Twin girls both diagnosed with Leukemia.

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:16 pm
I remember these two, they ran around like crazy things when we were at one of the hospitals with Lil.

Quote:

The Daily Mail

Identical twins both fight cancer: Girls, 4, fall ill within a week of each other

As identical twins, Megan and Gracie Garwood do everything together.
But the bond between the four-year-olds is even stronger now after an incredibly cruel stroke of fate.
Both were diagnosed with leukaemia within a week of each other.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/22/article-1244953-07F4B0A1000005DC-974_468x582.jpg

First Megan, and then Gracie, the elder by two minutes, fell ill and were immediately put on courses of chemotherapy.
Five months on the sisters are still battling the disease - though they are out of hospital and were able to spend Christmas with the family at home.
'To see both girls in hospital undergoing the same treatment side by side was an living nightmare,' said their mother Emma. 'I struggle just to talk about it without getting upset.'
Last August Megan started looking tired and off- colour. Her GP immediately referred her to hospital.
Mrs Garwood, 38, who has another daughter, Martha, two, said: 'Suddenly a doctor says your daughter has cancer and moments later we are being rushed to Addenbrooke's Hospital [in Cambridge] in an ambulance.

Then at midnight you watch your daughter begin chemotherapy.'

Mrs Garwood and her husband Mark, 35, who runs a car dealership in Hatfield Peverel, Essex, were reassured that the chances of Gracie having the same disease were remote. But days later she, too, became unwell.
'We took Gracie to Addenbrooke's and asked if she could be checked,' she said. 'Before we knew it she was moved into the bed next to Megan. It was heartbreaking.
'From that day we did not leave the hospital for nine weeks. You want to stay positive but I experienced some terrible dark moments.'
In November, the family moved to their new home. By then the sisters were being treated as outpatients. But they are still going to hospital every week for chemotherapy and their parents, from High Rougham, Suffolk, have been told it will be at least two years before they can be given the all-clear.
Mrs Garwood said: 'Terrible as it was to have both diagnosed at the same time, if they both had to have it, then much better that they went through it together.'
Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia is the most common form of cancer in children. If left untreated it can kill within weeks. However, with an early diagnosis, the cure rate in children is more than 80 per cent.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1244953/Mother-tells-living-nightmare-BOTH-twin-daughters-4-diagnosed-cancer.html

And I thought we had it hard.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 4,471 • Replies: 8
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:24 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
What an adorable pair. That must be excruciating for them and their loved ones.
AbbieMcKenley wrote:
And I thought we had it hard.
You did Abbie. How are you?
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:33 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Not too bad thanks, getting a new doggy hopefully tomorrow.
Smile
I spoke about it with my dad and uncle, because i realised how worried i was to change anything in our room, or the house even, so i though by getting a new dog, it was like making a big change, so any other changes won't be so differcult, especially for my brother and sister. Plus it'll distract us all, my dads developed a tendancy to wander around "fixing" (breaking) things for something to do.

I'll put pictures up when we get him, he's so cute! Lilia would have loved him.
Izzie

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 09:32 am
@AbbieMcKenley,
Quote:
However, with an early diagnosis, the cure rate in children is more than 80 per cent.

they are adorable. wishing well...

Hey Abbie...

What breed of dog are you getting?

Your Dad is dealing in his way, break something, fix it, break something, fix it - if it's helping him, that would be good - that reaction is "normal"... in as much as anything/nothing is quite normal right now. Understandable reaction.

Getting a dog will be great for your younger siblings too.

It's good to see you here Abbie. I read some of your posts on other threads and really, you are absolutely a remarkable young lady. Keep on posting - you are a delight to have around on A2K Very Happy
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 10:33 am
@Izzie,
She's a golden retriever, should go nicely with the balck lab we already have. Belongs to a man we know who owns a farm about a mile away. He's got about 15 dogs that he's rescued over the years.

Well, the one he's giving us is about 2 years old, we didn't want a puppy because they can be a bit too hyper.
She's called Zulu, she's the most obedient, gentle dog i've ever come across, really lovely, and she doesn't seem to mind leaving her owner or the rest of the dogs, which is a good sign, i'd have hated for us to drag her away if she wanted to stay.

The only problem with her is she eats everything.
Pencils, paper, sweet packets, straight in her mouth...

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/AbbieMcKenley/345.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 10:47 am
@AbbieMcKenley,
The twins are wonderful....

Zulu, what a love!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:47 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
Good idea and a great choice! Love the pic of him chomping on the credit card! Very cute!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:49 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
Zulu is gorgeous! She reminds me of my Susie - a golden retriever that was my first "child" many, many years ago. She's the perfect age -- still excitable (and chewy) but almost ready to start calming down. She'll be great with the younger kids too.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 03:11 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
Ah, she's wonderful Abbie - I think you will have a lot of fun with her.

0 Replies