Will you watch "Caprica"?

DrewDad

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:43 pm
@Thomas,
I watched a two-hour episode titled "Pilot". Is there more to the pilot than those two hours?

I suppose the thing that jumped out at me the most is that it's little more than a "Frankenstein" remake....
littlek

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:47 pm
@Thomas,
Thanks Thomas, very informative.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:19 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
I watched a two-hour episode titled "Pilot". Is there more to the pilot than those two hours?

No, those two hours are the whole pilot.

DrewDad wrote:
I suppose the thing that jumped out at me the most is that it's little more than a "Frankenstein" remake....

I think the important difference is that this time, it's the creator -- or rather the creator's father -- who starts out as a monster. The machine, by contrast, starts out as a nice, sensitive being whose self-image gets shaken horribly. There's a distinct scent of Kafka in the air: "When Gregor Samsa awoke from troubled dreams one morning, he found that he had been transformed in his bed into an enormous bug". Just substitute "Gregor Samsa" with "Virtual Zoe", and "bug" with "killer robot". That gives you her side of the conflict right there.

This is an important element in Caprica you don't have in Frankenstein. And that, in my judgment, is where the conflict underlying the series goes way beyond the conflict underlying Frankenstein.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:45 pm
@Thomas,
In the original Frankenstein, the monster didn't start out as a monster, either. It started as a tabula rasa, and became a monster when everyone responded to it as a monster.
Thomas

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:56 pm
@DrewDad,
That's interesting. I guess I'll have to put the original Frankenstein on my reading list then. All I know about the story comes from movies.
djjd62

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:58 pm
@Thomas,
definitely read the book
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:12 pm
@Thomas,
Here's an entirely alternate explanation for what the monster is....

Sex and death were intimately intertwined in Mary Shelley's day. Sex lead to pregnancy which lead to death in childbirth. Having sex with your wife could be condemning her to death.

So when the monster is animated, it kinda reminds one of something... else....

http://www.literature.org/authors/shelley-mary/frankenstein/

Quote:
It was on a dreary night of November that I beheld the accomplishment of my toils. With an anxiety that almost amounted to agony, I collected the instruments of life around me, that I might infuse a spark of being into the lifeless thing that lay at my feet. It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs.

How can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe, or how delineate the wretch whom with such infinite pains and care I had endeavoured to form? His limbs were in proportion, and I had selected his features as beautiful. Beautiful!--Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips.

Thomas

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:41 am
@DrewDad,
Grrr .... now Frankenstein is on my reading list.
Seed

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:40 pm
@Thomas,
it's on Bravo right now (east coast, and came on at 1 PM) and I got it DVR'd
Thomas

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 05:30 pm
@Seed,
So, what do you think about it?
Seed

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 05:39 pm
@Thomas,
I haven't watched it yet. I just recorded it so I can watch it later. Right now I am watching what I need to to watch up on Lost. I will watch it soon enough though.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 08:08 pm
I've (((cough))) finally gotten around to actually watching the entire Battlestar Galactica.

I've been marathoning the series for the past month. I have only 4 episodes left in season 3.

The problem with Caprica was it was too much religion, politics, and too little action compared to BSG. I always was hoping that the series would have assimilated more closely to BSG. When I was watching Caprica, I had only seen the BSG miniseries that was the prelude to the full blown TV series.
Irishk

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 09:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
'Bout time. I loved BSG.

Caprica, too, though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 09:56 pm
@Thomas,
Instead of declaring our Manifest Destiny to be Atlantic to Pacific, the should have listened to ol' Rog. Baffin Bay to Tierra del Fuego. Would have solved so many problems.
0 Replies