[answered]Changing the Time on A2K

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:16 am
Satt,

She needs to use the links to the A2K help thingies and has to type the code in manually for the links and colors. What I gave her in the previous post should work.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:26 am
Butrflynet- Thanks again for your help. But there is something that is very strange. Why doesn't the sig line show up on my post with the kiss? It seems to be on the others!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:28 am
No idea. You could try editing that post, deleting the image and then redo it and save and see if it refreshes with the new signature line.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:32 am
Btw, congrats on the successful change of your signature line! http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/aktion/action-smiley-033.gif
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:32 am
Butrflynet- Strange- I even deleted the cache before and after I edited and refreshed. Still no sig line on that one. I am not going to worry about it though!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:33 am
Now, the big question.... did the time change in your profile also get updated and saved?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:34 am
YES!!!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:37 am
Hoooray!

I checked the source code in that kiss post and don't see anything wrong with the code to my untrained eyes.

Very odd about that other post up there. Well, that will give Craven something to do. Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:49 am
Did your life change change much, Phoenix, being the only person 1 hour behind the others and for such a long time? :wink:
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:55 am
Phoenix, don't fret over the kiss and the signature line. I think that is one problem that Craven will have to deal with or explain. It doesn't appear to be anything we can fix with the tools available to us. I even closed the browser window and reopened a new one and it didn't change.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 07:13 am
I understand Craven's frustration regarding people not reading the information provided to them on the screen. There is nothing here Craven needs to deal with Butrflynet, the tools are certainly available to turn signatures on and off. What happened is that Phoenix either temporarily disabled the 'Always attach my signature' option in her profile, or unchecked the 'Attach signature' checkbox for that particular post (the option is always available from the Post Reply page). It was done unintentionally it seems, but there's nothing strange about it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 07:27 am
You're right. You're so much better at it then I am. I'll leave it to you next time. Smile Thanks for the explanation.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 07:39 am
Sorry if I came across a bit strong...I deal with computer problems a lot IRL so maybe I'm just having a bad day today Wink By the way, I've seen heaps of great answers from you about technical questions
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 07:56 am
I'm familiar with the frustration in the tech support job. I used to work an IT help desk for the company I worked for years ago before the pace of changes in the technology outgrew my ability to keep up adequately.

One of the biggest problems I notice with tech support is the techs expecting all users to have the same level of computer savvy without realizing that a lot of users really don't understand computers at all. They get by with just doing things by rote, one step at a time, and get totally flustered if something in one of those steps changes.

The change in signature length and new error message was an unexpected deviation from the routine so she wasn't looking for it. Reading the error message on the screen would not of helped her since the problem with her signature wasn't the text length, it was all the BB code included in the count. She was unfamiliar with what to do to fix it and needed extra help beyond telling her to read what the error message said.

To be honest, I experienced the same problem and momentary frustration a few days ago when trying to update something in my profile until I noticed the new error message.

It might be helpful if a forum announcement was made to alert people to the change in signature length and to inform them that the BB code is counted as part of the character length.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:08 am
Quote:
Did your life change change much, Phoenix, being the only person 1 hour behind the others and for such a long time?

Walter- Yup. Once, many years ago, I was in a Mexican border town. For some unfathonable reason, I did not have a watch with me. The time in Mexico was one hour different than the time in Texas. I needed Mexican time, as I had an appointment there. When I approached people for the time, seeing that I was an American, they would give me Texas time. I nearly went bananas!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:13 am
Monger- I never changed the signature option.

I was away for a number of weeks. I had never heard that the allowable length of the signature had been shortened. I DID get the message, when I attempted to change my profile, that my signature was too long, but never related it as to why the time was not changing! It would have been helpful if the message had said something like, "Your signature is too long. You will not be able to change your profile until it is modified"!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:18 am
Have any of you heard of the C.O.I.K. fallacy?

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~aarche1/Oral.html
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:22 am
Yep, love that one. We used to demonstrate it in our tech support training classes by having them instruct each other on how to crack an egg or tie a bow in shoe laces using only words and no gestures. Their partner was not allowed to do anything but what they were verbally instructed to do and could not make assumptions or second guesses.

It was quite an eye opening teaching exercise.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:35 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I never changed the signature option.
Monger wrote:
It was done unintentionally it seems, but there's nothing strange about it.
There is no signature swallowing bug in the code. Wink

"Clear Only If Known" works both ways. It's very difficult to help someone when you can only guess what their problem is. It doesn't require any technical knowledge to avoid being vague.

..But I'll stop my ranting now.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:27 am
Sorry, Phoenix ... I shoulda PM'd the edited sigline code to you ... my bad. The length limit used to be 550 characters, I believe, into which the old sigline just fit. The new limit is 250 Characters, into which the now-edited sigline just fits. Oh, well ... you got it figured out.
0 Replies