University - Taking a Year Off.

Quincy

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:32 am
Hello everyone.

I haven't used this forum in ages :p, but I have a large decision to make about my university career and my life, and I'm trying to get advice from as many people as possible. Any responses are very welcome.

I am a mathematics undergraduate in South Africa. I have done three years of my undergrad, and I am thinking of taking a year off before I complete my final fourth-year of undergrad (this is possible in South Africa). I have already been accepted for my 4th-year studies, and have registered (the fourth year is separate in my country-- long story...), but it is still the first week of the first semester, and I have time to de-register without penalty. I have also been awarded a bursary by an outside party for this 4th year which covers all my fees, textbook costs, etc., and I don't have to re-pay it or do anything else in return.

That last sentence sounds great, doesn't it? Then why would I want to take a year off? Well, here comes a long story. All I want to do is study mathematics, and do as well at it as I can. To be frank, I have learnt very little mathematics from my first three years at university. The mathematics department is bad at my university. How do I know? I have compared myself to students from American universities and European universities, and I find I am far, far behind. I have been to a few lectures this year, and I am completely over-whelmed at the material they expect us to know. I know this sounds crazy: that they would expect us to know things they haven't taught us-- another long story, and this post will be voluminous enough without it, so please forgive me for leaving it out.

So I plan to take this year off, and complete my 4th year next year. I plan to work, and in my free time study mathematics on my own, to try built a good foundation for my final year. I have decided I must work, because I can't sit at home doing nothing but studying; that would be unfair on my parents, who have paid for my education thus far (beside raising me as well). But taking a year off is a big decision. I will have to re-apply to the university, and I will forfeit my bursary. I do not come from a wealthy family, the bursary was very helpful. Having just said that, I know I sound like I am whining. Things look great for this year: a bursary covering all my university expenses! Man-up and complete this last year! Let me try to explain.

Mathematics is the only thing I love. I want to make a success of it. I would like to get a PhD eventually. I'd like to do my Masters and PhD overseas, if possible, since my university's mathematics department is weak. If I can do well in my last year I have a better chance in succeeding in mathematics, whatever university I end up at. I really, really want to do well in this 4th year, and judging by how the year has started, I cannot see that happening. I am completely lost. I can't sleep. During my year off I will study mathematics in preparation of this last year, to try to do well.

This is not a rash decision: I have been thinking about this for three or four months now. I spoke to the convenor of mathematics, but he did not have much to say to me. He gave me the standard responses: If you're hesitant, I urge you to not take the year off, etc. When I asked him why, he shrugged and couldn't say. There is a curriculum advisor, but I do not want to speak to him. I have been to him before for advice, and all he did was surreptitiously insult me. I have only told my sister, and she doesn't have any advice for me. I haven't consulted my parents yet. I don't know who to ask for advice.

But taking a year off before the final year is not un-common. One or two people do it each year. I plan to work for two reasons: to pay rent to my father for staying at his house; and to save towards my university fees, in case I do not get a bursary for 2011. We are not a rich family. I know I seem very selfish, turning down this bursary; I could be making a wretched mistake. The convenor says he sees no reason why I won't be re-admitted if I take a year off. It's far from certain that I will be awarded another bursary if I take the year off. If I don't take the year off, and plough ahead with my last year, it is quite likely I will do poorly, and will not be accepted to post-graduate studies. I will have to work find work with only an undergraduate degree. I think I would be quite miserable if that were to happen.

Anything you have to say is very much appreciated Very Happy.

jespah

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:35 am
Find out if you can keep your scholarship (that's what we call a bursary here in the US) if you take the year off. It never, ever hurts to ask, even if the rules say otherwise.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:49 am
Well, we distinguish between bursaries and scholarships: a scholarship is awarded by the university, a bursary is awarded by a third party.

