Izzie

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 03:43 pm
@Diest TKO,
take care you TKO
x
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 03:46 pm
I'm stuck in suburban Washington DC (Potomac MD) - my son's house, looking wistfully at a scheduled flight back to California on Sunday evening, and at the 2 1/2 feet of snow visible on the roof of a nearby house. The snowfall has tapered off in the last couple of hours (it's 4:30 PM), however it is reported there may be more tonight. The Direct TV antenna is buried and delivering no signal - no superbowl for us. However we still have electrical power so we are fortunate.

After plowing the driveway we ventured out in my son's Toyota FJ but didn't get very far - some main roads plowed, but deep, wet snow prevented reliable movement.

The DC area is likely to remain paralyzed for a couple of days - perhaps longer if we get more snowfall. I understand that the area north of Baltimore near the PA/MD border got the worst of it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 03:49 pm
Sounds like Georgeob got cutoff in mid transmission.
You could fly out of Harrisburg (if you can get there from where you are). Harrisburg will be up and running with min delays by this PM the snow wasnt as heavy to the NW
georgeob1

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 03:50 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks, but right now we can't even get to the DC beltway.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 03:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Understand (from another thread) you were a bit under the weather ebeth. I hope you are OK now. Set can be a bit testy even under the best of conditions - I hope he is well also - at least for the neighbor's sake..
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 03:55 pm
@farmerman,
What did you get in your neighborhood farmerman?

farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 04:05 pm
@georgeob1,
dont know, but its almost up to the patio walls which are 3 ft high.

Birds are panhandling all day, never saw so many cedar waxwings and finally saw the mess of cardinals that were absent most of the winter (till now).

Our Cooper hawk that lives in the old silo is having a field day catching little birds at the feeders. Just like wildebeest, there is safety in numbers but someones gonna take it for the team.
sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 04:14 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

dont know, but its almost up to the patio walls which are 3 ft high.

Whoa!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 07:47 pm
georgeob1 - I here MD has been having power problems, so you're lucky. I drove on the beltway and budgeted an extra hour for travel time. I ended up not needing it. The highways are in pretty good condition my my standards, but I love driving on snow, so I'm just weird like that. My suggestion: try and clean off the satellite dish. No reason to miss the Superbowl.

I brought extra clothes with me to work just in case I'm trapped here for a few days.

My roommate is stuck in Rome. I can think of worse problems to have... lol.

Heads up, more snow to come Tuesday and Wednesday. So even if they get the roads clear, they might just be crap again. I could be stuck at work until Thursday morning.

T
K
O
ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 07:58 pm
@CalamityJane,
And muddy near the Station Fire area... uggy poo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 08:03 pm
@Diest TKO,
Gee, TKO, I hope you aren't stuck at work all that time..
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 08:09 pm
@Diest TKO,
Our problem is in the immediate neighborhood - the roads haven't yet been plowed (though happily we still have electrical power). I also just learned my flight tomorrow was cancelled. I suspect I'll bei n a large crowd of folks trying to make alternate arrangements - amidst all the confusion.
farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 08:32 pm
@georgeob1,
The hiway depts are flat our of cash, The State has been doing only the barest min of plowing and Maryland is even in worse shape since theyve had two more snows in the western part of the state and the previous one in December which ws statewide. The funds for the winter are set aside on a fiscal years budget .
georgeob1

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:10 pm
@farmerman,
Well, I was fortunate - I got a seat on a flight leaving Monday evening - before the next snow hits Tuesday. Now all I need is for the local neighborhood to be plowed sometime before then. This area is not well connected to other roads and the streets here don't lead anywhere else, so I suspect they are rather low on the priority list. Several trees around here have fallen due to the accumulated weight of the damp snow - one on my son's garage - great for snowballs though.

I'll go have another glass of wine and play with the grandkids if they are still awake.
farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:31 pm
@georgeob1,
Youre safe. Ive heard the next storm will be fairly monor, but the storm after that ( on Valentines weekend) will be another bitch.

Enjoy your extra days with the family. Thats an unex[pected gift.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:41 pm
The snow is melting in Ogden Utah and we are getting ready for spring. It was a light winter.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:54 pm

I just want Idlewild to remain open on Monday A.M. for my flite to Florida.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 02:16 am
As i sit here in a pair of short shorts and no shirt i have heard things are not so good in the snow department.

i'm emailing hot air to farmerman as fast as my dual core processors will go.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 03:35 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
As i sit here in a pair of short shorts and no shirt i have heard things are not so good in the snow department.

i'm emailing hot air to farmerman as fast as my dual core processors will go.
Its below freezing in NY, only 21 degrees,
but we have no snow.
0 Replies