Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:50 pm
Elizabeth Edwards
Baby scandal
Voicemails revealed.

My heart goes out to her.

engineer

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:54 pm
@sullyfish6,
At least she finally decided to ditch the bum.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:00 pm
For me it is still neck and neck as to which of the two is scummier. They can both rot in hell as far as I am concerned.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:02 pm
@sullyfish6,
My heart goes out slightly, as I see her as feeling trapped.
But mostly I'm nonplussed.. She knew this all could blow up early on (and past that, I've read there is past history), and he shouldn't have run*. She fostered it.

With different timing it could have obliterated the democrats' chance for office.

I am sympathetic re breast cancer, and have tempered sympathy for endeavor re politics.

*On the other hand, I see all this as a product of our amazing puritanism in the U.S. Who else on earth cares about this stuff, which has nothing to do with wise government - and all to do with gotcha sound bites.

It's an advancement in crap news.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
It's an advancement in crap news.

this is not trivial....he came alarmingly close to being our president. We need to stew in this story, repeating "never again, we will be more careful now"....
BillRM

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
he came alarmingly close to being our president.

So let name the presidents known to had fool around on their wives.

Of course we had President Kennedy and President Eisenhower and President Roosevelt and President Johnson and President Clinton.......................

If would be a shorter to names the men who we think was faithful to their wives instead.

All this date back to the founding fathers with Franklin bringing home a love child for his wife to raised from a still unknown mother and Hamilton affair with the wife of a conman who then blackmail him over it.

And of course President Jefferson with his affair with his dead wife black half sister.

What does the sex lives of our leaders have to do with anything at all?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:49 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
What does the sex lives of our leaders have to do with anything at all?

sex is like 2% of the story....what we thought we knew about them that turned out to be a fabrication perpetrated by them.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
this is not trivial....he came alarmingly close to being our president. We need to stew in this story, repeating "never again, we will be more careful now"....

Reagan, Bush and Bush became presidents. So much for "never again".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
It's a kind of false alarm. Affairs are not that unusual or interesting, or even if interesting, so what. People get caught standing in the pristine behavior mode and subsequent lying.

I'm not an Edwards fan, but I see the whole swallow the career by fooling around process as almost silly, and mostly on the part of the populace and the news mongers.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:59 pm
Let this be a lesson to you all. Then next time I tell you someone's a scumbag; believe me. Wink
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:00 pm
BillRM is a scumbag.
OCCOM BILL

Hawkeye10 (Shorteyes) is a bigger scumbag.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Relax JTT. You’re just a twit. Wink
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
I didn't say the reportage was trivial though it was easy crap - the interest and the followup are sad/bizarre - but primed re the interest.

Edwards seems slinky sneaky, but of course I don't know him. But his actions and the media's take place, not in a vacuum, but within a culture of adults never ever ever having associations than with other than their avowed mates.

All reminds me of the book, Advise and Consent from years ago.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'm not an Edwards fan, but I see the whole swallow the career by fooling around process as almost silly, and mostly on the part of the populace and the news mongers.

You have your head in the sand, you don't want to deal with it, so you label it a sex story and dismiss it.

His most senior and trusted aid decided that the man is scum, and that his wife is a bitch, this story will not be dismissed so.....with the back of your hand, airs of superiority fuming, sniffing "it was only sex"......
JTT

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:06 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Bill, given your predilection for seeing others go thru inordinate suffering and death, I don't think there's a word in the English language that's quite up to describing you as a total package.

BillRM and Hawkeye are saints next to you. You might take some solace in the fact that you are pretty much the equal of Gob1.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:10 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
dont you think you have thrown you messiah complex around a2k enough for one year??

How about you rejoin us in 2011?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:13 pm
i'm not the biggest fan of billrm or hawkeye, but obill's superiority is getting tiresome
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
are you talking to me?

It is a sex story.

But there is a background of change in what sex we'll allow our politicians to engage in. For a long time, at least in my life time, reporters didn't report. Well, hey, Wilbur Mills.. and sometime later, Gary Hart.

They tend to get caught for lying when pressured to explain what is no one's business in the first place.

I'm not arguing that Edwards isn't any of many adjectives. I think whether he had sex with 'that woman' or any other president or contender had sex with any woman or man .. is not the issue that should be in the headlights of concern re national politics choices.

BillRM

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'm not arguing that Edwards isn't any of many adjectives. I think whether he had sex with 'that woman' or any other president or contender had sex with any woman or man .. is not the issue that should be in the headlights of concern re national politics choices.

AGREE one hundred percent.
0 Replies