And no, I will forfeit the bursary. I will not automatically be given a bursary for 2011 if I take this year off. I will have to re-apply for a bursary.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:04 am
@Quincy,
I tried the same thing, stop my education, get a job and go back refreshed with some money but when I went back one year later, my attitude had changed. I tried to get re-interested but it was way too boring so I joined the army.

Many years later I finished my education by doing Science and Engineering. Nevertheless, I have oil painting (a source of pleasure now I am too beaten up to work) and english from my first effort and it did help me get a job as an English, Maths, Science and Engineering subjects lecturer to undergraduates.

It didnt work for me, but that is not you. I think you have decided but confidence is failing you. Are you worried you wont go back ?
Quincy

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:45 am
@Ionus,
I do not think I will lose interest in studying mathematics. I would very much like to take a year off, but like I said, it's very selfish of me to turn down this bursary when I know my parents need it. Here's what I am afraid of:

- I will not be able to find a job. The world economy is unhelathy and jobs are scarce. All I have is three years as a math major. I don't think the prospects are too good for me. And if I can't get a job, this will really be a disasterous year: I will have turned down a bursary we really need, and my parents will have to support me while I am at home and not working.

- I find a job, but it is too demanding and I have very little time to study mathematics. The point of the year is to study mathematics to prepare me for my fourth year. This would also be a very bad outcome.

- I am not awarded a bursary or scholarship when I return to complete my studies. I have a bursary for this year, and I am very greatful for it. I would basically be throwing away a years worth of tuition of my parents money if I took a year off and was not awarded any financial aid when I returned. This is terrifying, because my family really needs the busary money.

Those are the main reason why I am worried about taking a year off.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 10:04 am
Hello,
you have answered your own question

Quote:
I am not awarded a bursary or scholarship when I return to complete my studies. I have a bursary for this year, and I am very greatful for it. I would basically be throwing away a years worth of tuition of my parents money if I took a year off and was not awarded any financial aid when I returned. This is terrifying, because my family really needs the busary money.

Take a year off when you're finished with your education. Whatever you're
lacking in knowledge for your fourth year, you can gain with tutors, extra home studies and summer courses. Don't take a year off now!
Quincy

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 10:21 am
@CalamityJane,
Weeeell. Mathematics is cumulative. These are the prerequisites I do not know. So there are these various topics which I should know and am expected to know, but which I do not. The mathematics I will learn in this 4th year will build on the math I should know, but don't. I might be able to pass, but it seems very unlikely I will do well. Then I won't be able to do graduate studies. This seems to me a very bad outcome too. The work-load in the senior year is massive -- one professor said we learn more in this one year than we did in the first three combined -- so trying to learn the prerequisites on my own at the same time as doing my 4th year will probably not be possible.

Well, let's say I do pass. I probably won't do well. But mathematics is my passion. If I take the year off to work and to revise math, it is much more likely I will do well in my senior year, and consequently much more likely I will go on to a PhD programme. And that's my ultimate goal, that's what I want most in life: to get my PhD in mathematics.
sullyfish6

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 01:43 pm
Sorry - but this edu-interruptus just doesn't work.

If you feel that you aren't prepared for that final year, then talk to the profs and explain why. Perhaps some tutoring will help. Do your classmates feel the same?

You need that piece of paper and in this world economy, the sooner the better.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 01:53 pm
@Quincy,
I have mixed feelings, Quincy - I see your and others' points very well on both sides of the issue.
In a way, I wish I had taken a year off at university myself. I was paying my own way working (full time work or close to it being a no-no back then, for good reasons), but lived at home, though I rarely ate there, being at either school or work or on the bus.
In a way, I'm wondering if you're panicking about the difficulty of the year ahead in school. But I figure you know what you are talking about here. Could you talk with any graduates of the department to see if they have advice? Can you check work possibilities, probably quietly, for a year off? When do you have to decide by? What are the possibilities of a scholarship (as opposed to a bursary) if you don't get a bursary upon return?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 02:07 pm
@ossobuco,
I suppose if I had to vote I'd say stay with it, but I see the problem. There is also the matter of talking with your parents..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 03:09 pm
@Quincy,
If we're voting, I would say you should stay with it and don't lose momentum. If three years doesn't prepare you for year four, how have those same three years prepared your peers.

