How do I fix my a2k interface?

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I would definitely be happy if the tag search box was back on the new posts page. I've been trying to use the google custom search as a stopgap, but it pulls up all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff I'm not after.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Gotcha, I think making tags prominent in important to making them useful (their organizational capability is so much more useful when they are immediately accessible) but I also see lots of value to making the global ones as accessible as possible as well.

I'll try to find a way to do both cleanly, I was asking you about the search because if that is all you are missing putting that back on the grid is relatively easy to do cleanly, but if you also want the list I need to figure out the interface first.

The list isn't as big a deal - I never found it to be that useful. Only searched for individual threads.

Like others here I think I tend to remember the names of threads that I've posted on or tagged, but have a harder time finding threads that I know exist but never did anything on...

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 01:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
And it also makes for more "ownership" of one's activity here. If the tags are just going on someone else's thread then it is easier to use ugly ones as graffiti. When they are going to be on your own grids as well then any impoliteness is going to be on your own "property" on able2know as well and I hope it will reduce (not stop, I don't expect that) use of tags that way.

funnily (?), the graffiti tags (my own and others) have proven to be most useful when I'm searching for threads - I remember them, and they tend to pull up fewer threads than "politics"
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 01:40 pm
@ehBeth,
More specific can help as a filter, but there are obviously a lot of different ways that one could go more specific. On the other hand, I'm not sure if there are as memorable.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 03:59 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
It is IE6, but it seems to have some kind of proprietory changes in it.
Goofy thing.

We found and fixed it, it was a default IE6 goofy thing (as opposed to one of your company's proprietary ones) where it posts all button values to a form, even for the buttons you don't click.

That is a very hard type of bug to spot (most IE6 issues are visual in nature), and it's was a particularly ugly bug. Thanks for the heads up!
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 06:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks!

~~~

I just checked at home where we use Firefox and everything is happy-dappy here.

The work system has been giving us fits lately, so I am honestly ready to blame it for EVERYTHING. It's suspicious of our own company's links. Goofy thing.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:27 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks RG for bringing back the search tag button!

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:49 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Eh? I didn't address that yet. I think you might have just noticed it on the popular grid or something (which is a place I'd left it). Next week I'll start working on a new tag sidebar that can incorporate both individual and global tags.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:55 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Eh? I didn't address that yet. I think you might have just noticed it on the popular grid or something (which is a place I'd left it). Next week I'll start working on a new tag sidebar that can incorporate both individual and global tags.

Haha, you're right! It's on the 'popular' screen, which I didn't even realize I had clicked on.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:00 am
@Cycloptichorn,
That's good to know actually, as a way to find it if we need it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:36 am
@Robert Gentel,
On a separate note, is there code for dropping movies from Flickr into A2K?

I want to update my climbing diary with some sweet vids...

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:46 am
@Robert Gentel,
Hooray, it works here (I haven't added anyone - just clicked/clicked to see what would happen).

Thanks!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:54 am
@Cycloptichorn,
It can probably be done with flash tags but I couldn't tell you without seeing how they do their videos (I don't have videos on flickr myself).
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:58 am
@Robert Gentel,
I'm not quite good enough to tell exactly how they do their vids, but this might help - it's their embedded code instructions:

This seems to work but screws up the page.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
This seems to work but screws up the page.

Because of that I fixed it for you (and need to fix the code that lets it screw up the page).

Here's what I did. Let's start with your code.

Quote:
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="300" data="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> <param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=0799859678&photo_id=4364043901&flickr_show_info_box=true"></param> <param name="movie" value="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377"></param> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=0799859678&photo_id=4364043901&flickr_show_info_box=true" height="300" width="400"></embed></object>

Step one is to look for "src" and grab that value. So in this case it is:

http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377

Sometimes that is all it takes, and all the necessary variables are passed to it right there so I load that up as a url in my browser and if I can see what I want to see then it works. If not, it may need more variables passed to it. And they are usually in "flashvars" (flash variables I think that means). Anyway, so here I copy out those variables too:

Code:intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=0799859678&photo_id=4364043901&flickr_show_info_box=true

I probably only need the photo variables but I just append them all. Query string variables start with a question mark and each additional variable uses an ampersand. So when I combine the src url with the flashvars I get:

http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377&intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=0799859678&photo_id=4364043901&flickr_show_info_box=true

That url works in my browser to show the video in full-screen flash, so it will almost always work in flash tags.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:11 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Word! Playing with it.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
0 Replies