoever. And that's frustrating. As soon as I read your first post I knew for a fact that there was nothign wrong with the server side code. I know the code well and there is no point of failure like you descrive. I knew it was a misunderstanding on your end. I tried to tell you but you ignored it and inisted that it needed "fixing".

In short that was what you did wrong. And don't sweat it, because it's common for people to blame their misunderstandings on the software and demand that it be "fixed". Over 90% of the "bugs" reported to me fall into this category. I don't mind that at all but if you chose not to believe me when I'm telling you that the bug doesn't exist I really can't help. I can't kill imaginary dragons.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:07 pm
Craven..
This may be a digression, but how many characters do you count in Phoenix's signature?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:19 pm
Dunno, lots of it is hidden in BB code.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:26 pm
Seems not very different from mine.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:27 pm
Add 5 links to yours, 3 colors, 5 underline tags and THEN it won't be much different.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:34 pm
Phoenix32890.. Be sure the number of characters of your signature (including BB codes) does not exceed 250.

Craven.. Let it be explicit that the limit of character number is BB codes inclusive.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:41 pm
Well that might change soon, either BB code won't count towards the limit or it wlll be disabled in the signatures altogether.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:58 pm
Whatever works out best for coding and operation, but my preference would be for the code to not count against the character limit. I can live with it either way, though.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 08:12 pm
Yeah, ultimately that is the goal. The signature limit is only really intended for displayed text. The removal of BB Code possibilities in signatures would be because of another unrelated reason (spammers) and is the less likely of the two.

I've been testing the signature options but they are a ways off right now.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 08:43 pm
No problem ... with the "Report" feature, I can drop "Contact Moderator" and do some other triming to get it down to size. I may fiddle with my sig a bit.

(edit to add: Hmmm ... that's odd ... the edited version meets the character limit, but appears to have several empty lines beneath the text and code. I don't seem able to get rid of them. No biggie ... just odd.)

(And edited again to add: Embarrassed OOPS Exclamation Shoulda realized it was that browser window Embarrassed ... closing it and opening a new one onto a2k has fixed the "problem" ... which turns out to have been user brainfade ... the old 1D10T syndrome Mr. Green ... sorry!)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 05:17 am
satt_focusable- Whenever I attempted to change the time I would get this message:

Quote:
Hamster 56543 reports - Your signature is too long.

Since you mentioned it, I attempted to compact my sig., (as well as change the time, AGAIN). Guess what? Still can't change the time OR the length of my signature!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 05:35 am
P.S. I deleted my cache, and then attempted to add a test sentence to my member description...............That did not work either. The hell with it. I am not wasting any more of my time on this! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 05:39 am
Phoenix32890..
Deleting some links would help.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 05:49 am
Quote:
5 links, 3 colors, 5 underline tags is the problem

Quote:
Phoenix32890.. Be sure the number of characters of your signature (including BB codes) does not exceed 250.

That information from a previous post in the thread is the answer to the problem. Take a look at how Timber has his links set up now in this message for an example of the difference.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=416900#416900
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 05:51 am
To easily confirm that it is indeed the length of your signature, you could always copy and paste it to Notepad temporarily, delete it and then change the time and save your profile changes.

If it still doesn't save properly then there is another problem. If it does save properly, that confirms the problem being the length of the signature and codes and you can do a process of elimination of codes and links until it saves properly.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 05:54 am
Adding a test sentence to your member description is avoiding the problem in your signature line. The error message is not going to go away until the signature line problem is resolved. No matter what else you do to your profile, the signature line problem will continue to block the updating of your profile. That's why you continue to get the error message stating that is the problem.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 05:57 am
satt_focusable & Butrflynet
- Finally- When I deleted the sig line, everything worked! Thank you so much!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDdAkMVMfiVvoz57m!OWOmh0ITjJBtF!OCsV4XkfDEcGtWaHOhllwujIPOfumetGJ7xmvMeZLcF!1oGwrlCdkJIhQaF2fsOP3q5waXmED4/Kiss.gif?dc=4675444658433754847

[kiss put back in]
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:11 am
Phoenix32890..
You may choose a single link at a time as the signature. And you can change it regulary.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:14 am
A2K FAQ A2K Help Terms

Here's what Timber is using I believe. To see the code, use the Quote button and then copy and paste all the code except for the quote code into your signature line.
0 Replies