I'm projecting a bit, but it would be very hard for me to get back into the program after a one year break. Anyway, just what kind of job do you think you will be finding with no degree, and facing employers who just might want someone who will stay with them for longer than one year.
Ionus

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 04:57 pm
@Quincy,
Perhaps A tutoring job at Uni whilst you complete your degree ? This will increase your level of knowledge of the Maths you have done so far and enable you to continue your studies. Surely someone in the Maths department can help...if you are as keen as you say, you will be helped by your fellow mathematicians. I have known several brilliant mathematicians and they were very nice people who could be quite "generous" to those having some difficulty. Not surprisingly, the least qualified were the most demanding on their students, so pick the right person to approach.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:01 pm
I took a break from College with the intention of going back in a year to finish off.

It was a full decade later before I realized 12 months really was not that much longer in the big scheme of things. I certainly wished I had taken advantage of the increased earning potential for that decade.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:24 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
If we're voting, I would say you should stay with it and don't lose momentum. If three years doesn't prepare you for year four, how have those same three years prepared your peers.

That makes sense. At the same time, I remember confusion. I was a mess. I had the highest grade in a couple of classes and a D in a class I loved (I didn't read the last chapter, which the final was on, because I was f'king working.)

On the other hand, I'm rather glad I didn't do that whole route. I later learned to like the arts, and a combo of the arts, architecture. I didn't know about all that when I was twenty.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 08:16 am
Well surprise surprise. Every last person I've asked has said I should not take a year off (well, a few people have no opinion). But I still feel strongly that I want to.

I have until the end of this week to decide. As eager as I am to take the year off, the many people telling me not to has feed the doubts in my mind. Since I was not awarded a scholarship this year, it seems unlikely I will get one if I take a year off (scholarships are mainly awarded on how well you perform academically, bursars look at your academics or your need of financial aid). I suppose I have a fairly good chance of being awarded the same bursary I have now, but I cannot say that with any certainty.

My mother is not too keen on me taking the year off. At first my father didn't want me to either, but later said he doesn't mind if I do.

And yea, I thought about who would want to hire someone with no degree and only looking to work for one year. Doesn't sound good.

Indeed there are some friendly mathematicians at my university (about half the faculty is friendly, in my estimate). Most of them are very busy people, and I don't want to pester them with my whining. They have enough to deal with without neurotic youngers babbling about trivialities to them.

It's a convoluted explanation of how I could be un-prepared -- and what about everyone else? -- and I'd rather not (and probably you'd like it too if I rather not-ed here) bore you with it when I have already written so much.

Would ya look at that? Looks like I've talked myself into staying? Well thank you very much everyone for your responses. I'll still be ruminating over the two choices until the end of the week. And I have already started applying for work. Thanks again everyone for taking the time to read all that and to respond.

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 09:16 am
@Quincy,
Yes, it definitely would be less selfish if you'd stay and finish up, especially
since you're on your parents payroll so to speak.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 01:00 pm
@Quincy,
I'm glad you decided to stay. From your original post, I was worried that some part of your wanting to take a year off was that you were intimidated by your early conversations about fourth year. I think you can overcome your lack of background more easily in an acedemic environment than trying to bring yourself up to speed while working.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 02:22 pm
And don't let those professors intimidate you. They are getting paid VERY well.
They work for you!! Make sure you get your money's worth.

Don't understand them or feel unprepared for your 4th year? Tell them and insist on tutoring.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 04:05 pm
I am so going to feel responsible if this doesn't work. The worst thing that can happen is that someone takes your advice, and remembers where they got it.

Good luck, Quincy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 04:15 pm
@Quincy,
Would you be able to earn enough in a year off school to pay for a year at school?

0 Replies