0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:11 am
@engineer,
That certainly makes me feel better. Thanks. Very Happy
0 Replies

Irishk

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:21 am
I turn it off every night, plus rebooting several times a day if I'm doing any heavy video editing. Leaving it on all the time seems to slow it down.
ebrown p

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:48 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
The FIOS doesn't, so IMO it is vulnerable all the time. I have Norton Internet Security, but is that enough?

That depends on what you are hiding. If you have corporate secrets, or the names of covert American agents... then no, that is not enough.

If you have your personal budget and letters and pictures of grandkids, then yes, Norton is plenty fine.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 11:38 am
@Irishk,
You might consider getting a more powerful video card with more on-board memory. Any video-rich or image-rich application will eat up all of your resources (RAM, Virtual memory, on-board video card memory) pretty quickly--so it is probably not your imagination that it "slows down." This is why computers which are sold to gamers have the most up-t0-date video cards with the largest available on-board memory (memory additional to the RAM). Look at your virtual memory settings, too. I have goosed mine up to 3 gigs to accommodate my video games.
BillRM

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 12:34 pm
Running your internet browser in a sandbox would add a lot of extra security for zero cost.

A great program and "free" by the name of sandboxie is available for downloading from the net. The programmer does wist payment but the non-register version one does all you need to have done and more.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 12:41 pm
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Sandboxie

Sandboxie 3.42
Developer(s) Ronen Tzur[1]
Stable release 3.42 / 2009-12-1; 58 days ago
Written in C++
Operating system Microsoft Windows
Platform Windows 2000, XP, Vista & 7 (32 bit versions only)
Available in English, Chinese (Simplified), Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese (Brasil) and Turkish.
Development status Active
Type Security
License Shareware[2][3], Nagware
Website www.sandboxie.com
Sandboxie is a proprietary sandbox-based isolation program developed by Ronen Tzur, for 32-bit Windows NT-based operating systems.[1][4][5] It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive.[1][6]An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing. [6][7][8]

Version 3.36 of Sandboxie added partial 32 bit Windows 7 compatibility, for build 7000. Version 3.38 adds additional Windows 7 support, for build 7100. Version 3.40 adds full support for Windows 7, as well as security improvements and minor fixes. Version 3.42 improves on Win 7 support, adds new settings, and improves compatibility with 3rd party software.

Contents [hide]
1 64 Bit Windows
2 License
3 See also
4 References
5 External links

[edit] 64 Bit Windows
Sandboxie is no longer developed for 64-bit editions of Windows XP, and the developer has no plans to support future 64 bit Windows versions.[1] In the past, Sandboxie was usable on 64 bit editions of Windows XP, provided that the user bypassed Patchguard. However, an updated and revised Patchguard included in hotfix "KB932596" makes this impossible.[2] Although uninstalling the hotfix will allow a user to run an older 64 bit version of Sandboxie as before, doing so could expose the kernel to unauthorized modifications. The 3.43 beta includes support for 64-bit Windows. [1]

[edit] License
Sandboxie is released under a proprietary End-User License Agreement (EULA). Certain functions of Sandboxie such as parallel usage of multiple sandboxes are blocked in the free unregistered version of Sandboxie.[8] After a 30 day period, users of the unregistered free version will encounter popups advising the user to register (buy) the product when loading.[1]

[edit] See also
Sandbox (computer security)
Deep Freeze
iCore Virtual Accounts
Windows SteadyState
[edit] References
^ a b c d e Olzak, Tom (December 15th, 2008). "Use free sandboxing software to isolate risky behavior". TechRepublic. http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=693. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
^ a b "Sandboxie 3.34". PCAuthority. http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Download/128586,sandboxie-334.aspx. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
^ "Sandboxie 2.64". PCWorld. http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,64708-order,4-page,4/reviews.html. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
^ Kassner, Michael (January 20th, 2009). "Minimize risk when downloading from the Internet". TechRepublic. http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/networking/?p=801. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
^ Grimes, Roger A. (December 15th, 2008). "Sandbox Security Versus the Evil Web". PCWorld. http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151706-5/sandbox_security_versus_the_evil_web.html. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
^ a b Pash, Adams (May 7th, 2007). "Featured Windows Download: Safely test new software with Sandboxie". lifehacker.com. http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-windows-download/safely-test-new-software-with-sandboxie-258255.php. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
^ Martin. "Ghacks Christmas Giveaway: Sandboxie". www.ghacks.net. http://www.ghacks.net/2008/12/06/ghacks-christmas-giveaway-sandboxie/. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
^ a b Horowitz, Michael. "How to Defend Against Drive-By Downloads - Business Center - PC World". www.pcworld.com. http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/160300/how_to_defend_against_driveby_downloads.html. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
[edit] External links
Sandboxie: Blocking Web-Based Malware From Your PC (at eSecurityPlanet October 5, 2009)
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandboxie"
Categories: Computer security software | Spyware removal | Windows software | Windows-only software | Shareware | Windows-only sharewareViewsArticle Discussion Edit this page History Personal toolsTry Beta Log in / create account Navigation
Main page
Contents
Featured content
Current events
Random article
Search
Interaction
About Wikipedia
Community portal
Recent changes
Contact Wikipedia
Donate to Wikipedia
Help
Toolbox
What links here
Related changes
Upload file
Special pages
Printable version
Permanent link
Cite this page
Languages
Deutsch
EspaƱol
Italiano

