Will you watch "Caprica"?

Thomas

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:12 pm
Yesterday, the SyFy channel broadcast the debut of Caprica, a prequel series to Battlestar Galactica. Starting about two generations before the Cylons annihilate the 12 colonies of Cobol, Caprica's plot tells a depressing story:

• how humans came to create artificially intelligent machines,
  • how the machines' characters come to be mirror images of their human creators',
  • how a lethal conflict between the two civilizations that immediately develops,
  • and how the whole thing is amplified by religious intolerance on both sides.

Without giving away too much of the plot, I'll just say I liked the pilot. (If you've missed it, you can rent it from Amazon.com. Well, maybe "liking" is not quite the right word. Caprica messes with your mind in the same ambivalent ways as Galactica did. But, it's a nice setup for future episodes of gratuitous explosions, mind-wrenching speculations on the nature of humanity, creepy perspectives on messed-up relationships, and plenty of needless cruelty, both physical and emotional. I think I'm gonna stick around.

Is any of you A2Kers watching it, too?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 3,888 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:16 pm
@Thomas,
I would if I got that channel! Laughing
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:21 pm
@Thomas,
I watched the first part of the pilot last week. I guess I'll give it a continued try.

I watched it on hulu.com for free.
Thomas

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks for the Hulu link, Stepan. I hope that helps you too, Reyn?
djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:28 pm
@Thomas,
nope, no hulu in canada
Thomas

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:31 pm
@djjd62,
I'll never understand this whole separation thing between Canada and the USA. Much would be better in this world if the Founding Fathers had just shut up and paid their bloody taxes. But I digress.
djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:31 pm
i bought the DVD a few months back (haven't watched it yet) and thought it was a standalone film, now i've gotta find a way to watch the series (not that's too difficult)
Thomas

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:33 pm
@djjd62,
Satellite TV, perhaps?
djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:34 pm
@Thomas,
nope only rabbit ears here
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:44 pm
@Thomas,
I have it on DVR, but I haven't watched it yet.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 08:15 pm
@Thomas,
I'm watching it now. Just finished the pilot.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 08:26 pm
@Thomas,
After the intellectual wasteland that crowned the Galactica series I hesitate to trust this one. Also it's too painful watching yet another civilization tear itself apart trying to convert everyone to "one God", it's like watching the Cylon Waltons.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 09:30 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
After the intellectual wasteland that crowned the Galactica series I hesitate to trust this one.

Ditto.

I also watched "The Plan", where the Cylon plan was explained. For an assault 30 years in the making, it appears that their planning left something to be desired.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:01 pm
I'm a little confused. I watched this pilot (with the young girls in their virtual world, the bombing of the train, the partnering/dueling/grieving fathers, etc) last spring or summer. The series starting now is a continuation of that? Have there been any shows besides that pilot I mentioned above? If so, are they on hulu yet? Also, The Plan, when did that come out?
Irishk

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:22 pm
@Thomas,
Thanks, Thomas. But for your post, I'd have missed this entirely. Watched the pilot on Hulu and DVR'd "Rebirth" to watch later on TV. I get a kick out of futuristic stuff like this. How cool was the way Zoe mailed that letter on the train? LOL
Thomas

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:37 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
The series starting now is a continuation of that? Have there been any shows besides that pilot I mentioned above? If so, are they on hulu yet?

Yes, yes, and yes-and-no. Yes, the series is a continuation of the pilot. Yes, there has been one new episode yet: They've split the pilot into two halves and broadcast them as episodes one and two on January 22. Episode three, which is genuinely new, aired on January 29. Hulu says they're uploading the episodes four days after they air. Accordingly, both halves of the pilot are now available, and episode 3 will be available February 3. You can click here for a look at them.

littlek wrote:
Also, The Plan, when did that come out?

According to Wikipedia, "The film premiered exclusively on DVD, Blu-ray and digital download on October 27, 2009. It premiered in January 10, 2010 on Syfy." In my personal opinion, you didn't miss much if you missed The Plan. To me, it didn't feel like a story in its own right, but rather like an after-the-fact rationalization of inconsistencies in the regular series.
djjd62

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:40 pm
@Thomas,
so if i haven't seen BSG, there's no sense trying to see this The Plan thing

Syfy tells me i don't really ned to know anything about BSG to watch Caprica
Seed

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:43 pm
I would like to watch it, but I missed it and seeing as I am on dial up Hulu.com is not an option for me either. If they end up re-airing it before the show starts I will have to do my best to catch it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:46 pm
@djjd62,
Both true.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:52 pm
@Irishk,
The letter did look cool; but apparently, the wireless providers on Caprica suck as badly as ours do. Notice that Zoe's letter never made it to its destination.