What does Scott Brown's win mean?

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 02:54 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I have been wondering who the Republicans are going to pick for the new majority leader...

Harry Reid's evil twin. You can tell it's his evil twin because of his mustache and goatee.

Ex.: Evil Spock...
http://www.tonyskansascity.com/march08/spockgoatee.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:54 pm
@parados,
I lost over five grand in the past two days, and expect more loss in the coming days. At this rate, bonds are going to look good to most investors, and they're going to escape the stock market in droves for the foreseeable future.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:07 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
I have been wondering who the Republicans are going to pick for the new majority leader...
Mr. Brown, r u the guy who was elected to Kennedy 's old seat?

Y is there a GREEN HAND next to your name ?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 08:14 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

That's funny. Really, I got a laugh out of it.

I don't really expect you guys to lose either majority, even in the November elections. I do visualize a few candidates modifying their viewpoints to stay in office, but that's what politicians do.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 09:03 pm
@roger,
Even then, we won't know where they'll stand on issues. Political affiliation doesn't have much meaning except for the republicans and some democrats who have turned into the No Party.

You want my vote? Give my state a few billion in benefits.
roger

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Of course we won't know. Modified viewpoints just to remain in office are subject to further modification as the need arises.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:33 pm
it is a vote of no confidence in Washington, just as the election of Obama was. We will continue to vote no confidence in Washington until such time as we get some.

I don't think that this happens without reforming or replacing both parties, which is going to take time. The teabaggers are attempting to reform the GOP, there is as of yet no parallel movement to reform the Dems.
Irishk

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I like that we've got both parties running scared right now. Not to sound mean, but I hope they're ALL quaking in their boots. I think a message was sent last Tuesday in Massachusetts and that message was L-I-S-T-E-N!! Hear us or you, too, will be looking for employment. No one is safe, regardless of which letter is behind their name.

They're all supposed to be working for us, not the other way around.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
Makes sense; the No Party provides no support for what the democrats wanted to do. We can expect for the next three years to have a president and congress accomplishing almost nothing for the American people. They'll continue to spend money that really isn't there, and forget about Main Street, because companies will buy their way into most of the legislation that comes out of congress and this president.

Where's Palin?
Irishk

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hopefully in Alaska.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 12:47 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Makes sense; the No Party provides no support for what the democrats wanted to do. We can expect for the next three years to have a president and congress accomplishing almost nothing for the American people. They'll continue to spend money that really isn't there, and forget about Main Street, because companies will buy their way into most of the legislation that comes out of congress and this president.

Where's Palin?
The BEST and most patriotic thing that thay can DO is NOTHING.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 01:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
They are what is known as "busy-bodies." They are good at creating work that isn't there. Look at all the nonsense funding they spend on studying the sex habits of worms (a good example).

Pemerson

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 01:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
According to today news (Austin Statesman) people of Massachusetts like their universal health care just fine. They just don't think they should pay for it elsewhere:

Brown said on the campaign trail that MA had taken care of its own uninsured and that it wouldn't be in the state's interest to contribute to an effort to cover the uninsured in other states.

Brown's message underscores the fact that rates of the uninsured vary widely, from 8 percent in MA to Texas, where an estimated 25 percent lack insurance. Also, the regional dynamic is more stark in health care reform: As it stands, the federal government shares the cost of medicaid coverage based on states' income, ranging from a 50-50 split in the richest states to 80 percent in the poorest.

But, under the national legislation, that disparity could grow in a way that doesn't necessarily accord with state wealth. Many states, and not necessarily the poorest, set stringent terms for Medicaid eligibility, while others have eased entry. In Texas, parents qualify for Medicaid only if their income is below $5,720. In Wisconsin, New Jersey, Maine, Minnesota, Illinois, Connecticut and the District of Columbia, the cutoff is $40,000 or higher.

The legislation would set a single standard for Medicaid eligibility, about $28,000 or $33,000 for a family, and the federal government would pay almost the entire cost of newly eligible people. That means that states with looser standards would continue to pay as much as half the cost for a broad swath of people that in other states would be paid for almost entirely by the federal government.

"It's totally striking," said John Holahan of the Urban Institute. "The real beneficiaries of this are the states in the South and the West who are opposing health care reform."