This page was last modified on 12 January 2010 at 02:57. Text
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 12:51 pm
I keep all my printers unplugged until I wish to print something. I shut off the monitor and leave the CPU on if I'm going to be away for less than an hour. If I'm going to be away for more than an hour, I shut the CPU off too.

I keep my VCRs, stereos and other electronics unplugged until they're needed because they aren't used very frequently and I don't wish to pay for the pleasure of seeing the digital time display blink on them.

It's a matter of saving money and energy use on electricity, not what's good for the electronics.

0 Replies

Irishk

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 12:53 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You might consider getting a more powerful video card with more on-board memory. Any video-rich or image-rich application will eat up all of your resources (RAM, Virtual memory, on-board video card memory) pretty quickly--so it is probably not your imagination that it "slows down." This is why computers which are sold to gamers have the most up-t0-date video cards with the largest available on-board memory (memory additional to the RAM). Look at your virtual memory settings, too. I have goosed mine up to 3 gigs to accommodate my video games.

Thanks, that's exactly what happens. After a couple hours of heavy editing I sometimes get that "not enough memory" message and can't even save my changes at that point. The only thing that works is rebooting and then editing in small increments...save...and reboot. I'm not ready to buy a new system, so I'll try replacing the video card and adding more memory.

0 Replies

roger

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 03:04 pm
I put mine to sleep an night instead of turning off. The printer stays off unless I am actually using it. When I put the computer to sleep, I manually switch off the monitor. If I don't, it stays noticably warm, which seems like a lot of wasted power.

For what it's worth, if the computer is never completely shut down, the accounting program eventually fails to respond, and then I will have to reboot.
BillRM

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 03:30 pm
@roger,
Instead of using standby(sleep) mode you could used hibernate mode and that would get you the same results without consuming power of any kind.
roger

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 03:35 pm
@BillRM,
That was my understanding (from reading the literature), but in practice, if I ever let it go into hibernation by itself, I had to completely shut down with the power switch. I don't know why practice differs from theory on my machine, but I finally had to change the power options so that it never went into hibernation.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 04:48 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

As tsarstepan's link mentioned, turning your computer off does not protect against a power surge. If you really want to do that, you need to unplug it. A surge protector is usually enough, but you have to protect against every line coming in, phone, network, power.

I unplug my laptop every night before I go to sleep because I don't have a desk and I use my laptop mostly on my bed so I accidentally was doing the right thing all along.
Departure Whispers

Fri 5 Mar, 2010 07:09 pm
i usually keep it on and i rarely might turn it off and that would be if i decided to use the laptop for a while
0 Replies

BillRM

Thu 18 Mar, 2010 07:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I unplug my laptop every night before I go to sleep because I don't have a desk and I use my laptop mostly on my bed so I accidentally was doing the right thing all along.

My wife is the kind of person you do not wake up for any reason and once I had my laptop on my lap under battery power and then fell asleep.

Two hours later around 1 AM in the morning the very loud low power alarm went off. Not a good feeling be awoke in that manner and then trying to shut the damn alarm off before I and the laptop ended up in the dog house for real.
0 Replies

kolapskybernetes

Fri 19 Mar, 2010 08:44 am
random on/off.
sometimes i turn it off so i could cybertox.
sometimes i leave it on so i wouldn't feel so alone.
0 Replies

pushomikuor

Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:51 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I don't have even the slightest idea of what FIOS is, but yes, I do turn off my computer as soon as my work is done, be it day or night! Wink
0 Replies

phoenixlover

Sat 4 Sep, 2010 08:04 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I mainly use laptops now, and I rarely turn my computer off. Since it's a Mac it goes into sleep mode and wakes up well.

I'm not sure I would leave a desktop on overnight if I was running Windows, simply because of rampant infections/malware.
BillRM

Sat 4 Sep, 2010 08:33 pm
@phoenixlover,
A few comments first a laptop by it design limits run far hotter then a desktop so leaving it on shorten it components life more then leaving a desk top on for the same time period.

Second comment just leaving a computer on even if it hook to the internet is very unlikely to open it up to a malware attacks unless you are running a server.
0 Replies

MrIVI

Sun 27 Feb, 2011 03:00 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I never turn off my computer, and I live in a region where the power goes out all the time. Never had a problem. Just reboot, and everything still works. Basically I only ever reboot when the power goes out.
0 Replies