Alabama Senator Block ALL Obama Nominations Unless Pork Flows

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:56 am
Wonder why the deficit is so high? Senator Shelby of Alabama has put a "blanket hold" on all Obama nominations until Obama forks over money for his state. Given that we have one hundred people with this power, is it any wonder that government spending just keeps rising?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,371 • Replies: 11
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:39 pm
Well, politics IS the art of compromise.

(So much money being thrown around, wouldn't you want some?)

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:40 pm
@engineer,
Incredible hypocrisy from not only Shelby but anyone in his conference who supports this.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:52 pm
so which in your mind is more corrupt, the House or the Senate?
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:18 pm
There will be some in the GOP that will condemn this and others that will behind closed doors high-five each other because it causes Obama problems.

T
K
O
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:20 pm
mmmmm, pork
rabel22

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:47 pm
@dyslexia,
Yes!!!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:53 pm
Quote:
Then Senator Richard Shelby of Alabama put a hold on the 70-odd other administration nominations that are still pending. Everything came to whatever you call a screeching halt when the vehicle in question was moving at the speed of the Senate.

This was a dramatic gesture, one Shelby must have felt was so important that he took time out from his normal duties blocking all progress on creating a consumer protection agency for financial products.

Normally, a senator who’s feeling testy will just put a hold on one presidential nomination as Jim Bunning of Kentucky did last year when he stopped action on the confirmation of a deputy U.S. trade representative because he was upset that the Canadian Parliament was considering a bill to ban the sale of cigarettes with candy flavorings.

I am not making that up.
That was a normal Senate procedure. Now Shelby has upped the ante with a blanket hold on everybody. His incredibly grave reasons were the desire to see that a defense contract for a new tanker is awarded to a bidder who will do the assembly work in Alabama. Also, he feels that a new F.B.I. facility for testing explosive devices should be conveniently located in Huntsville.

“If this administration were as worried about hunting down terrorists as it is about the confirmation of low-level political nominations, America would be a safer place,” said a spokesman for the senator.

Yes, indeedy. We’re talking terrorism here, folks. A threat to the American way of life, which guarantees the right of every American senator, no matter how humble or dimwitted, to bring the democratic process to a standstill whenever he or she feels the mood.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/06/opinion/06collins.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 12:23 am
@djjd62,
Cracklings..

well, this is not my purview, but I know cracklings when I see them.

To wax ignorant for a moment, I'm not at all against infrastructure improvements, generally, though I may be specifically --

but from what amount I've read, the virtue of any given project seems not important - more, other considerations.
mismi

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 12:55 am
@ossobuco,
I am not absolutely clear on all of this...but didn't Obama just cut jobs in Huntsville by cutting the NASA program there? I need to further investigate...but maybe Shelby is just trying to see that the folks up there (namely my brother-in-law) get some jobs replaced for some that are taken away...I am not sure on the logic there...so don't berate me too much folks.

http://www.newser.com/story/79965/nasa-moon-shot-cities-blast-obama-cancellation.html

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/02/sen_richard_shelby_obamas_nasa.html

Whether the folks there are right or wrong - still - it is what they do, and they are losing it right? I understand that it is not a necessity...but so many things aren't...Apparently the folks in Huntsville are upset that we continue to pay for unnecessary wars and are cutting exploration, which they seem to think is the American spirit in action.

It's the first I have heard of it...so not defending Shelby...I just need to research some more...tomorrow when my brain is not half asleep.

mismi

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 05:51 pm
@mismi,
Okay - just ignore me. (y'all may just be - I understand) My husband said that my reasoning is flawed and that Shelby is just being a typical politician.

I should not post at 2:00am...ever, ever, ever, ever...
my apologies.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 05:57 pm
@mismi,
Quote:

Okay - just ignore me. (y'all may just be - I understand) My husband said that my reasoning is flawed and that Shelby is just being a typical politician

really? Ask your husband when was the last time that a senator put a hold on 40 or more nominations. For extra credit ask him what is the most holds that have been exercised by a single senator at one time.

You will feel smarter when you get the correct answers to these questions
0 Replies