So, who knows? Does anybody know what they are doing? I agree. The Feds should do nothing right now!
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 01:50 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson, Thanks for sharing that information; it's a very good explanation why we can't trust the federal government to reveal the impact of what they were trying to force on us. Their health plan had too many flaws, and nothing to show how they plan to save on the over-all cost of the plan.

This is truly a "redistribution of wealth" which is unfair and deceiving, and I also believe this congress' and president's pursuit of health care reform is a dead issue.

They have no trust left, and most congress members sold out to the health insurance industry.
Pemerson

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This is truly a "redistribution of wealth" which is unfair and deceiving, and I also believe this congress' and president's pursuit of health care reform is a dead issue.

Yes, yes. Bill Clinton never tried this "redistribution of wealth" on us.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:58 pm
from today's Bahstin globe...
Quote:
Brown says he won't be distracted by ‘partisan attacks’

Republican Senator Scott Brown won't be distracted from the issues by negative attacks, a spokesman said today, a day after Representative Patrick Kennedy reportedly described Brown's candidacy as a "joke."

"Senator Brown is eager to start working on behalf of Massachusetts families on policies that will create jobs and help the economy. He won't be sidetracked by negative partisan attacks that do nothing to help Massachusetts families find work," said Felix Browne, a Brown spokesman.

Kennedy, a Democrat from Rhode Island whose father held Brown's seat for 47 years until his death last year, said Thursday that "Brown's whole candidacy was shown to be a joke today when he was sworn in early in order to cast his first vote as an objection to Obama's appointment to the NLRB," according to The Hill's Blog Briefing Room.
A spokeswoman for Kennedy didn't immediately return messages seeking comment.

Brown abruptly announced Wednesday that he wanted to be sworn in Thursday, a week earlier than the Feb. 11 swearing-in his campaign had been planning. Brown has said he wanted to start working immediately on urgent issues, but his decision sparked speculation about his motives.

Brown declined to say Thursday whether he would take part in a Republican filibuster of an Obama administration nominee, union lawyer Craig Becker, to the National Labor Relations Board. Becker's nomination could come up as early as Monday, possibly providing Brown his first chance to join Republicans in blocking a Democratic proposal, the Globe reports today.

Kennedy told The Hill that Brown had gotten strong support from labor households and his first vote would be
"the most anti-labor, the most anti-what his constituents thought they were voting for when they voted for him."

Brown has called himself a "Scott Brown Republican" and the nation is about to find out exactly what that means. How Brown will vote is a matter of crucial importance to the state, both political parties, and the president, the Globe reports.

Kennedy's comments were the sharpest words yet from a member of the Kennedy family, known for its liberal politics, after Brown's stunning upset victory in the Jan. 19 special election against Democratic Attorney General Martha Coakley.

Former congressman Joseph P. Kennedy II, the late senator's nephew, said last week that his decision not to enter the Senate campaign "wasn't the greatest decision I ever made in my life." Asked if he regretted not running, he said, "The thought had crossed my mind."
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/report_patrick.html
djjd62

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:03 pm
@Region Philbis,
is patrick the one who sounds like he represents the lollipop guild
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:09 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
is patrick the one who sounds like he represents the lollipop guild
Just as long as he votes RIGHT
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 08:09 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Sorry for the derailing response...

Back to Scott Brown -- I don't know what his win means. My crystal ball is fuzzy. I hope it means that the "blue dog Dems" and "moderate Republicans" can start to have a louder voice in Washington.

I had a feeling I was gonna like this guy.

Quote:
A bipartisan jobs bill cleared a GOP filibuster on Monday with critical momentum provided by the Senate's newest Republican, Scott Brown of Massachusetts.

snip

"I came to Washington to be an independent voice, to put politics aside and to do everything in my power to help create jobs for Massachusetts families," said Brown, whose election last month gave Republicans the 41st vote that could sustain GOP filibusters. "This Senate jobs bill is not perfect ... but I voted for it because it contains measures that will help put people back to work."
more
Irishk

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:47 am
@JPB,
I like him, too. Got a nice thank you letter from him on Saturday and an email from his daughters. I hope he's right about the Jobs Bill...will wait to see how he votes on the healthcare bill.
0 Replies