Seed

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 01:25 pm
So there are a million rules set on time travel. Some seem as if they are a bit wishy washy in the fact that they aren't always followed when ever brought up about time travel. Like the one where it states you and your future or past self can not share the same space. That is not the point of this post though.

The one big rule that seems to be pretty straight forward and doesn't budge is the fact that if you change one thing in the past it can be a pretty huge impact on the future, so much in fact that you might not even be alive.

Where is my question to you all. If you could go back in time, knowing that what you did might mean that you wouldn't be alive to see the fruits of your labor, would you say go back and kill Hitler? Or would you stop someone you knew from getting killed?

If you knew you might not be alive in the next instant, would you change the future?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 3,126 • Replies: 12
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 01:36 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:
Where is my question to you all. If you could go back in time, knowing that what you did might mean that you wouldn't be alive to see the fruits of your labor, would you say go back and kill Hitler? Or would you stop someone you knew from getting killed?

Your question runs afoul of "The Paradox": *if* your actions erased your own existence, then you would not exist to go back in time and erase yourself (unless of course there are multiple parallel time lines, in which case you would be safe no matter what you did).

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 01:45 pm
i time travel every night, i close my eyes and when i open them again, it's the future (by about 6 hours)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:27 pm
Hollywood isn't a competent authority to determine anything at all about time travel. Anything figured out will be figured out by physicists.

Yes, I would go and kill Hitler, but only if I got to come back and resume something approximating my life.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:32 pm
I recall a read about a man that went to the past and could not return to his own time. Eventually, he had to reach the time when he was born. The question whether he could occupy the same time with himself was answered by the fact he had been in the past long enough for all his cells to be replaced. Therefore he was not the same person.
0 Replies

Artificial

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 08:10 pm
By asking this question you need to take in account every single paradox related to time travel - For example, if I travel back in time, and go on a viking onslaught, one of those vikings might happen to be my ancestor (I am Danish). Therefore, I will not be born to go back and kill him, ergo I will not have killed him, which makes me alive and able to go back, ergo I will have killed him, and so forth for hours on end.

Questioning time travel as a whole is a long shot, as it will (by the law of nature) never be possible. For you to travel time, you must be able to travel above the speed of light (as explained by special relativity) and seeing as that is not possible, nor is it for you to travel in time.

HOWEVER, hypothetically speaking, if I could go back I would not change a thing. I am well aware a lot of innocent people have died throughout time, but most of it has changed for the better. Besides, it really isn't my problem.
0 Replies

Pleasebelive112

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 09:01 am
Please listen to me! You seem to be the only people who will belive me. I know how to time travel. My future self visited me and told me something only i know. Please belive me! I can help with the theory he told me about that makes sense! Please.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 11:52 pm
Someone I dearly loved died recently. In my grief, I wanted to go back in time. I never took physics but I do know the scientific theories of alternate universes and time travel, at least on a superficial level.

I think biology trumps physics. Time travel is impossible. Dead is dead and he is not only dead, he donated his body to science, volunteered to become a cadaver.

I wanted to go back to 1967 and to rework the forces that separated us. But that would plunge us back into Vietnam. Would the dead arise again, along with him? Would we have to experience another Nixon presidency? Another Challenger disaster? Another Christmas tsunami?

Besides, how does one hail a black hole? A black hole is not exactly a taxi that one can command.
0 Replies

Abishai100

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2013 01:43 pm
@Seed,
Here's an interesting addendum to this "timeless" question: would a physically handicapped person be extra-intrigued by the intellectual excitement of time travel?

Imagination does after all help a person escape the dreariness of suffering, but since time travel (supposedly) alters our perception of causality and destiny, would a handicapped person (such as a deaf person) be somehow extra-curious about traveling back in time and witnessing something about destiny manipulation?

It seems that human beings, like the space-time physical universe, are also a sum of their parts...
0 Replies

jaruler

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2015 04:40 pm
@Seed,
Hi I am new to this site and i have been thinking of a time travel theory for a while now.

I find the main point many forget is an anchor point. You see when you want to go back 1000 years from your current position you will not be on earth but still in the same point in space 1000 earth years ago. So going back in time is just 1 stage. you need to be able to get to the place in space you want to be placed at. Now that is the tricky part. Now apologies i have not read anything on here yet so i do not know if someone like minded has already though similarly. My thoughts is that at first making an anchor point.

I was thinking what if this was created by a certain man made unique frequency that is constantly on from now and placed on earth. In the future you can tag on to this frequency but you can only go as far back as when the frequency was created. Or create this that allows data to be passed down through time as messages so that we can communicate to ourselves in the past at least.

Creating something unique like that made me think about microwaves and how they matter move and cause friction against other matter. Is it possible that several hundred of these highly focused microwaves focused onto one point. Each exciting this one small point and making the matter withing this move faster and faster by each microwave increasing its movement. To the point it moves at the speed of light! Thus creating the means to send messages down this light frequency from the future if it remains online.

what are everyone's thoughts?
0 Replies

jaruler

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 01:26 pm
kind of conversation killer was it? lol

What i mean

Is that this frequency that is in cased light, when the earth moves on its natural course, this frequency and point moves with it, securing your permanent anchor point to the earth. Then using the bandwith of this light and frequency we could send down data packets through this bandwith. It will travel at the speed of light and thus arrive in the past instantly. But only as far as when we created this anchor point.

Now though a question is will it only be able to be received at the start of when we created the frequency or can the data be read in the subsequent time leading up to before it was sent?

I do not think travel to the future is possible but this method also opens up the unique ability that it could used as a doorway back and forth. Could be possible to put data into the bandwith such as what the Chinese have done with teleportation of protons. These elements could be received in the future after we have figured out how to download all of what was required to make it possible to make such an item appear as it should. Or more easier at least be able to talk to the future with questions sent in data packets. Because once introduced into the light/frequency bandwith, it is in there and able to be accessed throughout time who has access. Therefore those in the future can see these data packets and send a reply message back into the bandwith. Possibly being able to tag it back and forth so the same message/data is edited each time rather than sending new data packs. Think of it like subspace email.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 03:11 pm

0 Replies

CHRISGREEN10

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 10:26 pm
@Pleasebelive112,
how so?
0 Replies