University - Taking a Year Off.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 04:19 pm
@Quincy,
Quincy wrote:
I'd like to do my Masters and PhD overseas, if possible, since my university's mathematics department is weak.

If your school's mathematics department is weak, why are you bothering to complete a degree there? would it not be better to transfer to a school whose graduates would be more acceptable to graduate programs at other schools?

What is the rate at which graduates of your mathematics programs are accepted into other, stronger, universities?

Have you looked at the criteria of the universities you'd want to go to after finishing your fourth year? Will you meet the required standards?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 04:23 pm
@Quincy,
A budding Albert Einstein perhaps.
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 02:09 pm
In short: I am leaning towards staying, but for a reason which seems like a bolt from the blue. I have performed poorly so far in my degree. Even if I aced this last year -- unlikely -- I have a small chance of being accepted into a Masters program. Even if I am accepted, I would make a bad student because I have such a weak background in mathematics. Therefore, it seems to me that taking a year off is immaterial, either way it's unlikely I'll end up in post-grad. When I have so little to gain by taking a year off, and much to loose if I do, it makes sense that I continue with my studies and not take a year off. There is the possibility that I fail this year, but that's life. The convenor said the department doesn't re-admit students who fail the final year.

But it's not so glum. I'd be happy with only a bachelor's degree (undergrad degree). I can continue with my mathematics studies on my own after I graduate, and that is what I plan on doing. A PhD is a wonderful appellation, something to be very proud of, and it brings better job opportunities, but I love mathematics and I think I will be happy if I am studying it, regardless whether it is at a university or on my own. Also, I am not too concerned with money; but that's glib because I am not working and never have: my parents support me.

This is how I am feeling at the moment. Since my last post I have spoken with the course convenor again, and with one of my course lecturers. The former thinks I should stick it out, unless I feel very strongly that I will not succeed this year. The latter began by telling me to stick it out, then told me to take the year off, then ended by suggesting I stay on. We had a long talk. Well tomorrow is the last day I have to continue my vacillation. I want to speak to the department head -- this is what the convenor suggested -- and I want to speak to one more professor. The department head should be able to confirm my fears about my eligibility to continue on to graduate studies. Then I must make my mind up.

Let me answer the posts made since my last post:

@CalamityJane: Yes, since my studies will be fully paid if I stay on, this is just another reason for it.

@engineer: My one lecturer did suggest I rather try to make up my background while studying. I'm still un-sure of this. How can I try to learn the fundamentals while learning material that builds on them?

@sullyfish6: One lecturer has offered to be available for pestering! I should probe my other lecturers...

@roger: :p Don't worry. It is my decision in the end and only I can take responsibility for it. You can not force me to change my mind, I must make the choice, so it is my responsibility.

@ehBeth: If I work full-time, I may be able to. But finding a full-time job today is difficult. Also, a full-time job would probably detract from my energy and time for studying. If I work part-time I will not earn enough to cover my tuition, in all likelyhood. But it will give me much time to study.
Until several years ago the mathematics department at my university was quite good and some students did make it in to over-seas universities. Some even ended up at Cambridge, Oxford, MIT etc., but that was several decades ago (1950s, 1960s, 1970s). For some reason unknown to me, the department lowered their standards drastically a few years ago. I know this from the one lecturer I spoke to (the one I had a long conversation with).
Ionus

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:20 pm
@Quincy,
Quote:
How can I try to learn the fundamentals while learning material that builds on them?
The answer is in the question.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:24 pm
@Quincy,
Since it looks unlikely (based on your response) that you'll be able to get into a masters program, have you considered what type of work you'll be able to get with a bachelors degree in mathematics in a poor maths program v 3 years in the same program. In terms of employment value, is it worth continuing with the program? can you transfer to a better university to complete your degree with the marks you have?
0 Replies

Quincy

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 01:28 pm
Well now it's decided. I will definitely be doing this year. Mainly for the reasons outlined above.

@Ionus: yep, that's what I'll have to do now ...

@ehBeth: I have the bursary for this year so really it's free, and so from a monetary point of view, it makes sense to continue with this year. I do think my job prospects will be better if I complete the degree. Transfering to another university presents the same problems: funding, my lack of background, etc.

I can not be sure if I made the right decision, but now it's done. All I can do now is work as hard as I can. Thank-you very much everyone who replied to me.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 01:33 pm
@Quincy,
You're welcome, Quincy.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:24 pm
@Quincy,
Remember, people make their own luck. Keep your enthusiasm and you will do well. Best wishes.
0 Replies