How do I fix my a2k interface?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I don't see any benefit for the way I use A2K in any of "popularity" metrics, other than the global tags. They must be of use to someone, or you wouldn't have considered adding them.

For the way I use the site, the popular/my friends/my posts and unanswered tabs could disappear and not be missed.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I just made a tweak to the top replies box. The idea is that it can be a quick way to see the top replies in a big thread, but showing top 10 out of the first 10 posts is obviously not very useful.

So right now I have tweaked it to default to topic stats until the thread is more than one page, at which point a top replies review becomes more useful.

Tweak well perfected! Thank you Robert for listening to our reasonable requests.

Now how about that winning lottery number generator?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:16 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

On the my tags, I can also see the usefulness for others, so.. I wish having that could be a choice.

Robert, to amend this, since I get that you want people to "own their tags", I guess I wish that I could diminish the view of mine on my own New Posts page, not so much that others can't see it. I'd rather have more room for global..
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:18 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll second the global tags request!

Thread global, tag locally? No. Thread local, tag globally? I guess I can't make a pithy global tag quip here.... Neutral
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
Although.. I finally noticed and clicked on Popular. It's not i] that[/i] hard to find the search, much as I'd like it on New Posts.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:52 pm
We will make global tags more accessible (just in case the support for that is thought to be necessary to convince us), but it represents work and time so it will come when such resources are available.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Took this tweak even further. Now in addition to the page threshold there is a minimum vote threshold. No point in showing a bunch of 1 and 2 vote "top replies" either so the list will vary up to ten based on what posts meet that criteria (right now it's 3 and I made it a setting variable in the code so that we can easily tweak it up to make it useful). The tabs also don't default to top replies unless the same criteria for display isn't at least met once.

So while I know that this is not exactly what you wanted this should make it more useful for others by not highlighting any posts until there is more of a reason (as measured by votes) to do so and should make that top replies box much smaller (or entirely gone) on most threads.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 10:25 pm
@Robert Gentel,
And here's an example of why I think this tweak helps:

http://able2know.org/topic/141366-1

On first glance, it immediately highlights the most important post in the thread. Before the tweak it would have always appeared, been seen as clutter and mostly not relevant and when it appeared it would show a full 10 posts (and that's a great example of a thread where highlighting ten posts reduces the value of highlighting.

As it stands right now I like it, and if anything I think it should just have the threshold tweaked up (right now it's 3) to highlight less often and thereby be even more useful.

Any feedback on the threshold*?

*The vote total that a post should have before the top replies box is triggered to highlight it.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:12 am
@Robert Gentel,
I've run into what looks like a glitch in "following"

I've just tried to follow a couple of people - and it seems to toggle the ignore/unignore function.

1. went to profile
2. looked at options - follow and ignore show
3. clicked on follow
4. ignore flipped to unignore (which suggests to me I've now got them on ignore)
5. clicked on follow again - unignore went back to ignore

(I'm going to send a link to this note to "contact us" - I'm posting it in case anyone following along has run into the same thing)
sozobe

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:25 am
@ehBeth,
Just tried that, no problems here. (Follow and ignore are both options, when I click "follow" it changed to "stop following," no change in the "ignore" option.)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:29 am
@ehBeth,
Please make sure to include browser and if you can even the particular user (in case this is a data corruption issue) and also please check this behavior again to see if you can replicate it (because we might have problems being able to and we often need to replicate a bug to fix it).
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:43 am
@Robert Gentel,
I'm going to try this again at home, as I was able to add someone there.

It could be the goofy version of IE they have here in the kingdom.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:49 am
@ehBeth,
Which version of that is it? 6?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It is IE6, but it seems to have some kind of proprietory changes in it.
Goofy thing.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:15 pm
@ehBeth,
I sometimes get on from my buddy's place, and he has IE6.

It is not verra a2k friendly.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:18 pm
@Rockhead,
IE6 isn't internet-friendly, it's nearly a decade old. Microsoft itself is cutting off support for it soon, and Google is no longer supporting it on many of its sites either.

But we still want to support it as well as we can and limit it's quirks to it's many display bugs instead of features working differently. I'll have to fire up a computer with IE6 and test.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:21 pm
The removal of the 'search tags' box on the right side of the screen has made it much more difficult to find threads that I've read but not commented on.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Did you just use the search box or are you also talking about the global tag list as well?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Did you just use the search box or are you also talking about the global tag list as well?

I like the global tag list better - I don't need to see my own tags on a regular basis, and I could always just click on my profile for that info. But the search box worked really really well and was key to my finding threads to put new info into.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Gotcha, I think making tags prominent in important to making them useful (their organizational capability is so much more useful when they are immediately accessible) but I also see lots of value to making the global ones as accessible as possible as well.

I'll try to find a way to do both cleanly, I was asking you about the search because if that is all you are missing putting that back on the grid is relatively easy to do cleanly, but if you also want the list I need to figure out the interface first.